S80 issues

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Symbian (mobile phones, etc) ports

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Very good suggestion

Post by Anotherguest »

I think that is the best idea so far. Using pen and then pressing others will be the perfect system key, what about that for F1->F10 also for 1-10? I think rotating the cursor keys should be quite easy, just a matter of remapping the symbian->SDL mapping when the screen mode and rotation changes.
jg

Post by jg »

I don't know how you want F1-F10 to fit in there. The Pen idea would work like this:
  • User presses any of the keys 1-9
  • EScummVM checks; is Pen/ABC pressed also?
    Yes -> Handle numeric key as a system key.
    No -> Forward the keypress to ScummVM as a normal character '1' - '9'.
However, since you now have 9 system keys replacing 4 (1, 2, 3, Pen), you could put all of the screen changes there. Plus you don't even need toggles anymore, just one key per action.

Pen +
  1. Horizontal scroll
  2. Vertical scroll
  3. Flip screen
  4. Fillscreen landscape mode
  5. Portrait mode
  6. Fullsize landscape mode
  7. Joystick mode
  8. Cursor mode
  9. Writing mode
This actually leaves the C key totally unused. So if you really want F-keys on the S60, you could use C + Numpad for that. All those F-keys would be perfect for making more keymappings in ScummVM, for example C + 5 -> F5 -> Save/Load and C + 0 -> F10 -> Pause.

So now:
  • User presses any of the keys 0-9
  • EScummVM checks; is C pressed also?
    Yes -> Forward to ScummVM as F-key 'F1' - 'F10'.
  • Now we know it's not an F-key.
  • Is Pen/ABC pressed?
    Yes -> Handle system key.
    No -> Forward to ScummVM as a normal character '0' - '9'.
This is either very confusing, or very useful. :)
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Still you need a mouse movment + left/right mousebuttons

Post by Anotherguest »

When starting.. and we have ok, left & right softkeys .. And then remember.. this has to work on ALL kinds of S60 devices.. not just a 6680 .. N-Gages are quite different
9500user

Post by 9500user »

jg wrote:Unless you're trying * from the main menu. From there, instead go to Options -> Paths -> Keys for the key mappings.
Thanks, that did it. :)
9500user

Re: '*' Is F5 on S60 devices

Post by 9500user »

Anotherguest wrote:And I am using the menu button on S80 devices as the F5 /Saveload key.

So in-game '*' on S60 should do the same thing as menu on S80.
This is the problem I have now, I saw that it was using "Menu" before, but when trying to re-assign it, SCUMMVM doesn't accept the "menu" key and therefore doesn't do antyhing when I press it.

All it does is empty the key mapping and I have to use a different key to replace it.

Any ideas?
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

Clear out the keyconfig in the ini file, and start from scratch.. Remember.. the S80 already has most of they keymappings DONE.. Alt+T is F5 for example.. (ALT+Q == F1).. So actually you already have the original ScummVM key mapping setup
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

Keys for S80 is as follows
Special keys used in SDL:
The Caps lock key enables or disables the virtual cursor.
Function keys are mapped as follows:
F1=chr+q, F2=chr+w,..., F8=chr+i,
F9=chr+a,..., F12=chr+d.
9500user

Post by 9500user »

Thanks for the info. I hope all these useful info can be incorporated in the documentation for ScummVM as there isn't a section yet for Symbian ports.

This will definately help other users out.
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

Yes I have n't had the time to write any read.txt yet, and that has to be done for each of the platforms. Specially the S60 version which has the most terrible keycontrols
jg

S60 key mappings

Post by jg »

Anotherguest wrote:[Still you need a mouse movment + left/right mousebuttons.] When starting.. and we have ok, left & right softkeys .. And then remember.. this has to work on ALL kinds of S60 devices.. not just a 6680 .. N-Gages are quite different
OK, I took a look at some different S60 phones (all of the Nokia ones plus a few Samsung), and I can't see much of a difference. They all have Pen/ABC, C, left/right soft keys and 0-9 (duh), including the N-gages. So no big problem there.

Ergonomically though, there is a problem. It looks like the Pen + Numpad scheme I proposed would be really uncomfortable on the N-gage (since they're both on the right side of the screen), so how about a Pen + Joystick scheme? The Pen key can be pressed with the right hand on both N-gages, and the joystick is on the left.

Pen + Left: Scroll horizontally
Pen + Up: Scroll vertically
Pen + Right: Toggle screen mode
Pen + Down: Flip screen
Pen + Fire: Toggle cursor mode

The advantage here is that the numpad is left free for other things. The C + Numpad scheme for F-keys is still very natural on the N-gage, but they've moved C over to the right on the QD. But F-keys are not a necessary feature, so if QD users really want to use F-keys they can probably live with that.

As for the mouse, my suggestion is joystick for moving the mouse, just like it is now, plus Fire for right click (like now), but move left click to the right soft key. That may sound strange on most S60s, but on the N-gages I can imagine people would want easy access to both keys by using both thumbs. Actually, you would get the same "both thumbs" usage on a normal S60 in portrait mode.

How's that? Did I miss anything?
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

Ahh.. well. yes Functionskeys are very important, at least F5 which usually is the Save key, without it you cant save. Also Pen is nogo on S60 as it only registers as a shift key, the result is that it acts as a modifier only, and I am only getting the down event but not the up.. So right now I am left with the C key as a modifier. Combining C and Pen is also no go, as they are really close on the N-Gage.

So right now I have C+1-5 as control keys, releasing 1-9 for other things.

And very often you have to hold either left or the right mouse button, as the sametime as you move the cursor .. So that means that you have to be able to move the cursor at the same time as you are pressing the mousebutton.