Wii Port Vs PC Port.....

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Nintendo Wii port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

MrTwister

Wii Port Vs PC Port.....

Post by MrTwister »

After I tested some german Lucas Arts games and some with a patch to make the good us FMTowns / talkie versions to versions with german text....
The problem is, at the PC version they run without any problems, but on the Wii the game crushes....

isn´t the wii version not the same like the pc version?
Badablek

Post by Badablek »

A game that works on ScummVM PC does NOT mean that scummvmWii can run it too.

ScummvmWii is a port of ScummVM, but it's not working as the PC version. Less RAM, not the same CPU (powerPC), no HDD, bad SD speed, bad USB speed....all games that are not too "heavy" run great on Wii...but if you want to play "recent/big resolution" games (Monkey Island 3, Broken Sword, etc...), you can have a lot of troubles in order to play it.
superfighter

Post by superfighter »

if you want to play some of the bigger games, youll have to compress allot of your files, the smaller the file the better the wii will read it off of your SD
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

That's not particularly true. My copy of Full Throttle crashes because of the OGG encoded sound file. I've heard that the uncompressed original plays fine. MP3 compression on the Wii also has noticeable sound lag I think as well.
buedi

Post by buedi »

The size of the Game should not be a problem I think. Zak FM Town has approx. 4.3 MB where Monkey Island 1 (PC VGA) has 4.1 MB. So they are nearly the same size. But maybe the limit is 4.2 MB, so we have no luck :-)

But I will search the Forum for how to compress the Game... I hope it is written somewhere and then try again.

cu...
superfighter

Post by superfighter »

i agree it shouldnt be a problem, but becasue of the wii's SD read issue, unfortunatly it is
zaccret

Post by zaccret »

What SD read issue ? Are you talking about speed ? Speed for a standard SD card is 0.9 Megabytes/s, I think that should be enough for such old games... (even for reading a movie, I guess)
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

I tried the first Monkey Island game with CD audio ripped to uncompressed .wav and then converted to .flac.
The music must come to about 205MB because once I'd added the 2 monkey data files the total size was 210MB.
I've played about half the game on my Wii and haven't noticed any lag or other problems.