Using Amiga audio with the MS-DOS version of a game

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Ben Paddon

Using Amiga audio with the MS-DOS version of a game

Post by Ben Paddon »

There are a few games, such as The Secret of Monkey Island and Simon the Sorcerer, where the Amiga version had better audio but the MS-DOS version had superior graphics. I'm wondering if there's any way to convince ScummVM to interpret the audio from the Amiga versions if it had the data files handy. Reminiscence, a cross-platform interpretor for the DOS version of Flashback: The Quest for Identity, is able to do this, for instance - emulating the MS-DOS version of the game but substituting the Amiga music.

How difficult would it be to implement such a feature?
clem

Post by clem »

Ben Paddon

Post by Ben Paddon »

Ah, clever. Should've searched for it first. :oops:
Kirben

Post by Kirben »

For Monkey Island 1, you could buy the CD release, and use alternative music files.

For Simon the Sorcerer 1, why not buy the Amiga CD32 version? with music been the only difference, compared to the PC releases.
Ben Paddon

Post by Ben Paddon »

Kirben wrote:For Monkey Island 1, you could buy the CD release, and use alternative music files.

For Simon the Sorcerer 1, why not buy the Amiga CD32 version? with music been the only difference, compared to the PC releases.
I don't know how ScummVM handles the Amiga versions of Simon, but I know the framerate on the Amiga version is noticeably slower in places with a large amount of animation. That may have been a hardware thing, though.