PSP Curse Of Monkey Island Issue

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's PSP (PlayStation Portable) port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

sfaok

Post by sfaok »

Thanks. Greatly appreciated. Just had a quick go on CoMI and there is a big improvement. Bringing up the inventory and the cannon sequence isn't anywhere near as sluggish. Theres stilll some slowdown in the town square, but its still very playable and isn't that off-putting compared to the standard build.

I tried Broken Sword 1 to see if the cutscenes were improved but it skipped straight to the cafe scene. I assume this cvs build is without mpeg2 support ?

Thanks again and I'll be sure to leave some more comprehensive feedback later in the week when I've played it properly; least I can do really.

Is it mainly speed-related feedback you're after with this particular build ?
joostp
ScummVM Developer

Post by joostp »

Yes, there's no MPEG2 support in this build.
AFAIK, the only issue with BS1 and 2 currently is the cutscenes, which running at 333mhz doesn't completely fix, otherwise the games work fine at 222mhz.

As far as COMI is concerned, I'm interested in any and all occurences of slowdown/sluggish performance and anything else that isn't working properly or too slow, so that we can try and address those issues in the future.

Note that the current increase in performance isn't solely due to the clockspeed change, but also due to some changes made to the engine since the 0.8.0 release.
Hopefully, with some more changes, the game will eventually run fine at 222mhz.
db92

Post by db92 »

AWESOME! 90% LESS SLUGGISH PERFORMANCE! THANX A LOT MAN, I THINK U SHOULD DISTRIBUTE THIS ONE ON THE OFFICIAL PAGE :) However the problem is not yet extinct... though i think i can count on you guys! :)
Track505

Post by Track505 »

It always hangs itself up in different places.
Also with this cvs version. But it runs a little faster.
:oops:
joostp
ScummVM Developer

Post by joostp »

Track505 wrote:It always hangs itself up in different places.
Also with this cvs version. But it runs a little faster.
:oops:
Can you try being less vague?

What happens? How often? Which firmware is your PSP? etc. etc.
Track505

Post by Track505 »

FW 1.5 with this scummvm build from 2.jan.
It hangs up, but not on the same places.
I have compress it with the tools and ogg.
Sorry for my english. :oops:

edit: 2 januar-right :wink:
Last edited by Track505 on Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
joostp
ScummVM Developer

Post by joostp »

2 Nov.? You mean 2 Jan.?
How often does this happen?
Anyone else experiencing this?
db92

Post by db92 »

if he were a biit more specific.... :D
Track505

Post by Track505 »

This happens here every time which hangs it sometime. I do not come really forward. Am still on the ship at the beginning. However, the same one also was already with all versions of psp scummvm.
i hope you can read it my text, :lol:
The Speed is ok, Sound is Syncron with ogg. I will try it further.
db92

Post by db92 »

joostp the cvs version runs faster but the scene where i have to talk to murray and all always crashes... look into it a bit will ya :D
joostp
ScummVM Developer

Post by joostp »

db92 wrote:joostp the cvs version runs faster but the scene where i have to talk to murray and all always crashes... look into it a bit will ya :D
Oh yeah, I know exactly which scene you mean now. :roll:

EDIT: And I can also guess exactly which language your COMI is, if you compressed the datafiles, which actions you performed and which dialog you used to trigger the crash. yup...
db92

Post by db92 »

comi is english, yes i compressed the data files, the crash occurs when i try to combine the hook with the ram rod and when i use the dialog at least you won't have a problem with what to wear or something like that....
sfaok

Post by sfaok »

I had the same problem during that particular scene (Where you encounter Murray on the plank of wood and fish the skeleton arm and sword from the sea).

I'm using English language version of CoMI with no compression on FW1.50 with yesterdays CVS build. Crash is kinda random in that if you stay on that specific screen it will freeze sooner or later rather than a specific act triggering it. (Crashed once when talking to Murray, second time 2 seconds after loading save up and third time while trying to fish the skeleton arm out of the water). Though, if you're quick you can by-pass it.

Some notable slowdowns that I've come across so far are as follows :-

- Game stutters badly during the banjo duel
- Scenes with the monkeys (on the ship while being made to walk plank/or being tarred and feathered and when the curtain raises during the performance in the town theatre). I guess the fact that there are quite a few sprites on screen at once is the crux of that particular problem.
- Inventory screen slows the game down; though, it isn't as noticable on the new build
- The area of town with the watermill and fountain has some noticable slowdown issues.
Track505

Post by Track505 »

i use comi with german language. compressed or not, it hangs up.
sfaok say it. same here.
joostp
ScummVM Developer

Post by joostp »

Hmmm, strange...
FWIW, that bit works fine in comidemo here..
I'll try the full version when I can free up some space on the memory stick.