Problems starting Kyranida I Full Speech

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

CrisGer

Problems starting Kyranida I Full Speech

Post by CrisGer »

I had to re install my system and putting Kyrandia I full speech game verdion CD into ScummVM it wont play now, it opens the intro with the view of the island and plays music and gets to where the cam pans to the bottom and then stops, repeatedly.

wont proceed. If i by pass the intro, plays for a sec and stops.

I have all the files in there and added the Kyra dat file..do we just dl that dat and put it in? it looks funny, but could not find any way to unzip it....

any suggestions?

my non speech version runs fine in DOS box but it too was quitting. i will try it again. I ran set up for both. Do i need to set compatability for both games exec? I am running aMD 3300 with XP SP Pro 2 and Nvida FX 7600...
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Which version of ScummVM are you using?

When you say that the game "stops", does it just close, or does it crash? Have you copied all of the game's data files? Check here:
http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Datafiles

Have you tried updating your system's drivers, especially your sound card's?
CrisGer

Post by CrisGer »

It just quits, zap. One second it is running the intro of the island and then it closed fast. no save, no nothing.

and as i said, the non talkie version runs fine.

i put all the files on the hardrive in the folder, it is the CD version with full voice. Let me check the file list from that list you indicated... yes i have a ton of files in the folder...and many have the suffixs mentioned in the list of files needed. There were 2 CD's and i put everything in the folder after the install.

I have a 06 version of my Audigy 2ZS driver which works fine and worked fine for playing this game in an earlier verson of ScummVM.... should i load the latest version of ScummvVM?

OK UPDATED to todays version snapshot and now i get an error message once i try to start Kyrandia CD speech...

your Kyra dat file has invalid version 28 required, you have 17, reget correct version from website

I tried re downloading the Kyra.dat file twice and installing twice, and get the same error message??????

I cant understand what the 28 and the 17 are referring to?? the main ScummVM engine build? or the Kyra.dat file? and i cant see any version numbers with either 28 or 17 for either ... any suggestions are much appreciated.

:)
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

That means that ScummVM is finding an outdated kyra.dat file. Check both the folder where ScummVM is, and where Kyra is installed, to make sure you don't have any extra copies laying around.
CrisGer

Post by CrisGer »

i just removed the kyra file from both the game folder and the ScummVM install, as i found one in each location...and replaced them with the one that is currently on the site, downloaded late last night...the one on the ScummVM site for download appears to be the outdated version i think....can someone check? thanks

there IS one original file that is called kyracd in the kyrandia files,...should i remove that one? maybe that is what is getting the alert...

i did install the latest build...maybe that is why it is not finding the kyra file it wants.... is there a newer version for the latest build? from the daily snapshot?

I checked and all the other games (i have all the lucasarts games as well as broken swords, simons, discworlds, sky,temptress, FOAQ) and they all work fine btw with the latest install

I have all the Kyrandias with full voice and am looking forward to testing them too.

chris
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

I would think the install actually comes with the correct kyra.dat file included these days, so you should be ok by just deleting the one you downloaded.
CrisGer

Post by CrisGer »

OK
that did the trick, the snapshot did indeed have the correct Kyra.dat

no longer getting that error.

But KyraCD wont play past the very first part of the intro movie, indeed the camera wont even move down from the opening shot and no run of the Westwood logo......the non speech version floppy version runs fine. :) I am guessing since other people have managed to get it to run i assume, with speech, my files and or my CD's are corrupted. sigh.