Regarding the xbox port

Discussion about other and unofficial ports of ScummVM

Moderator: ScummVM Team

fydo

Regarding the xbox port

Post by fydo »

Howdy,

I'm not an official scummvm team member, but heres what I understand the current state of scummVM on xBox to be from an IRC conversation in #scummvm. I thought I'd post here in case anyone was wondering about it.

Yes, there is a verison of scummVM for xBox floating around somewhere (which was NOT created by the scummVM team) but this version is built with an illegally obtained version of the Microsoft xBox SDK, which makes that version illegal. As such, the scummVM didn't make it, doesn't support it, and probably discourages use of it. That also means that you shouldn't ask for it here.

However, I haven't looked completely into it, but I've read that there is an "OpenSDK" for xbox which uses SDL. If a version of scummVM were created using this open-source SDK legally and submitted to the scummVM team, I'm sure it would be welcomed.

So yeah, if anyone has anything to add, go ahead.

- fydo
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Yes, this is correct. It would be really nice if someone would create XBox port which will not use illegal tools, proprietary headers etc. I.e. that it could be freely published under GPL.

Eugene
xLoial

Post by xLoial »

Hi, I went through some xbox forums, and checked up some info, and it seems there is a problem with OpenXDK being developed in C, and only supporting C. Since ScummVM is developed in C++, there currently is no way to compile the scummvm source in OpenXDK.

There seem to be a couple of C++ alternatives to OpenXDK, namely Free-XDK and Special Edition OpenXDK, but both are in Alpha stage and haven't released any files. Maybe it's worth having a look in the CVS's?

Anyway, I'm not that into C (or C++) programming (yet) but I pass the ball to anyone who think they could get anywhere with it...

Yours, Herman
onlyjustbegun

Post by onlyjustbegun »

Or, since linux can be legally built without the official XDK, somebody could look into creating a scummvm linux live cd for XBox? I'm pretty certain it'd be possible and a more than adequate alternative.
DarkRay

:idea:

Post by DarkRay »

:idea: The best option is like as XBMC.:idea:

The XBMC Team only release the source code because use XDK (Microsoft Xbox SDK) and is illegal release the complided built, but not illegal release the source code.

Why don't ScummVM Team release the source code using XDK :?:

PD: Sorry for my bad English, I'm Spanish. :P
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

To develop such source code, we first would have to create it, which would require us to have access to the tools in question, an XBox, etc.

Furthemore, I have my doubts that releasing the source would be legal either, considering that it reveals (indirectly) portions of the XDK, which may also be in violation of the license agreement of the XDK (since I don't have that, I don't know for sure, though -- but I am talking based on experience with other similar SDKs in the past, where I had to sign NDAs etc. which specifically forbade me to distribute any source code made using that SDK).

The legal obstacles are already enough. Even if it was perfectly legal, though, we still would have the technical ones.
Last edited by fingolfin on Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xLoial

Post by xLoial »

Of course, what would've been nice was if one the guys that actually have ported it, (I believe there has been at least two seperate workable builds for xbox) could make his/her sourcecode available for someone else to see... Or tell us the steps required. So we could know what diff's are necessary...
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

releasing the diffs is like releasing the actual source code, isn't it? :) So the answer would be what fingolfin said
Maturion

Post by Maturion »

Sorry for picking up such an old thread.
Furthemore, I have my doubts that releasing the source would be legal either, considering that it reveals (indirectly) portions of the XDK, which may also be in violation of the license agreement of the XDK (since I don't have that, I don't know for sure, though -- but I am talking based on experience with other similar SDKs in the past, where I had to sign NDAs etc. which specifically forbade me to distribute any source code made using that SDK).
Many other xdk-homebrew-projects released its source code including the XboxMediaCenter project. http://www.xboxmediacenter.com

I have an Xbox and I'm currently porting an nes emulator to OpenXDK. After finishing it I can have a look into ScummVM source and maybe I'll port it. OpenXDK has some *basic* C++ support. I really like the OpenXDK project and I've made some very small contributions to it. Extending OpenXDK would be the best choice I think.
Carcharius

Post by Carcharius »

Maturion wrote: I have an Xbox and I'm currently porting an nes emulator to OpenXDK. After finishing it I can have a look into ScummVM source and maybe I'll port it. OpenXDK has some *basic* C++ support. I really like the OpenXDK project and I've made some very small contributions to it. Extending OpenXDK would be the best choice I think.
Porting ScummVM using the OpenXDK as it stands now is not viable. I know because I've had quite alot of input into the OpenXDK project and have already done a preliminary port of ScummVM using it.

OpenXDK just isn't mature enough. It's a shame but there just isn't the interest anymore for people to continue to develop the project.

Coincedentally I've also ported a NES emulator using OpenXDK although this isn't the right place to discuss that ;)

I have (several months ago) submitted a preliminary patch for an Xbox port of ScummVM (using the native XDK). The patch itself doesn't contain much in the way of XDK code as most of that sort of thing is encapsulated in the supporting libs (SDL etc). Unfortunately other stuff has prevented me from getting this finished thus far, although sev has challenged me to get it completed in time for the next ScummVM release.

I'm going to do my best to get that done ;)

Carcharius
kevinwright

Post by kevinwright »

Hi all…
I went through Xbox forums, and checked with some information regarding Xbox port. Someone who have an Xbox and I'm currently porting a nes emulator to OpenXDK. After finishing it I can have a look into ScummVM source and maybe I'll port it. Open XDK has some basic C and C++ support.
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

It would be nice if somebody could take over. Carcharius' last release was 0.11.1.
Even better if you figure out a way to build it under OpenXDK.
Good luck.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

kevinwright wrote:Hi all…
I went through Xbox forums, and checked with some information regarding Xbox port. Someone who have an Xbox and I'm currently porting a nes emulator to OpenXDK. After finishing it I can have a look into ScummVM source and maybe I'll port it. Open XDK has some basic C and C++ support.
Please change your signature, thanks