[SOLVED]scummVM just shuts down with no reason on n95 8gb

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Symbian (mobile phones, etc) ports

Moderator: ScummVM Team

sta6ka

[SOLVED]scummVM just shuts down with no reason on n95 8gb

Post by sta6ka »

well i think topic name say ewerything.. i instaled latest scummVM on my mobile phone, it deceted games... Full Throttle but after a whail of playing i just shots down... no error no nothing just brings me back to my phone menu... i tried Full Throttle demo from this site too but i got the same thing... i think it can be becouse of the latest firmware its V30.0.018 but im not sure.. so maybe you guys now the answer..

sry if there was topics like this.. i dint found it :P wiki too i gues
Last edited by sta6ka on Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hponso

Post by hponso »

SAme problem here with a nokia 5700 :(

i`ve tried everything, installit on the phone, the memory, uninstall taskman, etc. what can i do?
sta6ka

Post by sta6ka »

the geeks who made scummVM for smartphones are the best. but why noone gives a shit now? all those other ports arent soo popular...(in my opion wel maybe DS is good) anyway those games are best played on portalable devices... or maybe its becouse there arent many people who donate soo you dont help? aaa
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

sta6ka wrote:the geeks who made scummVM for smartphones are the best. but why noone gives a shit now? all those other ports arent soo popular...(in my opion wel maybe DS is good) anyway those games are best played on portalable devices... or maybe its becouse there arent many people who donate soo you dont help? aaa
First of all, your tone is not appreciated at all. We "geeks" do care.

This is a project which is done in our free time, and developers are people too, which means we may have issues with our life preventing us from devoting the necessary time. Also, a lot of testing is needed, and we just don't get enough feedback when we need it (especially when a new stable version is released), so problems like this one may appear.

As to which are popular ports, I believe you'll find that the WinCE port and the iPhone port are very popular too, but the argument itself is moot. All ports are "popular".

As for donations, we usually accept them when they are needed, not all the time, and the money is used to buy software necessary to do our work. As mentioned, we do this because we want to.

And since you are getting all of this for free, the best thing to do would be to help us with feedback or even better, programming, which is always appreciated. Whining that "it doesn't work" is not really helpful.
Chrius

=)

Post by Chrius »

Ive got the same problem sometimes, too. N73 shuts down scummvm without any error sometimes.

But here ive got to say a word to the developers:
Thank you for that great probgramm, i really like it =)
its pretty cool to be able to emulate so much games on my mobile phone also if there still some problems.

thanks a lot
VincentJ

Post by VincentJ »

I'm pretty sure I know the reason behind this. It's not a programming error, it's your finger.

The "Right Soft Key" (i.e. the one emulating the right mouse button) and "hang up" key are so close together you are accidently pressing the wrong button. On most Nokia phones, this is the "I want to exit this program and go back to standby screen". The game isn't crashing- the phone is doing exactly what you asked it to do. Therefore, no error message.If possible, rebind the right mouse button to another key. Otherwise, just keep it in mind. Take an extra microsecond to ensure your finger is pressing the "Right Soft Key" only and not both.

Don't post back saying you know what button you pressed. I own a N96 and done it myself twice so far. Still messing around with it rather than actually playing straight through a game, but I'm impressed how well the features and functionality have been ported over from the desktop versions.
darknova

Post by darknova »

Hello,
I also have this same problem with my N95-3 and at least Full Throttle. I've mapped my 'mouse' buttons to the media keys so I'm not pressing any wrong buttons. Also previous versions work fine. Unfortunately those previous versions don't support auto rotate which makes it hard to play in landscape. On the plus side the previous versions, by which I mean 11, have much higher max volume. The current versions sound is very low in comparison and at full volume isn't loud enough.

Devs, I also wanted to say thanks for the effort you put in to these ports. It is very appreciated.
sta6ka

Post by sta6ka »

just replaced those up, down, left, right keys with others ones like 1, 4, ,7 and5 and it works fine
darknova

Post by darknova »

sta6ka's comment led me to try something. Another thing I had noticed is that as I would used the d-pad cursor keys every once in while the game would think I pressed one of the 'mouse' buttons. The character would say something or move when I had not pressed any of the 'mouse' buttons. I can get it to do this fairly regularly by pressing the d-pad keys quickly, such as rocking the keys back and forth. This does not happen with previous releases.

Could there be something wrong with the hard coded cursor key mappings?