EAX Support?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

KevinW

EAX Support?

Post by KevinW »

Hello there,

I don't know if it's at all possible, but as far as I know this hasn't been discussed on the board yet.

Would it be possible to add EAX support to scummvm? It could be used for SoundFX and Speech in indoor areas, adding the right reverb. Maybe some preset EAX variables (for rooms, caves etc.) could be set for the required rooms in the datafiles?

-Kevin
clem

Post by clem »

something vaguely related was brought up here:
http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=236&start=105

clem
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

But how would we know what's an indoor area, unless the original game already had such a feature? (Did they? I don't know. I think Grim Fandango may have, but that's not supported by ScummVM.)
JamesWoodcock

Post by JamesWoodcock »

EAX :?

Interesting idea I suppose, although I prefer the original voice recordings in this instance. I suppose on some games some slight voice alteration in reverb (and I mean slight!) could be added.

Not something I am very interested in if I am totally honest, but maybe down the line anything is possible.

I am more interested in music enhancements and finding the original voice recordings off DAT tapes so we can have CD quality voice.
KevinW

Post by KevinW »

@eriktobjorn

Tell me if I'm wrong, but isn't it possible to check which rooms of the datafiles are indoor areas? E.g. Day Of The Tentacle. For all mansion areas a short preset room reverb could be switched on. The room numbers for each game could be set in the scummvm executable or a seperate file.

@glidem

As EAX would be purely optional in this case, you could switch between the original recordings and the eax enhanced sound. At least I think it would be a nice feature, even for older games.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

KevinW wrote:Tell me if I'm wrong, but isn't it possible to check which rooms of the datafiles are indoor areas? E.g. Day Of The Tentacle. For all mansion areas a short preset room reverb could be switched on. The room numbers for each game could be set in the scummvm executable or a seperate file.
For all the talkie games from the list of 50+ games that ScummVM currently supports? I admire your patience. Let me know when you're done. :twisted:
KevinW

Post by KevinW »

yeah, I admit it's not something to be done in a day. Maybe someone knows a better way... or the support should be limited to a few titles...