Proposal for TFMX audio replayer

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Minello

Proposal for TFMX audio replayer

Post by Minello »

Hello!
I read somewhere in the TODO list, that the coders are considering the idea of implementing a TFMX replayer for use with the Amiga version of Monkey Island 1, which has very nice music and sfx.
Well, there exist at least 2 dedicated projects, but none is perfect and I doubt they are still maintained.
So my proposal is to contact the authors of DeliPlayer (http://www.deliplayer.com/), particularly the person who developed their TFMX engine, Peter Kunath. The 68000 emulation core used by this engine is based on that of UAE, the Amiga Emulator and was modified by Kunath and other people. The main application is closed-source, but probably the TFMX and 68000 modules are not, so it's worth trying.
To anyone who was misled by the subject into thinking I was going to undertake the development myself, sorry! I don't have half the skills necessary for the task.

Thank you for reading this far!

--
Nonno Minello
DrMcCoy
ScummVM Developer

Re: Proposal for TFMX audio replayer

Post by DrMcCoy »

Minello wrote:I read somewhere in the TODO list, that the coders are considering the idea of implementing a TFMX replayer for use with the Amiga version of Monkey Island 1
It's currently a project taken up by a student for Google's Summer of Code 2008.
Minello wrote:Well, there exist at least 2 dedicated projects, but none is perfect and I doubt they are still maintained.
So my proposal is to contact the authors of DeliPlayer (http://www.deliplayer.com/), particularly the person who developed their TFMX engine, Peter Kunath. The 68000 emulation core used by this engine is based on that of UAE, the Amiga Emulator and was modified by Kunath and other people. The main application is closed-source, but probably the TFMX and 68000 modules are not, so it's worth trying.
Well, there's also UADE, a free EaglePlayer/Delitracker implementation ontop of UAE. And it comes with 68k assembly sources for the TFMX replayer. As far as I understand, that should be the one the DeliPlayer uses. Correct me if I'm wrong, though.
Minello wrote:To anyone who was misled by the subject into thinking I was going to undertake the development myself, sorry! I don't have half the skills necessary for the task.
No problem. Especially since the task is already taken anyway. ;)
Kaminari

Post by Kaminari »

Minello wrote:my proposal is to contact the authors of DeliPlayer
Good luck. The DeliPlayer devs went AWOL without any notice about three years ago. Even the forum mods don't have a clue about what's going on with them.
clem

Post by clem »

Kaminari wrote:Good luck. The DeliPlayer devs went AWOL without any notice about three years ago. Even the forum mods don't have a clue about what's going on with them.
Out of sheer boredom I tried tracking them down - it's not like they're hiding under rocks :)

I found a list of their publications

I also found their "official" email addresses (in a paper dated 2006, probably still valid)

(my, what a good little stalker I am ^^)
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

I just wondered, is 68K emulation needed to be able to playbackl TFMX music properly? That would be a big compability and performance issue for many mobile/small platforms.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

No, the goal is to rewrite it in C++, and we have a GSoC student who is going to work on that.

Eugene