ScummVM logo Forum Index - ScummVM website - Contact us - Buy Supported Games: GOG.com Rules - Search - Register - Login curved edge
Folder Forum Index > Wii Port > Keyboard support? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Keyboard support?
  Author    Thread Reply to topic
dhewg
ScummVM Porter


Joined: 04 Jun 2008
Posts: 169
 

hi brijohn,

i didn't want to strip the loading of keymaps off a FS altogether, my idea was to integrate the most common ones and add that possibility later on again. I compared some existing implementations, and i liked the *BSD code, so I just committed another bunch of changes, which does use much BSD code. The lib now allows stacked maps, meaning that every map is based on the US layout and thus the compiled size is as small as it gets. It also allows a "user" keymap, that can be used for external maps later on.

I also found out that there is a country code of a USB HID
descriptor. The BSDs are using that, and those matches exactly the keymaps i re-used Smile That would make a better default like i currently use (with the issues involved like you mentioned).

There're many other features in there, most of them unused atm (like support for dead keys).

And you're right about the shift+key repeating issue, thats still present on my code. Thanks for explaining.

I really like the integration of libwiikeyboard into libogc. To avoid double work, what do you think about access to my git repo? You could just work on your own branch and we can simply merge back and forth...

EDIT: some stats:

code:

powerpc-gekko-size lib/wii/libwiikeyboard.a
   text    data     bss     dec     hex filename
   3403       4       0    3407     d4f usbkeyboard.o (ex lib/wii/libwiikeyboard.a)
   2720       8      40    2768     ad0 keyboard.o (ex lib/wii/libwiikeyboard.a)
   6754       0       0    6754    1a62 ukbdmap.o (ex lib/wii/libwiikeyboard.a)
   3197     774       4    3975     f87 wskbdutil.o (ex lib/wii/libwiikeyboard.a




thats not bad at all with all those keymaps methinks Very Happy
 Reply with quote  
Post Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:57 am 
 View user's profile Send private message
Maxrunner



Joined: 30 Mar 2008
Posts: 29
 

Using the virtual keyboard when i press enter it just appears [Enter] issnt it supposed to activate the previous input command, like a normal keyboard.?

 Reply with quote  
Post Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:12 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Bossk



Joined: 03 Nov 2008
Posts: 107
 

No, you enter the sequence of keys you want and dismiss the vkeybd.

 Reply with quote  
Post Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:19 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message
Maxrunner



Joined: 30 Mar 2008
Posts: 29
 

quote:
Originally posted by Bossk
No, you enter the sequence of keys you want and dismiss the vkeybd.


oh, so lets say im playing the old kings quest, i call the virtual keyboard and when i press the keys they appear in the text box of the game right???
 Reply with quote  
Post Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:23 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Maxrunner



Joined: 30 Mar 2008
Posts: 29
 

Also do i have to unzip the files vkeybd.zip(this one dont according to brijohn) and scummmodern/classic.zip???

 Reply with quote  
Post Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:11 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Bossk



Joined: 03 Nov 2008
Posts: 107
 

No. You keep the files as released.
Don't unzip, just put it in the correct location on your SD card (/apps/X for HBC).

 Reply with quote  
Post Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:16 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message
Maxrunner



Joined: 30 Mar 2008
Posts: 29
 

quote:
Originally posted by Bossk
No. You keep the files as released.
Don't unzip, just put it in the correct location on your SD card (/apps/X for HBC).


Yes, i also have a scummvm folder in the root where i put the games. Using sam and max cd game it seems i when i quit it just hangs...
 Reply with quote  
Post Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:20 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Red_Breast



Joined: 30 Sep 2008
Posts: 785
Location: The Bar Of Gold, Upper Swandam Lane.
 

quote:
Originally posted by Maxrunner
quote:
Originally posted by Bossk
No. You keep the files as released.
Don't unzip, just put it in the correct location on your SD card (/apps/X for HBC).


Yes, i also have a scummvm folder in the root where i put the games. Using sam and max cd game it seems i when i quit it just hangs...


Try the USB key/b 'Esc' key to quit.
If you're asking do you put the zips in the ScummVM folder on the root of your SD card then no.
Leave the zips in apps/scummvm folder where the boot.dol is.
 Reply with quote  
Post Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:40 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message
Maxrunner



Joined: 30 Mar 2008
Posts: 29
 

quote:
Originally posted by Red_Breast
quote:
Originally posted by Maxrunner
quote:
Originally posted by Bossk
No. You keep the files as released.
Don't unzip, just put it in the correct location on your SD card (/apps/X for HBC).


Yes, i also have a scummvm folder in the root where i put the games. Using sam and max cd game it seems i when i quit it just hangs...


Try the USB key/b 'Esc' key to quit.
If you're asking do you put the zips in the ScummVM folder on the root of your SD card then no.
Leave the zips in apps/scummvm folder where the boot.dol is.


Does that work with the virtual keyboard?
 Reply with quote  
Post Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:36 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Red_Breast



Joined: 30 Sep 2008
Posts: 785
Location: The Bar Of Gold, Upper Swandam Lane.
 

quote:
Originally posted by Maxrunner

Does that work with the virtual keyboard?


