Putting games on your PSP

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's PSP (PlayStation Portable) port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

temporaryscars

Putting games on your PSP

Post by temporaryscars »

So where do I begin? I've done some searches to see if I could find the answer, but people are so vague. I have no clue how to get a game on my PSP to work with scummvm.

Can somebody just give me a step by step on how to do this? I'm currently trying to get Broken Sword on, and I went to: http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Dataf ... e_Templars
to see what files I needed, but what the hell is *.clu? Is that even a file? I don't even see it in there.

And what am I supposed to do with these files? Just throw them in a folder and load it up on my PSP? Where am I supposed to put the encoded cut scenes?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
DrMcCoy
ScummVM Developer

Re: Putting games on your PSP

Post by DrMcCoy »

temporaryscars wrote:but what the hell is *.clu? Is that even a file? I don't even see it in there.
The * is a wildcard. It stands for any number of characters.
"*.clu" would then mean "All files with the extension clu", i.e. "compacts.clu", "general.clu", etc..
temporaryscars wrote:And what am I supposed to do with these files? Just throw them in a folder and load it up on my PSP?
Assuming the PSP binary behaves the same as the PC one, you would put the files for Broken Sword in a directory, ScummVM in another, then start ScummVM and point it to the Broken Sword folder (via the "Add Game" button in ScummVM).
temporaryscars wrote:Where am I supposed to put the encoded cut scenes?
You can put them into the folder where you've put the Broken Sword files.
temporaryscars

Re: Putting games on your PSP

Post by temporaryscars »

DrMcCoy wrote:
temporaryscars wrote:but what the hell is *.clu? Is that even a file? I don't even see it in there.
The * is a wildcard. It stands for any number of characters.
"*.clu" would then mean "All files with the extension clu", i.e. "compacts.clu", "general.clu", etc..
temporaryscars wrote:And what am I supposed to do with these files? Just throw them in a folder and load it up on my PSP?
Assuming the PSP binary behaves the same as the PC one, you would put the files for Broken Sword in a directory, ScummVM in another, then start ScummVM and point it to the Broken Sword folder (via the "Add Game" button in ScummVM).
temporaryscars wrote:Where am I supposed to put the encoded cut scenes?
You can put them into the folder where you've put the Broken Sword files.
Alright, now that's what i'm talkin' about! I'll give it a shot!
temporaryscars

Post by temporaryscars »

Well, I put in all the files that it said I should, I load up scummvm on the PSP, I go to where all the files are saved when I click "add game" and there's no executable to select from. Now what?
temporaryscars

Post by temporaryscars »

Ok, scratch that. It's working, but there's no music. What can I do about that?
joostp
ScummVM Developer

Post by joostp »

temporaryscars wrote:Ok, scratch that. It's working, but there's no music. What can I do about that?
Copy the music files...?
temporaryscars

Post by temporaryscars »

joostp wrote:
temporaryscars wrote:Ok, scratch that. It's working, but there's no music. What can I do about that?
Copy the music files...?
I did. It seems to be working in the game, but not in the cutscenes. The cutscenes play, but there's no sound.
temporaryscars

Post by temporaryscars »

Also, how do I compress it? I see from searching the forums that you're supposed to use the cmds in the tools package, but how do I actually use it? There aren't any tutorials on it anywhere.
temporaryscars

Post by temporaryscars »

Update: I got the sound working for the cutscenes. When you go to the extra downloads section, there are two different things you need. Download both of the English files.

I'm putting this here for anyone who has the same problems in the future.

So, the only thing now is it figure out how to shrink it down. If any of the 51 people who have looked at this could help me with that, that would be awesome.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Please, read the FAQ/manual/README or search the forums before asking. Your questions have already been answered there, yet I will give some brief answers.

For Broken Sword 1, you only need its cutscene pack from the downloads section. If you don't get sound, it means that the PSP port does not support FLAC audio, hence you need the OGG audio add-on. I guess that's what the "two different things" are.

