SVN Build updated

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Symbian (mobile phones, etc) ports

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

Hmm save... options->Save game? Does that work?
0AzK0

Post by 0AzK0 »

Saving works in pc version of scumm. In symbian version saving still don`t work :( . And it is both with cd and ripped versions
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

Ahh ok.. I guess thats not the case with the old svn versions? Never mess with working filehandling.

Anyone who can verify that Simon games load faster with filecaching instead of not?
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

Found the problem! Please set the savegamepath before starting the game.
When listing files, Symbian (not sure about other OSes) are depending on the last \ to list a folder i.e c:\data\scummvm\savegames which is the default, only list games in c:\data\scummvm\ with the name of savesgames. And only one directory is found.

When you select the savegame folder, the name is stored with an ending \ and then it should work.

I will see if I'm the one setting the wrong default save path. It might be the case.

Checked: Yes I'm not adding the extra \ needed for Symbian OS to find its default save games. So currently saving works, but loading does not since the wrong folder is listed for files.
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

I have now uploaded a version which should set the default save game directory properly for Symbian OS. This means that you don't have to select a save game path unless you really want to.

Default path for S60 is
C:\Data\ScummVM\Savegames
so that means that they can be accessed using the ordinary filemanger in the \ScummVM\saveGames folder.
0AzK0

Post by 0AzK0 »

I`ve changed path to the saves and all saves, which I tried to make, appeared in load menu.

By the way, hof and malcolm`s revenge work without kyra.dat. :lol:
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

0AzK0 wrote:I`ve changed path to the saves and all saves, which I tried to make, appeared in load menu.

By the way, hof and malcolm`s revenge work without kyra.dat. :lol:
No they don't work without kyra.dat
Perhaps you already have it somewhere? :)
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

Kyra.dat is installed with the client autoamtically. So you always have it installed.
roteero2001

Post by roteero2001 »

BIG BIG thanks man!
on my N95 both full throttle and samNmax load in just a few seconds.
and guess what! full throttle don't stutter or lags the video sequences nomore! it runs very smooth! and I thought my 64 RAM and stock memory card couldn't handle it!! I was wrong :D
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

Ohh thats cool. Thanks for the info. Actually I have n't tried FT on my own 6120 yet. But I have it on my memorycard. The best thing with 1gb memorycards was that I could fit FT with no problems. Now I have 6gb. :-)
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

Whoops I might have missed MP3 support in that last version. Ohh those defines. :-)
bojan1986

Post by bojan1986 »

i have some problems with this svn version of scummvm.
the first is: it pushes teh right buttun several time, without i'm doing it
second: it quits suddenly without any reports
third: sometimes the debugger starts saying not enough memory and then scummvm freezes. and if i start scummvm right after again and i do the same thing next time a dont have this error. i dont think that it is because low memory of my phone because sometimes it works normally in place when i have 10m free and the next time the same place freezes while i'm having 19-20megs of free memory

i did not have these problems with previous releases, and i hope so that you will be able to correct these things, because the speed int this version is much better then before (especialy in FT)
and thx for your great job :D

ps: oh i forgot to tell that my phone is an N80 with newest firmware
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

Still it crashes differently with the same game?

If you getting out of memory dialogs the it surely must be memory...

So there might be different reasons. This version supports more games, so its more memoryhungry by default. The exe only is 8 mb uncompressed. So actually with only 10 mb free you should barely be able to start it.

What tool are you using to check the amount of free memory?

Thanks for the input.. I can't do all testing my self...
roteero2001

Post by roteero2001 »

I'm having same trouble as bojan1986 with FT on my N95(standard).
Tried on the updated one of july 30th, same thing.
I'v almost played the entire game on this version, the controls are awkard sometimes pressing left/right buttons on their own! and I get many crashes,sometimes without starting the game but clicking on Edit Game,crash!.

I'v played FT on the version on Downloads page, and although the start loading speed and gameplay speed is incomparable to this version, I'v never once had a crash, doesn't that mean my Ram should already handle this?
Ceri Cat

Post by Ceri Cat »

Not really roteero, the thing you have to remember is the stable version has a lot fewer features than the present one, and memory leaks could be occuring too which doesn't help. The original N95s just don't have enough memory this is a problem of all the earlier S60 phones, 64 megs of RAM with only a max of about 20 free for applications to run is pushing it when you consider the amount of data that needs to be handled.

Some of the ways to decrease the memory footprint are to write code to load the engines as plugins rather than as statically linked libraries so only one is loaded into memory as needed, to disable unnecessary features such as some of the sound libraries like ogg. But you'll still run into the issue of not having enough RAM from time to time as the data for a particular screen in the game could exceed your limits. I've had it happen once or twice with my E51 and it's got more than double the available memory of the original N95. The N95-3 has over 4 times the available memory of the model you have after booting the Symbian OS.