Will the next version have DVD support?

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Nintendo Wii port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Graxer

Will the next version have DVD support?

Post by Graxer »

I have the Broken Sword Trilogy DVD and was wondering whether the Wii's DVD drive will be supported in the next release. This would be especially useful as an SD card is too small to contain more than one Broken Sword at once.

This may be more plausable than before now that DVDX exists and the drive can be used that way. I think it can be used without however.
clem

Post by clem »

From what I gathered on the forums here is that newer re-releases of BS1/2 come packaged as a windows installer, so ScummVM can't read those off the original disk. Not sure if the Trilogy DVD is like that too, but it wouldn't surprise me.

edit: also my BS1 is ~360mb, BS2 is ~730mb - wouldn't those fit on a 2GB sd card?
Graxer

Post by Graxer »

The Broken Sword Trilogy uses a modified version of ScummVM to play the games (Seperate icons for each game open ScummVM and go staight into the game without the ScummVM menu) so it works fine with the Wii version (The files on the DVD are infact what I copy onto my SD). It also says on the back of the box under operating system "Windows XP/Vista. DirectX 8.1. Broken Sword 1 & 2 compatable with all platforms supported by ScummVM"

Also the versions of Broken Sword I have are 1.04Gb for Broken Sword 1 and 1.00Gb for Broken Sword 2, so they just dont fit together on my 2Gb SD. My copies of the games (off of the Trilogy disc) have the cut scene files as can be found on the ScummVM site included too. Maybe thats what makes the size difference. They also work with the unmodified PC version of ScummVM without problems.

Thanks for trying to help though! :D

EDIT: To run the games on regular ScummVM I did have to copy the games onto my PC hard drive and move the contents of the "clusters" and "video" folders into the game's root directory to get it to work. This does mean I couldn't use the actual Trilogy DVD to play it. However I could still burn the files onto a recordable DVD which would be much more convienient than switching round which of the two games are on my SD card every time I want to play the other, and with other homebrew on my SD I sometimes have to clear room just to get one on.
clem

Post by clem »

It is possible to compress the audio in the Broken Sword games so that the games take less space.
Graxer

Post by Graxer »

Thanks! :D I didnt know this! Could you please tell me how I can compress it?
clem

Post by clem »

There are a number of command-line tools available from the download page. They come with a readme explaining things, also the tools list the command line options. There are already a number of posts about compressing the sword games on the forum, e.g. here.

You will also need to get the commandline encoders (lame or oggenc) separately.
zaccret

Post by zaccret »

Anyway, there are a lot of games that could be played by ScummVM directly from the CD (Day of The Tentacle, Sam & Max it The Road, Full Throttle...).

Do you plan to include DVD/CD support (using DVDx ?) ?

Thanks in advance.
chrisis

Post by chrisis »

CD support is absolutely impossible. The Wii's drive doesn't have the required laser to read a CD.
DVD support is theoretically possible, but I doubt it will be implemented, since I don't think, that there were many original releases of ScummVM compatible games that came on DVD. So it's quiet a bit of hassle (and mainly makes piracy easier) to implement it, and now that SDHC support is possible, this will surely be the better solution for the few big games (the talkies).
zaccret

Post by zaccret »

chrisis wrote:CD support is absolutely impossible. The Wii's drive doesn't have the required laser to read a CD.
Sorry, I didn't know that :(
chrisis wrote:DVD support is theoretically possible, but I doubt it will be implemented, since I don't think, that there were many original releases of ScummVM compatible games that came on DVD.
You may be right. In my case, I have purchased a bundle with a lot of CDs that I could put on a DVD. But if SDHC support is planned, it will surely be a better solution. By the way, could the SD speed be an issue (I think that read speed for a SD card is at least 0.9 MBytes/s, it should be enough ?).
chrisis

Post by chrisis »

zaccret wrote:By the way, could the SD speed be an issue (I think that read speed for a SD card is at least 0.9 MBytes/s, it should be enough ?).
Well, I have a pretty slow SD at the moment, and COMI (everything mp3-compressed, ogg support on Wii is very buggy at the moment and not really recommended) works perfect, even the cutscenes. Broken sword seemed a bit crashy the last time I tried it, though I doubt it has to do anything with SD(HC) speed and I guess it will be resolved in the future. There are even less problems for the older games I have tested.
As for SDHC support: afaik it's very easy to implement, a mere recompile with a recent (at the moment only in CVS) devkitpro/libogc should - in theory - be enough.
Also one thing I forgot, that there also is mass-storage (read external USB-device, although only USB 1.1 speed) support in recent libogc, so probably enabling that should be possible in the future too.