Monkey Island Help

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Tipsey Tyke

Monkey Island Help

Post by Tipsey Tyke »

Hi guys, I'm a newbie when it comes to computers and could really use some help if possible.

I have bought Monkey Island 1&2 (The White Label Double Pack) on Ebay. I paid a bit more than I should have but I have such great memories that I decided that it would be worth it.

Imagine my horror when it arrived and i put the disc in and I got a message stating that it wont work in full screen mode. I have tried allsorts but it just wont do it. I have tried loading it up anyway just to see and it wont really go further than a start-up screen.

As I say, I'm really not very computer literate so if I tell you step by step what happens perhaps there might be a star amongst you who can help.

I load the disc and click Run monkey.pif
Immediately a box appears (with the title 16bit MS-DOS Subsystem) stating that the system does not support fullscreen mode and to choose "close" to terminate the application.

I click ignore.

This takes me to the screen offering monkey 1 or 2 or also make a boot disc. If I try choosing one of the games it again brings a warning box stating that it wont play full screen. I can't get any further!!!

I have a Dell Inspiron 1520 laptop (XP home basic). I contacted the guy I bought it from and he said that he has the same laptop and it worked fine for him.

I'm sorry to post such a long message but I really really wanna play monkey again and don't want to have to sell it.

Do I need to install something on my laptop maybe?

Any help (in plain English if poss) would be really appreciated.

Thanks
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

You should be able to play both these games using ScummVM. It is, simply put, a replacement for the original .EXE file for certain games. Generally, all you should have to do is to copy all the necessary data files to a new folder on your hard disk, point ScummVM to it, and play. This is described in great detail in this tutorial, albeit for a different game.

I'm not familiar with the White Label release of the games, but if it's anything like the one I have, there should be a folder on the CD which contains files named either MONKEY.000 and MONKEY.001. This is the data files for The Secret of Monkey Island. Another folder should contain MONKEY2.000 and MONKEY2.001, which are the data files for Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge.

In addition, the CD should contain 24 audio tracks; the kind you can play in any music CD player. ScummVM should be able to play these directly from the CD, but it's more convenient to rip them to your hard disk. ScummVM supports MP3, Ogg Vorbis and FLAC. I assume MP3 is the most common in the Windows world. The important thing is that the files are named (in the MP3 case) track1.mp3, track2.mp3, etc. (Some programs want to name the first track "track2", because they count the data track as track 1.) They can be placed in the same folder as the two data files. Windows, being far too clever for its own well-being, will probably show them as just track1, track2, etc.

Monkey Island 2 will show a copy protection screen before the game starts. LucasArts didn't include the code wheel when they re-released the game, so ScummVM accepts any code as correct. If it simply skipped the copy protection screen (like LucasArts did), it would also skip the difficulty selection screen.
Tipsey Tyke

Post by Tipsey Tyke »

Hi. Thanks so much for this. I'm in the process of doing all of this however I cannot fathom what I'm meant to add when I click on "Add Game" on ScummVM. I have the disc in the laptop now and can find a file that shows:

Monkey 1.000
Monkey 1.001
Monkey1
Monkey 2.000
Monkey 2.001
Monkey2

I have tried double clicking on the only option that relates ie "MONKEY" but then I click "choose" it states that it could not find any game in the specified directory. The directory looks like this

C:\MONKEY\

The tutorial mentions that you need to ensure that the files are unzipped. How do I know if they are or not?

Sorry to be a pest!!
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Tipsey Tyke wrote: I have tried double clicking on the only option that relates ie "MONKEY" but then I click "choose" it states that it could not find any game in the specified directory. The directory looks like this

C:\MONKEY\
If the folder C:\MONKEY contains the files Monkey1.000 and Monkey1.001 (or Monkey2.000 and Monkey2.001), that should have worked. At least, I know of no reason why it wouldn't.
Tipsey Tyke wrote: The tutorial mentions that you need to ensure that the files are unzipped. How do I know if they are or not?
That only applies to the freeware games. They have been compressed to make them smaller to download.
Tipsey Tyke

Post by Tipsey Tyke »

It simply says MONKEY. There aren't any that say Monkey 1.000 etc
Jade

Post by Jade »

if you double click the monkey folder what do you see? feel free to IM me on any of the messengers and i will be glad to help you in realtime
Last edited by Jade on Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Tipsey Tyke wrote:It simply says MONKEY. There aren't any that say Monkey 1.000 etc
Monkey1.000 and Monkey1.001 are files. The browser in ScummVM only shows folders (also known as directories on some systems). You should point ScummVM to the folder where those two files are.

If your C:\MONKEY folder (or wherever you want to put it), doesn't contain these two files, simply copy them from your CD.
Tipsey Tyke

Post by Tipsey Tyke »

Jade wrote:if you double click the monkey folder what do you see? feel free to IM me on any of the messengers and i will be glad to help you in realtime
Just says that it doesn't support full screen mode
Jade

Post by Jade »

i will make a flash tutorial if you want
Tipsey Tyke

Post by Tipsey Tyke »

I'm really appreciating both of you helping me with this.

I have tried moving those files to my documents and still struggling.

I'm not sure what a flash tutorial is but if you would be willing to make one then that would be great.

It's taking me longer to get this sorted than it will take me to clock the games lol
Jade

Post by Jade »

i will write the steps out and make a tutorial if you need it
1. Press Start
2. Press Run
3. Type your cd drive letter followed by a colon into the run box
4. Cluck OK
5. Press Control A
6. Press Control C
7. Make a new folder on your V drive or desktop
8. double click the new folder
10. press Control V
11. Click Add Game in scummvm
12. find your new folder
13 Click Choose
14. Start
Tipsey Tyke

Post by Tipsey Tyke »

Thanks very much. I've been at this for hours so I will have a break fora little while and try your step by step guide with a clear head!!!

Thanks again, I'll keep you updated with my progress