ScummVM/Wii compilation instructions?

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Nintendo Wii port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Bossk

ScummVM/Wii compilation instructions?

Post by Bossk »

Can anyone (dhewg) tell me how to compile ScummVM for the Wii properly?
I have devkitPro + libogc (git) + libfat (svn + joedj's patches) installed, and scummvm svn checked out.

The configure script does not support the wii backend yet.
Last edited by Bossk on Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bossk

Post by Bossk »

Okay. I got it figured out.
I compiled the latest SVN checkout with the latest devkitPPC, libogc, libfat.
I also crosscompiled libmpeg2, libogg, libvorbis, libtremor.

This means I now have a Wii ScummVM binary with:

- SDHC support
- libfat speedups (no hickups in COMI)
- MPEG2 support for Broken Sword movies
- Ogg/Vorbis support

Only crosscompiling libFLAC is still a major pain, so no flac support for me just yet. Luckily I don't use flac ;-)

(Disclaimer: all compiled at work, haven't actually tested my scummvm-wii.dol yet. Will do so tonight.)
wfeltmate

Post by wfeltmate »

could you post how you did it?
I'm still trying to figure it out
Bossk

Post by Bossk »

You need the very latest versions of:
- devkitPro / devkitPPC (r15)
- libogc (I used the latest git, but svn may work too)
- libfat (I used the latest git, but svn may work too)

Having a proper uptodate compiling environment is the key.
Mr_Nick666

Post by Mr_Nick666 »

Did it all run ok is the question?
Bossk

Post by Bossk »

I haven't been able to test it yet.
I do have time tonight though, so I hope to report a success here.
Farog

Post by Farog »

i also hope you're successfull, because i only have an 4gb sdhc and a 128 mb sd card and the 128 one is a litle bit too smal for all the great scumm games ;)
wfeltmate

Post by wfeltmate »

Ok... I have devkitPPC(r15), libogc(git), libfat(cvs) and the latest scummVM(svn), but I keep getting a "support for wii backend not implemented in configure script yet" error during configure and a fatreadahead error when I try to run make(understandably, give the configure result).

What am I doing wrong here?
Bossk

Post by Bossk »

Yes, those are the versions you need.

The configure script indeed does not support the wii backed yet.
Go to backends/platforms/wii and call 'make' there. If everything goes well you will get a scummvm-wii.dol in that directory.
If you don't have libflac, libmpeg2, libtremor crosscompiled for the gekko you may have to edit the Makefile to disable those libraries at first.

BTW, Compiling scummvm with all engines and MPEG2, Ogg/Vorbis, FLAC support as I did results in a too large .dol ;-)
I'm getting an Out of Memory error when running COMI.

I'm hoping to fix that.
Farog

Post by Farog »

too bad, i realy want a version that suports sdhc cards, but i don't get how to compile it :(
wfeltmate

Post by wfeltmate »

I don't know how to get past this error, but I'll post the steps up until this point.
../../../backends/platform/wii/main.cpp: In function 'int main(int, char**)':
../../../backends/platform/wii/main.cpp:80: error: 'fatEnableReadAhead' was not declared in this scope
make: *** [backends/platform/wii/main.o] Error 1
1) Go here and follow the instructions. If you are running windows, then you should heed their advice and use the installer. If you are using most any flavour of linux, then you can create a directory anywhere(but I would really recommend somewhere within your home directory to be safe).

The example package isn't required at all, but as it shows on that page, the directory structure should look like this:

devkitpro
|
+-- devkitPPC
+-- wiiload
| +lin32
| +win32
+-- libogc

Wiiload should only have the folder for your OS. Linux = lin32 and Windows = win32. You can grab wiiload from here: http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Wiiload

1b) FOR LINUX ONLY. Edit ~/.bashrc and add
export DEVKITPRO=/path/to/devkitpro # replace this by your actual path
export DEVKITPPC=$DEVKITPRO/devkitPPC
PATH=$PATH:$DEVKITPPC/bin
PATH=$PATH:$DEVKITPRO/wiiload/lin32

2) Don't download libogc from that page. You will instead want to use and build it and then libfat from cvs. On linux(and possibly windows if cvs is installed) you can do that by using the following commands. Make sure that you have browsed to the directory you wish to download them to in your terminal/command prompt.

cvs -d:pserver:anonymous@devkitpro.cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/devkitpro login

cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@devkitpro.cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/devkitpro co -P libogc

cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@devkitpro.cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/devkitpro co -P libfat

3) You will then need to build/compile and install them. First you will need to do this to libogc. On linux(I don't know the steps for windows) this can be done by the commands make and then make install in the libogc directory. Next, in the libfat directory, issue the commands make wii-release and then make ogc-install

4) Download the latest copy of the ScummVM source code from the SVN, extract and browse to the backends/platform/wii/ directory and issue the command make. If all goes well, then it should build a .dol file for you.

As a note though, you may get some errors in relation to libflac, libmpeg2 and libtremor. If you do and it won't compile you will either have to cross-compile them(don't look at me) or disable them in the make file. To do so, simply open it in a text error and replace USE_TREMOR=1 with USE_TREMOR=0 and do the same for USE_FLAC and USE_MPEG2. Save, exit and try again.

If all goes well congrats, if not hopefully someone can point out where we are going wrong.
Bossk

Post by Bossk »

Ok several people have asked for SDHC binaries, so here they are. Please read the included readme.

I am not dhewg or a scummvm developer.
I don't know if dhewg approves of this, and hope he does not mind. If you do, please let me know.

scummvm-wii-SDHC_20081107.rar
joda

Post by joda »

Thanks a whole lot!
Farog

Post by Farog »

thanks Bossk ^^
I'll try it out as soon as i can, hopeing for good results ;)

also thanks to wfeltmate for posting the compiling steps ^^
Farog

Post by Farog »

ok, with this version the sdhc cards could be read, but the pointer of the wiimote doesn,t work :(