I don't know. The time between virtual and physical support was short and I was busy at the time so I've hardly used it.
 Reply with quote  
Post Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:48 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message
Maxrunner



Joined: 30 Mar 2008
Posts: 29
 

i have a usb pen but it doesnt seem to be detected.

 Reply with quote  
Post Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:24 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Red_Breast



Joined: 30 Sep 2008
Posts: 785
Location: The Bar Of Gold, Upper Swandam Lane.
 

quote:
Originally posted by Maxrunner
i have a usb pen but it doesnt seem to be detected.


It might be that your pen is old (USB 1.0 or 1.1) maybe and that the Wii is USB 2.0 and isn't backward compatible.
Are you looking as far as you can to the top of the 'tree' where SD comes under fat, USB under usb and DVD under dvd.
 Reply with quote  
Post Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:05 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message
Jaffacakelover



Joined: 04 Jul 2009
Posts: 3
 

I have created a more Wii-looking Bitmap set for the Virtual Keyboard:


http://www.freewebs.com/mwojm/vkeybd_default_jcl_v1.zip

Rename to vkeybd_default.zip and overwrite original to use (backup original first!)


Been looking at the code; here start the questions/feedback... Confused

* Is there a way to have 2 modifiers on the same key? Looking for a method where pressing the shift key will set the display to 'uppercasesymbols' and use the modifier, the switch back to 'lowercasesymbols' once an alphanumeric key is picked!

* Related to above, why the symbols key? Would save a lot of code to just have the symbols appear when you press shift/Caps lock!

* Can the font in the textbox be made bigger? Can the brackets around the alphanumeric keys in this textbox be removed? Is the code for all this in the XML file or elsewhere?

* Can the red SCUMMVM cursor be used on the vkeybd instead of the SCUMM crosshairs?

* Can backspace do what it says instead of typing [backpace]?

*Closely related to the previous question, is it possible to call what's already in a clicked-on box into the textbox (eg. clicking on a named save game)?


Feel like i've kicked your sandcastle down now, but that's not what i'm aiming for: Love being able to play these games on Wii! Very Happy

(I didn't even ponder a movable I-Bar... drat!)

 Reply with quote  
Post Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:15 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message
MusicallyInspired



Joined: 02 Mar 2007
Posts: 908
Location: Winnipeg, MB Canada
 

I second all these feature requests. And I love the new keyboard bitmap!

 Reply with quote  
Post Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:09 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
sev
ScummVM Lead


Joined: 21 Sep 2005
Posts: 1826
 

quote:
Originally posted by Jaffacakelover
Been looking at the code; here start the questions/feedback... Confused

Yay! Those are really nice questions. DJWillis and me will be happy to work on them, as this is the first real feedback on the current code. Super!

First, your keyboard is just lovely. Would you like to let us incorportate is as a default one? (under GPL).

quote:
Originally posted by Jaffacakelover

* Is there a way to have 2 modifiers on the same key? Looking for a method where pressing the shift key will set the display to 'uppercasesymbols' and use the modifier, the switch back to 'lowercasesymbols' once an alphanumeric key is picked!

Do you mean that you want alphanumeric keys to turn uppercasesymbeols off?

quote:
Originally posted by Jaffacakelover

* Related to above, why the symbols key? Would save a lot of code to just have the symbols appear when you press shift/Caps lock!


It is up to a keyboard designer. You can do that in XML.

quote:
Originally posted by Jaffacakelover

* Can the font in the textbox be made bigger? Can the brackets around the alphanumeric keys in this textbox be removed? Is the code for all this in the XML file or elsewhere?


Yes. Though probably for the flexibility it would be good to introduce another property keyword. Currently it is done in code.

As of the brackets, we need to come with a proper approach to this, I would use some special gfx to split the keys, which will take minimal space. One thing which comes to mind is use underline or draw a border around single key. We need to discuss it.

quote:
Originally posted by Jaffacakelover

* Can the red SCUMMVM cursor be used on the vkeybd instead of the SCUMM crosshairs?


It is a good request and is easy to implement.

quote:
Originally posted by Jaffacakelover

* Can backspace do what it says instead of typing [backpace]?


Actually there has to be another backspace key which will remove last key in the keyboard instead of generating backspace event.

quote:
Originally posted by Jaffacakelover

*Closely related to the previous question, is it possible to call what's already in a clicked-on box into the textbox (eg. clicking on a named save game)?


As I assume, next thing which will be needed is editing capabilities in the textbox? Currently if this request is implemented, you will be able only to modify the tail characters.

quote:
Originally posted by Jaffacakelover

Feel like i've kicked your sandcastle down now, but that's not what i'm aiming for: Love being able to play these games on Wii! Very Happy


In fact this is really really nice, as I've mentioned. However, scummvm-devel is much more suited for this discussion (unless other forum lurkers will participate, in which case we'd better switch to General Forum and a separate thread).


Eugene
 Reply with quote  
Post Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:09 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
  Display posts from previous:      
Reply to topic

Forum Jump:
 
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next


Forum Rules:
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

 

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2006 phpBB Group
Forum design by ScummVM team, icons by raina
curved edge   curved edge