To compress the game's sounds, you need the ScummVM tools from our downloads section, from which you need the compress_sword1 tool. You'll need to download the appropriate executables of the codec you wish to use (LAME for MP3, VORBIS for OGG and FLAC).

As for a more detailed manual, you can find it here:
http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/User_Manual
as well as the README for ScummVM and the ScummVM tools.

The part you're interested in is:
compress_sword1
Used to compress Broken Sword 1's music and speech .clu
files to .cl3 (MP3), .clg (Vorbis) or .clf (FLAC).

Example of usage:
compress_sword1 [params] <inputdir>
We would be glad for any suggestions or additions to it.

For any extra help on the tool, you can run it without parameters
temporaryscars

Post by temporaryscars »

md5 wrote:Please, read the FAQ/manual/README or search the forums before asking. Your questions have already been answered there, yet I will give some brief answers.

For Broken Sword 1, you only need its cutscene pack from the downloads section. If you don't get sound, it means that the PSP port does not support FLAC audio, hence you need the OGG audio add-on. I guess that's what the "two different things" are.

To compress the game's sounds, you need the ScummVM tools from our downloads section, from which you need the compress_sword1 tool. You'll need to download the appropriate executables of the codec you wish to use (LAME for MP3, VORBIS for OGG and FLAC).

As for a more detailed manual, you can find it here:
http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/User_Manual
as well as the README for ScummVM and the ScummVM tools.

The part you're interested in is:
compress_sword1
Used to compress Broken Sword 1's music and speech .clu
files to .cl3 (MP3), .clg (Vorbis) or .clf (FLAC).

Example of usage:
compress_sword1 [params] <inputdir>
We would be glad for any suggestions or additions to it.

For any extra help on the tool, you can run it without parameters
Yes, I know that these questions are answered elsewhere, the problem is, they may as well have been written in Greek. I mean, "compress_sword1 [params] <inputdir>"? What does that even mean? The guides out there assume that you must know something already about running command prompts.

For example, I still don't know what VORBIS is. I went to vorbis.com, and there are multiple things for download there. There doesn't seem to be just one file named VORBIS. Then, which files do I encode? How do I encode them? Saying "Oh, you just need to get that thing." doesn't really help.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

temporaryscars wrote: Yes, I know that these questions are answered elsewhere, the problem is, they may as well have been written in Greek. I mean, "compress_sword1 [params] <inputdir>"? What does that even mean? The guides out there assume that you must know something already about running command prompts.
What's wrong with Greek? :)
That's standard notation for ALL command line tools (ScummVM's and others). Don't expect to have EVERYTHING explained step-by-step, it's like trying to swim without moving your arms :)

Let's say you want to compress the game's sounds in MP3:
- Download ScummVM tools from our downloads page
- Download lame.exe from here:
http://www.rarewares.org/mp3-lame-bundle.php
- Copy compress_sword1.exe from the tools package in the game's folder
- Copy lame.exe in the game's folder as well
From Windows, go to Start->Run, type "cmd" (without the quotes), then type:

Code: Select all

cd drive_letter&#58;\path_to_the_game_folder
e.g. if the game's files are in folder "sword1" in your C: drive, type:

cd c&#58;\sword1
Then type:

compress_sword1 --mp3
....and wait ;)
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

As for VORBIS, it's the people who did the OGG music compression. ScummVM supports the following sound compressions:
- MP3 (you should know about that)
- OGG (the free alternative to MP3, by VORBIS)
- FLAC (lossless compression)

...and again, you can just google for "OGG wikipedia" or "FLAC wikipedia" to read about the formats you don't understand.
temporaryscars

Post by temporaryscars »

Ahh, see? Now that is exactly what I need. I'll give it a shot! Thanks for all your help. :D
temporaryscars

Post by temporaryscars »

Ok, I did what you said:

I typed in cd:\sword1

Then I pressed enter.

Then I typed in compress_sword1 --mp3

I got:

And here's what i'm working with:

So where did I go wrong?