Mandriva Port

Discussion about other and unofficial ports of ScummVM

Moderator: ScummVM Team

ERKAN

Mandriva Port

Post by ERKAN »

Hi I am using Mandriva 2008.1 and I was wondering if you guys could release a new version of ScummVM for Mandriva because the 0.8.0 version doesn't support many of my favourite games and I don't want to waste another day reinstalling windows or installing Fedora
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Unfortunately our old Mandriva builder doesn't reply to our e-mails. So if you know someone interested, just let us know.

Eugene
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Out of curiosity, won't any other *nix version work? (e.g. the version for Fedora 7/8 ). I remember that Mandriva uses an RPM system as well for package installation, right?
chrisis

Post by chrisis »

@md5: I can confirm, the Fedora version is working fine on Mandriva 2008 One Spring (the recent version)
ERKAN

Post by ERKAN »

Sorry for not answering for a very long time, I contacted mandriva and this is what they said:
huh? they're carrying around 100MB in the plf repos and it doesn't work?
3.0M ./mirror/plf/i586/free/scummvm-0.11.0-1plf2008.1.i586.rpm
67M ./mirror/plf/i586/non-free/scummvm-beneath-a-steel-sky-1.2-2plf2007.0.noarch.rpm
35M ./mirror/plf/i586/non-free/scummvm-flight-of-the-amazon-queen-0-3plf2008.1.noarch.rpm
looks to me like these are 2008.1 versions...
That version should be fine. The email you received relates only to the packages hosted on their own site. Maybe you should let them know that PLF has packages
About other versions tried fedora version it just opens wine but I don't see even the SCUMMVM shell!
ERKAN

Post by ERKAN »

Hi found SCUMMVM 0.12.0 for mandriva 2009.0 at PLF
Copy these links or please post them at your downloads page

http://mandriva.cointech.net/pub/plf/ma ... 0.i586.rpm

http://ftp.mandrivausers.ro/pub/plf/man ... 0.i586.rpm
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Let me explain. We call a port official and offer it for download from our page only if there is a person in our team who can deal with that port-specific questions.

Also as you may noted, all our official ports are hosted on sf.net. We need that at least for checking the statistics.

In this case, consider Mandriva port as unofficial one, as there is no maintainer for it in our team, and there is no binary package supplied at the time of release.

Eugene
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

There is another issue Eugene didn't mention, but: We want ports to come from people we "know" (have a mail adress and a real name, and ideally know a bit more than that, too), for basic security reasons. After all, it's very easy to provide packages with ScummVM plus some extra bits added (like a trojan / adware / spyware). We can't guarantee that random builds on the net are clean. Also, sometimes 3rd party packages are missing files, are made from buggy versions of the source, etc. etc.. And if a 3rd party part is buggy / broken, we have no way to deal with that -- on the other hand, for an "official" port/package, we have a contact person whom to ask for help with resolving troubles.

Anyway, if anybody here is interested in working as official Mandriva packager, do not hesitate to contact Sev and me (please do not use forum PMs to contact us -- follow the "Contact us" link at the top of the page to find out how to contact us properly).
bobdevis

Post by bobdevis »

For everyone who wants a package for any Linux distro of any version, I would like to point out how easy it is to compile your own.
Just compiling your own makes you independent of whether or not a package for your distro is offered. You can also always grab the latest beta this way to test new ScummVM features.

- Download the source.
- Unpack to a directory.
- Run './configure' from that directory in the command-line.
- Resolve dependencies.
If the output of configure, for example, is complaining that it needs zlib, you need to fire up your package manager and install zlib-dev or something similar named.
- Keep running configure and installing the dev packages until there are no problems.
- Run 'make' (this may take a while and give strange output, don't worry, that is normal)
- Run 'sudo make install'

Now everything should be installed. You can start ScummVM with the 'scummvm' command in the command-line.
A 'sudo make uninstall' in that same directory you unpacked the source in will uninstall the ScummVM again. I guess this is recommended to do before you compile and install a newer version.

----

As a reference, here is how my './configure' looks like.
If you want any of the skipped game engines like for example 'SAGA [SAGA 2 games]' and 'Objective Uikokahonia' you need to run configure as './configure --enable-saga2 --enable-igor'. For more information run './configure --help'

Code: Select all

sb@v4:~/Desktop/scummvm$ ./configure
Running ScummVM configure...
Looking for C++ compiler... g++
Checking for compiler version... 4.3.2, ok
Checking endianness... little
Type with 1 byte... char
Type with 2 bytes... short
Type with 4 bytes... int
Compiling for x86... no
Checking hosttype... linux-gnu
Alignment required... no
Checking whether building plugins was requested... no
Checking for Ogg Vorbis... yes
Checking for Tremor... no (Ogg Vorbis/Tremor support is mutually exclusive)
Checking for FLAC >= 1.0.1... yes
Checking for MAD... yes
Checking for ALSA >= 0.9... yes
Checking for zlib... yes
Checking for libmpeg2 >= 0.3.2... yes
Checking for libfluidsynth... yes
Backend... sdl, HQ scalers, MT-32 emu
Looking for sdl-config... /usr/bin/sdl-config

Engines (builtin):
    SCUMM [all games]
    AGI
    AGOS