PSP Curse Of Monkey Island Issue

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's PSP (PlayStation Portable) port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

db92

PSP Curse Of Monkey Island Issue

Post by db92 »

Hello, i was on the irc channel yesterday, and i was instructed on how to run curse of monkey island on psp... however i ran a compression to fit it in my memstick with the default settings and i was wondering... if i make the compression bigger(the quality might be worse but who cares actually, i hope it wont be visible on the psp), will the game run more smoothly? ive compressed the resource folder .bun and .san files with compress_san and compress_scumm_bun default settings, but when i run the game, ive got a bad performance :evil: , (cursor not moving, sounds "stopping" etc.)
In conclusion, my question is: if i compress the game's files more, less size and maybe worse quality, will it have a better performance? :wink:
sev
ScummVM Lead

Re: PSP Curse Of Monkey Island Issue

Post by sev »

db92 wrote: In conclusion, my question is: if i compress the game's files more, less size and maybe worse quality, will it have a better performance? :wink:
No, computations will not be considerably different. Just file access, but it's not a bottleneck in this case.

Eugene
db92

Post by db92 »

so, if i lower the quality to the worst for example, it wont have better performance? it'll be as slow as hell? cuz here its not that it doesnt work, it does, but it's that i need some extra space cuz there's only 5 megs remaining on the memstick...The game when running, it sometimes has some problems, such as when im firing the cannon at the beginning of the game, when im targeting the cannon cant be slower... even a snail could go faster than that... so even SLIGHTLY there wont be any difference? it wont run better?
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

No, it won't run better. No matter how often you ask :-)

Decompressing data on the fly takes up computation power. The size of the data isn't what matter much (at least not on the scale we are talking about). Maybe if you completly remove the voice & music, then it might be faster... alas I can't really judge where the bottlenecks of the PSP port are, so even w/o that it might be too slow.
db92

Post by db92 »

ill keep it as is then
joostp
ScummVM Developer

Post by joostp »

I wonder why I ever bothered to write the README.
- While it's possible to compress certain game resources to reduce their size,
this can (and usually will) cause games (especially animation) to be choppy
sometimes, as it ofcourse needs extra CPU power to decode these files.
As such, it is recommended to play games in their original, uncompressed,
form whenever possible.
If you really want to play COMI on your PSP, I'd recommend getting a CVS build (there are some improvements over 0.8.0 that help speed up COMI on PSP), and possibly running at 333mhz if you're using compressed resources.
db92

Post by db92 »

lol excuse me for my noobiness, but what is a cvs build? :P
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

CVS is the system we use to develop ScummVM. I.e. CVS build is a build of the latest ScummVM source code with all modifications up to date. From time to time we take a snapshot of CVS code and make a release out from that.

Though I don't really know either there are ready-to-download PSP CVS builds. Joostp?

Eugene
db92

Post by db92 »

whatever, how could i get a cvs build that u said?
joostp
ScummVM Developer

Post by joostp »

db92 wrote:whatever, how could i get a cvs build that u said?
Someone on the forums here is occasionally building them (hint: use search).
But if you want I can make one for you that runs at 333mhz.
This, combined with the scrolling and resource cache changes, should make COMI run atleast reasonably well. (I'd be interested to hear about any bottlenecks that are still there).

Which version firmware do you have?
sfaok

Post by sfaok »

If you find time to build a 333 cvs version, then I'd be greatly interested in trying it out. Been holding back playing CoMI on the PSP because it runs a little too sluggish for me at the moment. It'd be interesting to see how better the PSP set at 333 copes with CoMI (I know it makes the world of difference with SNES emus and the like).

I'm currently refusing to budge from 1.50 for the moment; I think I'm too accustomed to running homebrew the easy way. 2.00 sounds like hassle and besides the commerical games thus far for the PSP have been an utter disappointment. So no need to upgrade just yet. :D
db92

Post by db92 »

ive got 1.5 as well, if you'd be so kind.. simply try and make a build that CAN MAKE COMI RUN! its one of my all time favorites.. running it flawlessy would be perfect , so just make that 333 thing u were talking about in the above post
sfaok

Post by sfaok »

Well, you should see a noticable improvement, though at the cost of battery life mind, when running at 333mhz. I'd be surprised if it runs flawlessly and at full speed though. CoMI is pushing the PSP quite hard already and to be honest most of the modern console emu's are pushing the PSP to its limits. Sometimes you can only do so much with the hardware in hand.

I'm not sure if the PSP has enough juice to run CoMI and Broken Sword at full speed, thats something joostp would know more about.
db92

Post by db92 »

flawlessly in a manner of speaking, since its still an emulator, i cant have high demands... however i mean to "run as best as it can"
joostp
ScummVM Developer

Post by joostp »

Ok, try this

Feedback is appreciated.