Changing permission to c:\windows?

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Frank

Post by Frank »

frank_m24 wrote:Hello,

I didn't want to be rude, but if someone complains about drive letters in a file dialog, it is very likely, that he is a beginner. The target of this forum is not to tell beginners, what drive letters are.

BTW: It is normal, that ScummVM tells at the first start, that it can't find the ini-File, since it doesnt exist, it will be produced during the first run. Added games and settings will be stored in this file after it is produced. The warning doesn't matter and ScummVM will work nice anyway.
Don't mix it up the the error message ScummVM will produce, if you don't have write permissions for your Windows directory. If you don't have these permissions, even "-cC:\Windows\scummvm.ini" can't help you.

If your Windows is installed in C:\Windows, you can run ScummVM without the .bat file.
But in my opinion it makes sense to store the ini file in the ScummVM directory like joachimeberhard described it. But: If you didn't run ScummVM before with "-cscummvm.ini" it will again produce a warning about a missing scummvm.ini! Maybe you can move the ini from c:\windows to your ScummVM Dir.

best regards

Frank
The reason your comments seemed rather rude to me is that I am a very seasoned computer user of over 20 years, and of the binary system in cryptography in the military for over twenty years before that.

I was simply making conversation about figuring out how to use scummvm, and had not actually taken a good look at it at that time. I also said I was going to research it, as it is a program I was not even aware of until I came upon it today in a Google search. I was not asking for help at that point. You are right on not needing the batch file, as scummvm is running fine now by using it's own icon to start it. BASS (Beneath a Steel Sky) also seems to be running well in it and I have downloaded the other free games available on the scummvm site and will set them up this morning.

I have played dozens of the old Adventure games such as Kings Quest and Space Quest beginning with the first ones and going through the full series of each. My interest now is in the older games that do not rely on gore and violence to sell themselves. I find that in this kind of games, although Kings Quest turned that way in later episodes.

Thanks to those who have courteously and patiently answered my questions about the error message I was getting upon launching scummvm. And to Frank for his explanation of how the ini file is produced. As it is working fine in the Windows directory I will leave it there.

Frank
joachimeberhard
ScummVM Team Member

Post by joachimeberhard »

By the way:

The scummvm.ini error always comes up the first time you start ScummVM, since the scummvm.ini does not exist the first time you start it.

If ScummVM cannot find the scummvm.ini on startup, it will automatically place it to C:\Windows\scummvm.ini.

So, at second startup, you shouldn't get any errors.

If you have any errors then, it's worth a try with the Batch file I suggested.

Best regards

Joachim
Aidan

Post by Aidan »

I did a look around the threads that you pointed out to me, and well. after some trial and error. It is WORKING! :) I am currently playing DOTT (I have loved since first playing it back in ... what ever year it was)

Thank you to everyone for their help! :)
paokara

Post by paokara »

Hello to everyone
I am new in the world of scummvm (an old gamer though)
and i already have the same problem with Aidan.

I've seen that you have solved the problem Aidan:
Could you please tell me EXACTLY what did you do?
(And the keyword is EXACTLY)

I can't find any scummvm.ini file!