Suggestion about screen tap operation

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Palm port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Chaostar

Suggestion about screen tap operation

Post by Chaostar »

I was playing monkey2 today and I came up with an idea that may be useful. I was wondering if it's possible to add an optional screen tap mode in which when you tap on the screen the "command" is not activated, that is, it's not the same as placing the cursor over that part and clicking the button, as usual, but rather just placing the cursor there, and if you want to pass a command there, you must press for example the action button (middle of the 5-way controller) or some other button.

This would come in very handy in point-and-click games. You know, when you want to know what's "usable" on the screen and you move your cursor through all the screen to see what words appear in the "Walk to..." portion in the middle of the screen. Right now, if you do that in some games, the character follows the cursor as if it was constantly passing action commands everywhere where the stylus moves through the screen while pressing. In this new possible mode, you could drag the cursor on the screen and it would be the same as moving the mouse/cursor through the screen in the full computer version, or you might press the stylus in specific points on screen and also it would just place the cursor there, not pass any actions. To do that, you must use some hardware button.

What do you think? Is it interesting/plausible?

bye!

Martin
Tinnus

Post by Tinnus »

Interesting, plausible, and easy to implament as changing one line of code (and adding the option in the GUI, of course). I think :)

I also think this would be interesting.
kamamura

Post by kamamura »

I would love this. Sometimes, immediately performing the default action on anything pointed at may not be desirable.
Chrilith
ScummVM Porter

Post by Chrilith »

Did you try the "Disable stylus mouse click" option in the Misc pnael of the frontend ?