Another game

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

db92

Post by db92 »

bah, just screw the whole thing then.. simply, if anyone is still interested in making this game work on scummvm(that i dont think there's anyone interested but anyway) try the decompiler ive sent on my post or just try and contact chris jones. that's all.. The End :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

edit: info for anyone that might be interested: roy says that ac2game.dat contains all the game data, i presume someone must have acwin.exe that runs ac2game.dat to extract the source.... just a thought :wink:
Adventureguy

Post by Adventureguy »

sev wrote:
Adventureguy wrote:That's the first time I hear MMD is considered as warez :shock: .
heh, did you see this?
http://www.lucasfangames.de/ wrote: Recent events have forced us to shut down our web appearance. We would like to thank all our fans and supporters who believed in us and our dreams.
What else evidence you need? They used losts of copyrighted material without permission: story, characters, game title, music.

Eugene
But they finished the game back at 2003, if I remember well. They only eliminated some bugs in the game after that. So if it would have happened at the time it was released, then it would be a rational explanation.

Also, if you search for MMD on a search site of your choice (e.g.Google), you'll find lots of sites still offering it as download.Here's a link to the german Adventure-Treff with a thread 11 pages long :http://www.adventure-treff.de/forum/vie ... 15&start=0(It's in german only, though)
There the admin of Adventure-Treff, DasJan, says (on page 11) that if LucasArts were against MMD, they would have contacted him to take it of the servers because the site offers it as free download.

At the time their website ceased to exist (October the 8th 2005), there was also the shutdown of the KQIX project. By the way, they also started to make an Indy1 fanadventure from the film at that time, so I don't think it's because of MMD they shut down, it's because of Indy1.

They didn't only made a remake of MM, they also did Zak2 in 2001. And other Zak2-fanprojects are still made and they aren't cancelled because of LucasArts.
At some point during the negotiations, we've been told that due to some laws in the States, if a copyright-holder knows about a copyright infrigment and does nothing about, he can loose the copyright.
I read about this law in the US, too. Sounds stupid but that's the way it is. And I think it was because of Indiana Jones since LucasArts don't want to loose its beloved trademark. Same reaction would have been if someone had wanted to make a Star Wars fanadventure.
http://www.lucasfangames.de/ wrote: Recent events have forced us to shut down our web appearance. We would like to thank all our fans and supporters who believed in us and our dreams.
What they state on what's left on their page can be interpreted in many ways: They shut down because of Indy1 problems with LucasArts or because of working in the underground on Indy1 so it wouldn't have a fate like the at that time shut down KQIX project or because between the team members were tensions or...
It's only the web appearance which is shut down. And the screenshot doesn't mean it's because of MMD!

The problem is, Lucasfan don't say what's going on, neither do LucasArts. So the evidence I want is a statement of Lucasfan and/or LucasArts. As I have said, there are many rumors on the net. So if you don't have any proof what's exactly going on with Lucasfan, then please don't create more rumors. Only Lucasfan can say what's exactly going on with LucasArts.
yaz0r's blog wrote:Recently, I've discovered that the fan-made Maniac Mansion remake had been shutdown (no real reason on the website, but it's not too hard to guess). "
Again, it's only a guess and there's no real reason on the website. So don't jump to conclusions to early. Ask (if you're lucky to find him) Lucasfan himself about this or LucasArts (I think they ignored such a request earlier, that could mean anything...)

Sorry for this long post, but I had to say that it's to early to jump to conclusions yet. I wished I'd knew for myself what's with LucasFan.
db92

Post by db92 »

so where is this post leading to?
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Adventureguy wrote:What they state on what's left on their page can be interpreted in many ways: They shut down because of Indy1 problems with LucasArts or because of working in the underground on Indy1 so it wouldn't have a fate like the at that time shut down KQIX project or because between the team members were tensions or...
It's only the web appearance which is shut down. And the screenshot doesn't mean it's because of MMD!

then please don't create more rumors. Only Lucasfan can say what's exactly going on with LucasArts.
Okay. I'll not create more rumours. But you yourself just pinpointe one big issue. Potential abuse of copyright infrigement. We don't want to be connected with that. Not to say that that old negotiations with LucasArts legal department recently got renewed, so we will not talk about it, neither we want this to be discussed here. Imagine ScummVM being shut down... and that was tried already. So if you don't want harm to the project, don't argue on sensitive subjects.

Same goes with warez. We will not put spyware into ScummVM which will send list of games each user runs :twisted:, or add image recognition, so you'll have to present original box and CD to your computer before game launch. That is: what you're doing is your own business. But we want not to be connected with this in any way, i.e. no discussions, no support of those fellas who claim they use it, no links and even hints to links. NO WAREZ. We even allow to post links to those translations which are distributed in form of patches agains original data, so do not contain any copyrighted material. That's just for the sake of our safety.

Eugene
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

And no matter what the legal statuf of MMD etc. is/are:

As erik explained, to support them we would have to *reverse engineer AGS*, and we will not do that as long as AGS is an actively maintained project!

Period. Nothing to discuss.