Some issues regarding running ScummVM on i780

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's PocketPC/HandheldPC port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Smashingdude

Some issues regarding running ScummVM on i780

Post by Smashingdude »

Hi everyone,

First of all, I would like to congratulate the team for a fabulous work they have done in making ScummVM. You really deserve it guys!

I recently bought my new PDA phone, Samsung SGH-i780 and I thought why not give ScummVM Windows CE 0.12 a try on the phone. To my surprise it works very good, flawless. However I only tried Beneath a steel sky till now but the results were great. And yes, I have gone over the FAQ and Tutorials listed in the forums and only searching a lot I am posting this thread.

The issues which I am facing are :
1. Samsung i780 comes with an optical mouse(yes it does) ie the dpad is like the touchpad of a laptop so there is a live mouse running in WM6. My question is, cant I use this mouse in ScummVM since apparently it doesnt support it.

2. I move around the mouse with my stylus but it seems I cant look around much since the character directly walks to wherever I tap. Any idea to override this?

3. In the tutorial section of Upscaling, Menisyss mentions that in options-graphic, there are many modes like 2X or 2SAI etc. But when I go to options, I only see Default & Normal Scaling. No other options are mentioned. I even tried Editing options of the game(for Beneath a Steel Sky) but still there are no options in the drop-down menu. Any ideas? Maybe because Menisyss for refering to 0.10.0 version while I have 0.12.0 ?

4. Everything is perfect expect for the too small size of ScummVM. I know the phone supports only 320*320 resolution, so even if ScummVM runs in 320*240, I should see one solid block in the width direction (i mean below it). But instead its very small, there is one block above, one block below. And its much reduced when I run the game because the ScummVM In-Game menu takes some extra space. Isnt there any way to enlarge it since its pretty hard on the eyes. I tried all the options, the full-screen, correct aspect ratio but no luck. I mean some way of editing the ini or some other files?

I would really appreciate if someone can clear up these issues. I am sorry if these were asked before but I have searched all the forums (i did find one similar thread on square screen for i780, but it didnt have any solutions)

Thanks, and keep up the good work!
-Smash
knakos
ScummVM Porter

Re: Some issues regarding running ScummVM on i780

Post by knakos »

Hello,
Smashingdude wrote: 1. Samsung i780 comes with an optical mouse
Well, if this device was reporting proper mouse messages, scummvm would be supporting it right away. But it seems the mouse handling is some kind of driver tack-on functionality. Device-specific code is something that I wouldn't like to be doing in scummvm - think of how many different devices are out there.
Smashingdude wrote: 2. I move around the mouse with my stylus but it seems I cant look around much since the character directly walks to wherever I tap. Any idea to override this?
Bind and use the free look mode.
Smashingdude wrote: 3. In the tutorial section of Upscaling, Menisyss mentions that in options-graphic, there are many modes like 2X or 2SAI etc. But when I go to options, I only see Default & Normal Scaling. No other options are mentioned. I even tried Editing options of the game(for Beneath a Steel Sky) but still there are no options in the drop-down menu. Any ideas? Maybe because Menisyss for refering to 0.10.0 version while I have 0.12.0 ?
Scalers should be working as usual. If anything is not working properly I would appreciate a bug report. But last time I tried, they were working.
Smashingdude wrote: 4. Everything is perfect expect for the too small size of ScummVM.
OK, stretching to 320x320 would mean wrong aspect for the displayed screen which is not very nice (looks ugly), so in all probability full screen 320x320 will not be supported. As for the centering of the screen when the display size is larger than the playfield, it has been a common consensus that that is a 'normal' functionality, as opposed to aligning the screen on the top border, on the top-left etc. You can double tap near the top of the playfield to hide the scummvm menu bar and gain some more vertical space.

Thanks,
Kostas
NSCXP2005

Post by NSCXP2005 »

is it possible to match the mouse movements to the stylus?

I have a Samsung Omnia. When I use the stylus and tap to where I want to got in a game it does not go there, the mouse cursor is quite a distance away from where I press.

Do you know how it can be fixed? or will this be fixed in the next version?
Jez_Gafys

Post by Jez_Gafys »

If you want to play this correctly on the Omnia it can be played in either portrait or Landscape. But only one landscape orientation method works. You have to have the dpad on the right hand side (power at the bottom). If it's orientated with is on the left then for some reason the stylus seems about 2cm to the left of where you are actually clicking. I find from portrait mode I have to click the rotate button then I have to click a few cm to the right of the button again until it is at the correct orientation. After that it works fine.

The mouse cursor does not work because like mentioned it isn't a standard cursor it is like an overlay within the graphics drivers
CalaveraCafe

Post by CalaveraCafe »

I am Having the same problem on the Omnia in Scummvm WinCE 0.13.0
I don't have the option of 2x scaler. Just Normal(no Scaling) and Default while Playing Curse of Monkey Island.