sam & max cd audio

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

plop

sam & max cd audio

Post by plop »

does sam & max use the cd audio on the disc? i only copied the data files off the cd for scummvm, and the music works! will it sound better if i also extract the cd audio for scummvm? what is the recommended mp3 bitrate?
joachimeberhard
ScummVM Team Member

Post by joachimeberhard »

All LucasArts games beginning with Monkey2 use the iMuse music system, a dynamic interactive system which reacts on the players movement.

Up to Monkey1 LucasArts also used Audio-Tracks in some versions (FmTowns/PC-CD), because they used static non-interactive game music at that time.

Now since Sam&Max uses iMuse there is no way that ScummVM could incorporate static CD-Tracks into the games without giving up the dynamic interactive reaction of the music to the players actions.

Besides, the Audio-Tracks of S&M are added as a bonus and not used by the original game.
plop

Post by plop »

thank you very much for your informative reply!
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

However, it should be possible to replace the Conroy Bumpus' Song in the compressed monster.sou with that of the CD (which is identical except that it is 44100 Hz stereo).
Though, you can't do that with the official ScummVM tools.
noize

Post by noize »

Can't ScummVM call for Conroy Bumpus' Song cdda track instead of monster.sou then?
dpolsrod

Post by dpolsrod »

Why not rip the cdda tracks to mp3 instead and put them in the game folder and have ScummVM play them as we can with the tracks for Monkey Island 1? Is that already possible, or does ScummVM need new code to do that?
clem

Post by clem »

because monkey island is supposed to load the play from CD, so putting the mp3 file will work

samnmax does not even try to access CD audio, so additional code would be needed to load this one track from CD/mp3 file

clem
Phyde Wice

Post by Phyde Wice »

I don't know about the Windows version, but the Mac version of Sam & Max uses CD audio. And the game is playable right from the CD. No install necessary.

I used to have a Mac and I kept all my software. LucasArts Archives (Sam & Max, Indy, Tentacle, Rebel Assault, and a demo sampler CD) is one of them. I copied the Sam & Max data file to my current machine running WinXP. Oddly enough, when I play it in ScummVM, MIDI is used. My Mac always played the CD audio.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Phyde Wice wrote:I don't know about the Windows version, but the Mac version of Sam & Max uses CD audio.
No, it doesn't. Those 4 tracks aren't used in game. They're played from internal launcher however. It's just impossible for Sam'n'Max to use pre-recorded tracks since music there is dynamic.

Eugene
joachimeberhard
ScummVM Team Member

Post by joachimeberhard »

Phyde Wice wrote:My Mac always played the CD audio.
How did it synchronize the text-speed and the characters movements to the song then?

iMuse provides all that.

If it used cd-audio, the music would be completely de-sync on different systems with different settings.

That would spoil the game more than it would benefit.
Kaminari

Post by Kaminari »

It seems many people just remember iMuse as a kind of weird crossfading effect for crappy FM tunes, which is really sad. Of course it was much more than that.
Phyde Wice

Post by Phyde Wice »

sev wrote:
Phyde Wice wrote:I don't know about the Windows version, but the Mac version of Sam & Max uses CD audio.
No, it doesn't. Those 4 tracks aren't used in game. They're played from internal launcher however. It's just impossible for Sam'n'Max to use pre-recorded tracks since music there is dynamic.

Eugene
The tracks on the CD were the intro song, Conroy's song, and two others. Those tracks were used. All other audio was in-game.

I've only had ScummVM for a few days, and when I first played Sam & Max on it, the intro just didn't sound the way I remembered it did on my Macintosh.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Phyde Wice wrote:The tracks on the CD were the intro song, Conroy's song, and two others. Those tracks were used. All other audio was in-game.

I've only had ScummVM for a few days, and when I first played Sam & Max on it, the intro just didn't sound the way I remembered it did on my Macintosh.
Well, there's one easy way to find out if it uses the CD audio version of Doug's theme (the second audio track) at least. The part that starts about 2 minutes into it, and lasts for about half a minute, is not present in the in-game MIDI version, or at least I've never heard it in the English PC version.

Does your Macintosh version play that part of it when run with the original interpreter?