Discworld

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

fcyron

WindowsCE Version

Post by fcyron »

Hi,

has anyone compiled a WindowsCE version with tinsel support and is willing to make it available to the public? I don't find any recent builds of ScummVM neither on this side nor over the internet (furthermore, I'm not capable of compiling it myself ;) ).

Kind regards,
fcyron
Lostech

Post by Lostech »

I could upload an actual SVN build from today with Tinsel but I can not check if this really works.
Do you prefer a CAB installation or as a ZIP archive?
fcyron

Post by fcyron »

I'm fine with both as long as it's a version for ARM CPUs ;)
Lostech

Post by Lostech »

Of course its for ARM since the MIPS build isn´t supported anymore ;)

OK, here it is as ZIP archive:
http://rapidshare.com/files/133536668/S ... 0.ZIP.html

Some infos about this build:
This is a plugin version. This means all engines are "outsourced" into plugin DLLs which is from my point of view more stable and uses less resources on small PDA devices than a static compiled version would do.
Instead of Tremor the Tremolo library is used for OGG playback because Tremolo should be more efficient on ARM devices.
This SVN build has all engines except the Cruise engine which can not be compiled as plugin version for WinCE.
All engine data in this build archive should be also up-to-date so no need to search for newer SVN versions at the moment.
Please remind that probably not all engines might work proper under WinCE although it is possible to compile them because not every engine might be already adapted to be used in the WinCE/WinMobile environment without keyboard/mouse.

And now have fun :)
ddkram

Post by ddkram »

ok md5 i have built the newest SVN (rev33440) and loaded up the game and i still get the exact same error. is this because i am using my old saves with the latest SVN ? should i start a new game to stop this error ?
fcyron

Post by fcyron »

@Lostech: Thank you very much :D
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

ddkram wrote:ok md5 i have built the newest SVN (rev33440) and loaded up the game and i still get the exact same error. is this because i am using my old saves with the latest SVN ? should i start a new game to stop this error ?
That's quite strange, I had such errors but they were fixed for me with rev #33438. So the problem must be something else
ddkram

Post by ddkram »

ok i have got the newest SVN (33460) and compiled it and ran it on a new game so that my old saves wouldnt be corrupting my new saves. and it still happens. it appears the crash happens when to many characters are used on the save screen over and over again (for example lots of saves with long names).
as can be seen here
http://img513.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... ingxb2.jpg

so i guess i will just have to use shorter filenames and less saves then i do. or just keep moving saves into a backup folder and only keeping 1 or 2 in my scummvm folder.

Also i have noticed a few other small bugs but these may have been in the original as well (my memory isnt that great).
Act2. Inventory in the Lspace in "The Street" is a weird colour.
Act2. Water bucket in the woods is already up but if you crank the handle it comes up again.
Act3 Barman Pours wine and the wine is still on the shelf and also in the barmans hand while pouring.

There is also the spiders web in the dark forest keeps showing rincewind getting caught even after it has been broken
(but i am pretty sure this happens in the original from what i remember. but i wasnt sure about the other bugs so i posted them here just incase)
fcyron

WindowsCE Version

Post by fcyron »

Hi Lostech,

I tried the version you had uploaded, but it doesn't recognize any scumm games (I didn't try Discworld yet, so, does this version only recognize tinsel games?).

Regards,
fcyron
Lostech

Post by Lostech »

I just checked it on my Loox and its working both the automatic scan and choosing the game folders manually.
This build is also not only for Tinsel. As I mentioned above it can be used for all supported games except Cruise for a Corpse.
So there might some possible causes for your problem.
The first one is that you didn´t copy the DLL plugins with the game engines so that there is only the main EXE. You can check if the engines are available in the about menu. This box scrolls down and shows which engines and features are available. Here you should see the names of the engines. If not then the engines can not be found.
The next possible cause could be that you are pointing to a wrong folder with your games. Also the automatic scan does not search all available folders on your PDA it only scans the subfolder from a given folder downwards.
There could be also a problem with your extracted game data. You can check if your extracted games do work by using the PC version of ScummVM. If they don´t work here they can also not work on your PDA.
Last edited by Lostech on Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
fcyron

Post by fcyron »

@Lostech: Thanks for the fast reply.

The about-screen shows all engines properly. The game directory is correct and version 0.11 finds those games on my pocketpc without a problem. Only version 0.12 and 0.13 don't work properly (I tried a different build than yours, same problem). I'm using a HP4700 with WM 6.1. Could WM 6.1 be the problem?
Lostech

Post by Lostech »

At the moment I can not tell what might be the problem but I think there is a workaround possible.
Scan with the ScummVM version which does find your games. Take the created "scummvm.ini" file and copy it into the folder with the new SVN version. Although it does not scan it should now start and show you the entries for your games and you should be able to start them.
Discworld will be all little more problematic here because the old ScummVM version will not recognize this game. But you could copy the the Discworld entry of a PC "scummvm.ini" into the PDA "scummvm.ini" and change the folderpath to the existing game folder on your PDA.
fcyron

Post by fcyron »

Hmm, would it be possible to post a ScummVM version with statically linked engines? My version 0.11 is statically linked and works fine. Both 0.12 and 0.13 are dynamically linked and refuse to work.

The std output says something like:

Failed loading symbol 'PLUGIN_getVersion' from plugin '\SD Card\ScummVM 0.13\ScummVM.dll'

User picked target 'touche' (gameid 'touche') Looking for a plugin supporting this gameid...failed

Does this help? The path seems correct...
Lostech

Post by Lostech »

fcyron wrote:Hmm, would it be possible to post a ScummVM version with statically linked engines? My version 0.11 is statically linked and works fine. Both 0.12 and 0.13 are dynamically linked and refuse to work.
No problem, I will upload a static compiled build as zip archive.

The std output says something like:

Failed loading symbol 'PLUGIN_getVersion' from plugin '\SD Card\ScummVM 0.13\ScummVM.dll'
Thats absolutely normal because ScummVM checks all DLLs in its own folder regardless which name they have if it is a plugin engine DLL or a regular DLL. Since "ScummVM.dll" is a main program related DLL and not a engine DLL this must fail. On the other hand the Scumm engine is placed in the "scumm.dll" and not in "ScummVM.dll". So nothing to worry about.

User picked target 'touche' (gameid 'touche') Looking for a plugin supporting this gameid...failed
The Touche engine is loaded because it will be shown in the about box. In the debug log file you will find also the following line:
Success loading plugin '\SD-MMCard\ScummVM_ARM_2008-07-30\touche.dll', handle 8F2E3540
So it seems that there is a regular bug in the touche engine or you have an unsupported version of the touche game when trying to load it. I can not test this due to having not the game.
Nevertheless its not important since a possible faulty engine does not affect other engines. You could for example delete the "touche.dll" and the rest of ScummVM would still work.

P.S.:
I think this is now more general WinCE related than Discworld game related so I propose you open a different topic in the WinCE section.
fcyron

Post by fcyron »

Ok, I will switch to the windows ce discussion.

Thanks for your help :D !

Regards,
fcyron