Broken Sword 1

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Nintendo Wii port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

MajinChibi

Broken Sword 1

Post by MajinChibi »

Hello,

i use the newest version of scummVM , the homebrew channel and a 2gb sandisk ultra 2 sd.

When i start Broken Sword (german/mpg/ogg) i´ve got sound only, no intro. The same happens with the dxa pack from the scummvm site (then i got english sound but still no intro ;) )

And i can´t save. When i point the curser to the upper boarder, there is no save icon and when i push the home key, i got back to the homebrew channel.

sry for my bad english.
jvprat
ScummVM Developer

Re: Broken Sword 1

Post by jvprat »

MajinChibi wrote:When i start Broken Sword (german/mpg/ogg) i´ve got sound only, no intro. The same happens with the dxa pack from the scummvm site (then i got english sound but still no intro ;) )
Try reading the FAQ: http://www.scummvm.org/faq.php#id2551324
chojin

Re: Broken Sword 1

Post by chojin »

MajinChibi wrote:And i can´t save. When i point the curser to the upper boarder, there is no save icon and when i push the home key, i got back to the homebrew channel.
In Broken Sword 1 the upper border is your inventory and the lower border lists your conversation topics, so there is no save icon. Some Key (minus?) on your wiimote should bring up the Load/Save Menu.
MajinChibi

Post by MajinChibi »

@jvprat

in the german version i waited the whole intro.

@chojin

normaly the home key brings the menu up.

maybe some files are corrupt
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Did you download the cutscene pack? The original Smacker videos are not supported in ScummVM

As for the save/load menu, I remember there were icons at the top in Broken Sword 2, but for the first game you used F5 (if I'm not mistaken) for the save/load menu
chojin

Post by chojin »

md5 wrote:As for the save/load menu, [...] for the first game you used F5 (if I'm not mistaken) for the save/load menu
Both keys ESC and F5 should work, which are mapped to Minus and Home on the WiiMote.

So I tested my BS1 (German DXA/OGG). I had do move the Cluster-Files from a CLUSTERS subfolder back into the main game folder to help SCUMMVM recognize the game at all (like for BS2). The Intro works fine, except those random colors in the upper and lower bar already mentioned by Vurtual for BS2. Both Buttons open the Load/Save Menu, Home and Minus.

Maybe you can find out whether your files work with the pc-version of SCUMMVM. If the files are corrupt, it could show the same issues (e.g. F5 kicks you out of the game).
matteo57

Post by matteo57 »

i installed scummvm on my wii via the hbc and i have no problems with any scummvm game except for broken sword 1 (i played loom, the dig, full throttle, monkey island, fate of atlantis, beyond a steel sky, the Flight of the Amazon Queen, Broken sword 2), which by the way happens to be one of my favourites..

game loads ok, plays the intro, then, after the explosion, if i enter the pub by myself or with the police, when i go out of the pub into the main street again, the game stops and brings me back to the hbc menu.
except for this, everything else seems to be ok, i can save, watch the intro, hear the music, etc..

i tried different versions of scummvm and of the game, tried with dxa, ogg, all kinds of add-ons, but i still got the problem.
Tried the same version of the game (same files) on pc and works perfectly.

i'm using a generic 2gb SD card. as i said, except for this, everything else on the card works ok.

any help would be greatly appreciated.
aculotarpa

Post by aculotarpa »

When I launch the game, the screen turns black for a while, then exit to HBChannel.
ScummVM rev 32565 20080605233742, Broken Sword PC italian, movies in dxa format, speech music and movies audio in ogg format.
Same datafiles work fine under ScummVM PC and Mac version.
superfighter

Post by superfighter »

when i talk to the inspector in the pub, just after the explosion, it boots back to the homebrew channel menu. all the relevant files are in the folder, works fine on PC
i suspect its a bug in the wii version

crashes in the exact same place that speggy posted

"zis bombing iz an outrage, iz it not"
Javi-Wan Kenobi

Post by Javi-Wan Kenobi »

I'm playing the spanish version
It works fine until I try to enter the castle in Ireland, from the top of the hay pile.
Then, it exits to the Homebrew Channel.
raschi

Post by raschi »

Javi-Wan Kenobi: Are you using the ogg package together with the video files? Because if you are, try using flac audio that comes with the video files instead. Solved this exact problem for me.
There is definately a problem with the wii port and ogg audio. Hopefully dhewg will look into this soon.
Excellent port.
Javi-Wan Kenobi

Post by Javi-Wan Kenobi »

You were right.

I had a similar error with Broken 2, just when the movie where George and Nico arrive Quaramonte must be played, because I was using the OGG files.
With the Flac ones, both games work fine.

Well, not quite fine: In Broken 2, the sound in the cutscenes makes some random distortions.
May it be because the music and speech files are conmpressed? (mp3 compression, from clu to cl3, in order to put the game in a 1GB SD card. It's the only game in the card).
I don't thing so, because the music and the speech files are for the in-game music and speech, right? So they have no relation with the sound on the cutscenes...
raschi

Post by raschi »

I think the sound distortions are related to data transfer speeds from SD card, but I'm not sure. Maybe we can convert the flac files to mp3 and see how that works?
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

I've just arrived here looking for a solution for saving in BS1.
Originally I'd forgot to point ScummVM to the save path.
Once that's done I'd just plugged in a USB keyboard when I remembered another post saying how keyboards aren't supported. It was probably regarding an Indy game's boxing part.
Pushing every button I found that somehow I have some letters mapped to my Wiimote D-Pad. I think down gave me a "y" so I was able to name my save "yyy".

Can anybody clear this up? Can I configure my Wiimote D-Pad somehow and add different letters and numbers?

Quick edit if I'd of looked at that Indy keyboard thread a bit more I'd have my answer. Doh.
zaccret

Post by zaccret »

Javi-Wan Kenobi wrote: I don't thing so, because the music and the speech files are for the in-game music and speech, right?
I think there are different files for cutscenes and "in-game" music/speech