About The Clou! and ScummVM

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Matt Stuvysunt

About The Clou! and ScummVM

Post by Matt Stuvysunt »

Hello to all

I'm a fan of "The Clue!" (or "Der Clue!" in Deutsch language) and would like to play on Linux and handheld platforms like I can with other games using ScummVM.

I don't know if ScummVM Team knows about this game and the availability of an Open Source interpreter for this game, it seems based on the original source code of the game. Here is the project page.

I wonder if there can be some volunteer for merging this engine into the ScummVM family and having it available for a lot of different platforms. I just was unable to find a Linux port, just a win32 port is available.

I don't know if the current source code is compatible with the license used in ScummVM (GNU GPL?), I have no clue about technical or legal stuff.

I looked at the source code and I see text in Deutsch, so probably there will be needed to translate it or find some dev that knows the language. A friend said me that the source code looks "C".

I looked at mobygames and the developer is named Helmut Gaberschek.

NEO Software was purchased from Rockstar and renamed from NEO Software to Rockstar Vienna. It was closed in 2006 without announce.

Staff from Rockstar Vienna founded Games that Matter Productions Gmbh, shortly purchaed by Koch Media and then founding Deep Silver Vienna.

The game was released for Amiga and then ported to DOS.

I posted a similar message on the The Clue! forums here too.

Links:

http://cosp.sourceforge.net
http://www.mobygames.com/game/clue
Rockstar Vienna
http://antaresdesign.de/theclue/forum/
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

The MobyGame description sounds to me more like a role playing game than a classic point&click adventure, so this appears to be somewhat out of scope to me... But then I never played the game.
clem

Post by clem »

Kinda offtopic, but I'd love to see an open source/freewared version of "Prototype" by NEO.
Matt Stuvysunt

Post by Matt Stuvysunt »

RPG? The game is an adventure game with strategy.
The Clue! will appeal to both adventure and strategy gamers alike, as it incorporates elements of both in this interesting and unusual presentation from NEO Software. You take the role of Matt Stuvysant, a burglar who must casually question characters to discover which is the best future target for his next heist. You plan out your crime, recruit accomplices and arrange for getaway cars in this unique game wherein you get to play the bad guy. While the game has a grasping storyline, the graphics are amazingly beautiful and supported by amusing sound and music.
clem

Post by clem »

when it came out I always had the feeling it was some kind of "business simulation." never played it though.

funny how the impressions of one and the same game can vary
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

It's more a strategy than RPG or adventure

Like a remake of C64's "They Stole a Million"
Nothing much to do with point&click adventures
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

I would say more strategy than adventure. I started an update/port, and its lots of choices, but still no puzzles to be seen. Its a matter of getting to know people, having the right skills it seems. Nice format for a mobilephone though. But thats not really ScummVM related anyhow.
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

And how nice.. the sourceforge project is dead, and the WIN32 version has not the latest code released for it.. why.. it contains bugs. hmm. and any links to the linux version (SDL) does not work.
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

But there is a link available for the updated SDL version. So for a quick LINUX build, just download the source and built it.

http://web.ist.utl.pt/~ist62669/theclue/
Matt Stuvysunt

Post by Matt Stuvysunt »

Yes, it's more strategy than adventure. I'm sorry if the game doesn't fit into ScummVM philosophy, I've seen other games like the Elvira series and Another World but this last one was removed by some request of the original author.

I built the game under by Ubuntu and runned fine. The game runs in a rather buggy way, doing weird things like mixing talks even when being in different zones and missing dialog options (like the option for ask the person to join the "team"). When I exit the game, it changed the resolution of the desktop so I need so change it manually or restart the xorg.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Matt Stuvysunt wrote:Yes, it's more strategy than adventure. I'm sorry if the game doesn't fit into ScummVM philosophy, I've seen other games like the Elvira series and Another World but this last one was removed by some request of the original author.
The games in the Elvira series used almost the same engine (AGOS) as the Simon the Sorcerer games, which is one of the main reasons they have been included :)