Monkey 3 with 0.12.0 Build on HTC Diamond

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's PocketPC/HandheldPC port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

1312rene

Post by 1312rene »

I am having the same problem with the memory allocation on my HTC Touch Pro. This problem can't be caused by a shortage of RAM: usually I have at least 50MB of free memory available for the game.

Did anyone find a proper solution for this problem?
mattyarmy

Post by mattyarmy »

Hi I've got the same problem too on my Sony Ericsson Xperia. After the cannon shooting at the beginning it crashes once you have blasted all the ships with skeletons in.

It's the same on version 0.10.

Hope someone can fix it soon or give us all some help!
zenfox

Post by zenfox »

i'm having the same problems

i've got atleast 50mb of free ram but monkey 3 crashes when i enter the map or when i try to enter the first locations on the map

the same goes for full throttle, it crashes when i try to enter the junkyard

the same error applies, out of memory while allocating 01010101 etc

on the other hand day of the tentacle runs fine

edit running version 0.12
zenfox

Post by zenfox »

*bump*

anyone?
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Monkey Island 3 is chewing up a lot of memory on small devices for some reason. Perhaps it might be the digital music system that the game uses (but then again, that's just speculation). Try turning off music and/or speech and see if that makes any difference
beowulf6

Post by beowulf6 »

Like i already said.

I played this game on two PPCs.

HTC Herald
and
HTC Touch Pro

I tested it with a older version of ScummVM on the Herald some time ago, and the game worked nicely. it was only somewhat slower on scrolling of the screen which is because of the 201 mhz OMAP CPU.

But the Herald only has 64 MB Ram.. where the Touch Pro has 288MB Ram.

the difference is also the Operating System. i tested it on the Herald with Windows Mobile 6.0 Pro where the Touch Pro has Windows Mobile 6.1.

i will try to test the newest version again on the herald (i no longer own the Herald) to look if there is now the same problem. And will try the tip to disable sounds.
coolius

Post by coolius »

Hey, I've got the same malloc error on my Xperia X1. I managed to get round it a few times by exiting the game and trying it again, but now I can't seem to get into the town on the first island, no matter how many times I try.
I've tried it compressed, uncompressed, with and without sound all without luck.
It look to me to be just a bug in the ScummVM program when run on devices with larger memories.
Hopefully someone with a better knowledge than me can fix this problem and release a new version of the port.
gsm2k

Post by gsm2k »

What version of the HTC rom are you guys running? The early ones seems to have severe problems with memory leaks. Still waiting for the diamond i ordered so i havent been able to test yet. I will update rom as soon as i get the phone, or instal a custom rom from XDA developers. The game runs on Tytn 2 (128 mb ram)though.
Joeeeey

Post by Joeeeey »

Hello Together,

I have the same problem but the Error message: "Out of memory while allocating 1966160" appears after the start screen where i can choose the difficulty of the game. So he even can't load the first area i think.

This error appears in every version instead of the 0.8.2. There it seems to work, but the problem is i have a HTC Touch HD and i need to change the screen with the Monkey Botton in the Scumm VM Symbols. It changes the picture 180 degree so i can play with my touch. The Problem is, version 0.8.2 doesn't have the button to change the screen. the first one who has this is version 10.0.

So.. has anyone an idea?!

Sorry for my bad english!

Greets.
ICE_COOL

Post by ICE_COOL »

I had a problem that i kept recieving an out of memory error on my touch diamond on the difficulty menu on Curse of monkey island. In the scumm settings before starting the game i turned off the sound then started the game. It works but i have to leave the Scummvm toolbar open on the difficulty screen or else it would give me the same error. Once the game loads i can turn it off. The game now seems to work up until i choose an area to goto on the map in the 2nd chapter.
gsm2k

Post by gsm2k »

Joeeeey wrote:Hello Together,

I have the same problem but the Error message: "Out of memory while allocating 1966160" appears after the start screen where i can choose the difficulty of the game. So he even can't load the first area i think.

This error appears in every version instead of the 0.8.2. There it seems to work, but the problem is i have a HTC Touch HD and i need to change the screen with the Monkey Botton in the Scumm VM Symbols. It changes the picture 180 degree so i can play with my touch. The Problem is, version 0.8.2 doesn't have the button to change the screen. the first one who has this is version 10.0.

So.. has anyone an idea?!

Sorry for my bad english!

Greets.
Enable manual screen rotation in your HD. (search for it on XDA Developers forum) Then rotate screen to landscape before launching ScummVM. :)
Lostech

Post by Lostech »

A while ago I made some small easy tools for toggle/rotate the screen orientation. Perhaps this might be usefull.
Screen Tools Download
coolius

Post by coolius »

I can confirm that Monkey Island 3 works ERROR FREE with version 0.8.2.

Those with WVGA screens like me (Xperia X1 and Touch HD), can use WVGAfix from here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=455974 to get around the lack of rotating monkey.

I also had to use the uncompressed VOXDISK and MUSDISK files with the older version.

Hope this helps.
kstab

Post by kstab »

Could someone PLEASE post a link in order to download version 0.8.2

Thank you in advance..
coolius

Post by coolius »

You just have to look in the previous versions of the sourceforge project site

http://heanet.dl.sourceforge.net/source ... CE2002.zip