WVGA Devices

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's PocketPC/HandheldPC port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Hades32

WVGA Devices

Post by Hades32 »

Hy,
I have a WVGA device, namely the Toshiba PORTEGE G900, and I had the same problem as described here http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=5092 .
But this was easyily worked around.

But was really bothers me is, that I cant play e.g. Indy4 in real fullscreen. If I hide the Scumm toolbar I only get a black bar at the bottom...

It would be really nice (and I guess not too hard to implement) if WVGA devices would get real fullscreen and the toolbar would be at the side.

Can we hope for such a WVGA fix? :roll:
Hades32

Post by Hades32 »

OK, let's say it a different way:

Is there any special WVGA support planed for the next version?
bykovk

Post by bykovk »

try to use this tool.
steve.r

Post by steve.r »

I'm having exactly the same problem on a Dell Axim x50v.

Anyone have any ideas?
MapleDouglas

Post by MapleDouglas »

Same here on Xperia X1. WVGA support would be great, if not a practical necessity on WVGA devices.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

The resolution you're talking about is 800x480. There are no games which were designed for such a resolution. "Adding support" for WVGA would involve stretching the screen image horizontally, which would be very slow (thus people will start complaining about videos or animation being choppy), plus the resulting image would look awfully stretched and ugly. I really don't see the point in adding such a resolution
MapleDouglas

Post by MapleDouglas »

What I meant with "support" was that the highly annoying cursor position glitch on devices with 800x480 resolutions would be fixed, and that the toolbar would be on the right side at the currently unused space, instead of at the bottom (as Hades32 mentioned earlier). If you had used ScummVM on a WVGA mobile, you would see my point :)
MapleDouglas

Post by MapleDouglas »

An update to the WVGA fix, that solves this issue on 480x800 screens:

** WVGA Fix 2 **

http://forum.xda-developers.com/attachm ... 1225069954

Enjoy!
Bobbin Threadbare

Post by Bobbin Threadbare »

I am just about to buy a WVGA device as well (touch hd or xperia, i think hd) anyway I love replaying my scumm games over and over again on every new device i get. I would definately put my vote forward for a true WVGA support where you can have games in all their VGA glory with the menu filling the unused space on the right.

** on a slightly different note I am just starting a computing MSc and have been having fun programming in C, is scumm written in C and is the source code avaliable? I'm guessing no but thought I would ask anyway. **
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Bobbin Threadbare wrote:** on a slightly different note I am just starting a computing MSc and have been having fun programming in C, is scumm written in C and is the source code avaliable? I'm guessing no but thought I would ask anyway. **
ScummVM is written in C++, not C
And it's an open source application, so the code is freely available to anyone to peruse, in the SVN repository:
http://scummvm.svn.sourceforge.net/view ... mvm/trunk/
(SVN stands for subversion, a code revision control system, used to track the different versions of each file from every developer)
MapleDouglas

Post by MapleDouglas »

How nice to see that more people raise this question... I for one can't wait for proper WVGA support, it would be great if ScummVM filled the entire screen with the toolbar on the side instead. Hopefully the developers, bless their hearts, will take notice and implement this functionality soon enough.
darthmelk

Post by darthmelk »

I also own an Xperia X1 with 800x480 res. I think the easiest way would be to add a 2.4 resolution multiplier and get rid of the scummvm bar on the lower side of the screen.

From what I remember, all LucasArts old games use a 320x200 res, so they have almost the same aspect ratio as a WVGA screen. A lot of screen space is wasted by that scummvm bar, maybe you could put it vertically on the right side of the screen, with much smaller icons. Using that res multiplier I told you about, we'll have the game resolution of 768x480, and you will have a column of 32x480 on the right side to put the scummvm bar icons.

Is it a good idea? Can it be done? Or is there any other plan to better support these WVGA devices?
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

darthmelk wrote:I also own an Xperia X1 with 800x480 res. I think the easiest way would be to add a 2.4 resolution multiplier and get rid of the scummvm bar on the lower side of the screen.

(...)

Is it a good idea? Can it be done? Or is there any other plan to better support these WVGA devices?
Er, this is actually much harder than it sounds.

To explain:
Say you got a multiplier of 2. You got 4 pixels, like these:

If we stretch these pixels by a factor of 2, we basically copy each pixel to the right and bottom. So, the resulting image would look like:

This is not possible with a multiplier of 2.4, so your idea is not applicable - a pixel is a unit, you can't copy parts of it.

To stretch the screen with such a multiplier, we'd have to repeat pixels at intervals, which is much harder, and the resulting image would look distorted. i.e. we would have to copy the pixels on every Nth line, and every Nth column. This is much slower to perform in real time, and as mentioned, skews the image.
darthmelk

Post by darthmelk »

I see your point, it will be harder to "zoom".

But think about movies... You can zoom to make it fullscreen even if the video res isn't an integer multiple of the screen res, i.e. I am able to view 1280x720 videos on my 1920x1080 screen and they don't look distorted. And it's not 2X.

Can't this type of zoom be applied to ScummVM, instead of the simple X2 that can only double the height and width?

On one of my PCs I run ScummVM for Windows in 1600x1200, HQ3x filter - the game resolution would be 960x600, but it looks very good on 1600x1200. So this type of zoom is possible.

I hope you undertand what I'm trying to explain... :)
Lostech

Post by Lostech »

You can´t compare the hardware power of a regular PC with graphiccard (which is optimised for such scaling routines) against a PPC/PDA hardware and its limited graphic capabilities.