SYSTEM SHOCK 2

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

bophamet

SYSTEM SHOCK 2

Post by bophamet »

Does anyone know if it will be likley, that the programmade for running these older games, will be able to run system shock 2 & space hulk at all, please let me know thanks a lot chaps. :D :lol: 8) :wink:
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: SYSTEM SHOCK 2

Post by eriktorbjorn »

bophamet wrote:Does anyone know if it will be likley, that the programmade for running these older games, will be able to run system shock 2 & space hulk at all, please let me know thanks a lot chaps. :D :lol: 8) :wink:
I can't even tell if this is a serious question. :)

I also cannot imagine any of these games ever being supported by ScummVM. ScummVM is a collection of game engines for games that all happen to have a reasonably similar look and feel (point-and-click adventure games). Some people think that if ScummVM supports one game well, and another game has the same user interface, then supporting the second game is easy. Not so. They could be completely different beneath the hood. I mean, you wouldn't expect Quake to run Pac Man, just because both involve running around in mazes and picking things up, would you?

And to the best of my knowledge, the games you are asking about aren't even point-and-click adventure games, so maybe it's more like asking if Quake will do spreadsheets!

You may want to check out the DOSbox project. Rather than being a collection of engines, it emulates an entire Intel x86 PC, and is - in theory - able to run any DOS application. This means that it does run many of the games that ScummVM runs, and in some cases it might even do so more correctly. But it's also an awful lot slower than ScummVM, for obvious reasons.
Freddo

Post by Freddo »

A Dark Engine remake would be pretty cool. Way out of ScummVM's area, though. Thief 1 & 2 and System Shock 2 are powered by the Dark Engine.
clem

Post by clem »

pi

Post by pi »

That's indeed a nice project, bringing back all those sshock-related memories, but... it's not what Freddo meant, he was talking about the engine that powered the second instance of that wonderful series (aka. System Shock 2), as well as Thief 1&2.
Still, for a moment you really got my heart bumpin', just to think of an opensource port of Thief... 8)

pi~
siggie

Post by siggie »

As for running System Shock 2, you might want to take a look at http://www.ttlg.com/forums/ and head over to the System Shock section and read the sticky post about how to get SS2 running with Windows XP.