ScummVM for firmware 2.0?

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's iPhone port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Jimmni

ScummVM for firmware 2.0?

Post by Jimmni »

Hi all

Now that firmware 2.0 has been jailbroken can we expect to see the iPhone port of scummVM updated to run on 2.0? I'm holding off upgrading until I can be sure my adventures can come with me!

Thanks for all the great work!
LurkerScum

Post by LurkerScum »

I too think about downgrading if ScummVM (and some other programs) won't be ported to 2.0
Hopefully they will. And if/while the programmers do so, they could even implement the touchpad feature :D ;)
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Re: ScummVM for firmware 2.0?

Post by Vinterstum »

Jimmni wrote:Hi all

Now that firmware 2.0 has been jailbroken can we expect to see the iPhone port of scummVM updated to run on 2.0? I'm holding off upgrading until I can be sure my adventures can come with me!

Thanks for all the great work!

I'll hopefully have something ready within the week :).
Jimmni

Post by Jimmni »

Great news! Really looking forward to upgrading and exploring the app store!
Echomote

Post by Echomote »

Can we expect any changes/updates *caugh* or is it just a port of the old version?
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

First, just a build with an update of the old backend (though with all the numerous updates ScummVM in general has had in the meantime, of course).

Though, I was thinking of a more accurate control scheme today, actually. I've no idea how the VNC client talked about in the other thread works, but I'm considering adding a new mode (toggleable) where placing a finger on the screen won't move the mouse to that spot, but rather move the cursor with a speed and direction depending on the distance and angle between your finger and the center of the screen. If that makes sense :).
Echomote

Post by Echomote »

The VNC client, TPP, acts as if it were a laptop touchpad.

You put 1 finger down (anywhere on the screen) and move it, the cursor will follow the direction your finger is moving, depending on how fast the finger is moving affects the speed the cursor moves (so a quick flick will move it further than a slide).

One way to imagine it could be that your finger is a normal optical mouse (or such) and the screen is the mouse mat on which you move the mouse(finger) on.

A single quick tap on the screen anywhere is counted as a left click, and a two finger tap (1 finger first, then the other) is right click. Because there's no dragging for these, the cursor will stay in position.

So you move the cursor to the location you want to click, and then tap to click.

Dragging cursor also works by tap and holding for a second and then sliding the finger.

Sorry if I explained badly, but I wrote this whole post using safari on the iPhone..
Garden Dwarf

Post by Garden Dwarf »

I saw the NES emulator on my V1 Pwned to 2.0.

It seems that when you press the home button during a play, the state of the game is saved and there is an icon near the battery one to tell that the emulator is running.

Should be possible to do the same for ScummVM ?

Do you have an idea how long it will take to release the 2.0 ScummVM ?

Thanks for your work !
LurkerScum

Post by LurkerScum »

I think you explained it very well, echomote. Although your idea, Vinterstum, is an improvement to the actual system, I think the touchpad control is much easier to use (though probably not easier to develop for you ;) ) as it is already known by laptop users.
It is like moving the mouse on the screen with your finger, no matter where you place it: when your finger goes up, the mouse goes up (and down and left and right, depending on what your finger does ;) ). You should try the touchpad pro trial if you got an iphone / itouch with firmware 1.1.4 (or 1.1.5) so you see what we mean :)
Echomote

Post by Echomote »

Maybe it could first be coded without acceleration (ie the cursor always follows the finger at the same velocity). That should be a lot easier to code without making it much worse.
Garden Dwarf

Post by Garden Dwarf »

Indeed, and with less update, we can enjoy ScummVM earlier on firmware 2.0. ... When ?
TomFrost

Post by TomFrost »

I must admit, I'd been taking Vinterstum's work a bit for granted in the past couple months. As soon as 2.0 was jailbroken, I upgraded and realized with shocking horror that ScummVM wasn't compatible with 2.0!

Many thanks for your continued work, Vinterstum :) It's a shame that it takes the jailbreak to put games onto the phone.. ScummVM could have some much-deserved visibility if it could be released to the App Store!
LurkerScum

Post by LurkerScum »

I totally agree with TomFrost, thanks for your continous work Vinterstum :)
n000g

Post by n000g »

i reeeeally hate to be impatient, but... any news on the 2.0 port? ;-)

i take it, it will it be released via cydia and/or installer?
is there a cydia repository we might need to add to the client?

other than that, keep up the good work!
TomFrost

Post by TomFrost »

n000g wrote:i reeeeally hate to be impatient, but... any news on the 2.0 port? ;-)

i take it, it will it be released via cydia and/or installer?
is there a cydia repository we might need to add to the client?

other than that, keep up the good work!
Cydia doesn't have a source editor yet, but saurik added the ModMyiFone repository by default, and that's the one that listed ScummVM on Installer.

Though I'm not sure whether Vinterstum has to build the .deb package or whether MMI will handle that. Regardless, it sounds like it can be listed fairly easily when V's ready to pump out his new version :)