ScummVM logo Forum Index - ScummVM website - Contact us - Buy Supported Games: GOG.com Rules - Search - Register - Login curved edge
Folder Forum Index > iPhone Port > Pointer is too low?
Pointer is too low?
  Author    Thread Reply to topic
cromas



Joined: 15 May 2006
Posts: 8
Pointer is too low? 

I'm not sure if this is an issue with my phone's calibration or something that everyone else is used to -- didn't find anything else in my (brief) serach.

I just installed the latest ScummVM on my 1.1.4 phone. It's very difficult for me to press the buttons in the main menu. The pointer is consistently 5-10 pixels below the location of my tap -- if I want to press a button, I have to tap a few mm above where I normally would.

Is this an issue that has been seen before, or do I just have a funny phone? Is there any possibility of building a "calibration" feature into ScummVM to help compensate for this?

 Reply with quote  
Post Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:19 am 
 View user's profile Send private message
iwaarden



Joined: 11 Mar 2008
Posts: 2
 

i have the exact same problem

 Reply with quote  
Post Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:25 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer


Joined: 16 Oct 2005
Posts: 585
 

I believe it's more about different ways of pushing a finger down Smile. There'll likely be a few millimeters difference between where you're aiming at, and the spot where the first part of your finger actually touches the screen. The phone registers the last bit, there's no inbuilt compensation.

A calibration feature would be nice, I agree. It won't be the highest priority for me personally though. Maybe someone else wants to give it a shot? Smile

 Reply with quote  
Post Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:14 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message
giidii



Joined: 29 Feb 2008
Posts: 2
 

As I said in another post, I have the same issues.

Hope to see this thing solved soon. I encourage all developers!!

Cheers

 Reply with quote  
Post Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:07 am 
 View user's profile Send private message
iwaarden



Joined: 11 Mar 2008
Posts: 2
 

quote:
Originally posted by Vinterstum
I believe it's more about different ways of pushing a finger down Smile. There'll likely be a few millimeters difference between where you're aiming at, and the spot where the first part of your finger actually touches the screen. The phone registers the last bit, there's no inbuilt compensation.

A calibration feature would be nice, I agree. It won't be the highest priority for me personally though. Maybe someone else wants to give it a shot? Smile


in game i have no problem, only in the menu where you slect a game and stuff
 Reply with quote  
Post Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:21 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message
blunden



Joined: 10 Jun 2008
Posts: 22
Location: Sweden
 

I agree. It's really hard pressing conversations lines in Curse of Monkey Island and the alternatives in the menu (to the point that I mistakenly press the wrong lines quite often. Sad A calibration feature would be really great since the scummVM port to the ipod touch/iphone is other than that working very well. Smile

 Reply with quote  
Post Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:51 am 
 View user's profile Send private message
PlayingKarrde



Joined: 02 Dec 2007
Posts: 22
 

I'd have to agree. The iPhone port of ScummVM is fantastic, but the lack of calibration/accurate pointing is the one thing thats holding it back from being my ScummVM port of choice.

I'd personally like to see it bumped up that priority list as afaik this has been a request pretty much since the first release.

Great job overall though. Really appreciate it Smile

 Reply with quote  
Post Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:36 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message
TomFrost



Joined: 23 Apr 2007
Posts: 178
 

As a tip (especially when choosing conversation lines) many games support right-click. So you can slide your finger down through the conversation lines until the one you want is highlighted, then tap a second finger on the screen to right-click that option. It does the exact same thing as left-clicking, but now you get super control over which you click on.

The same thing works with most objects in games like Monkey Island too -- generally, right clicking an object will perform the default action with it, like opening a door for example. So you can slide one finger around until the thing you want is highlighted, and tap another finger to right-click on it and do the default action.

It doesn't cover ALL of the needs for precision-clicking, but it helps!

 Reply with quote  
Post Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:39 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message
PlayingKarrde



Joined: 02 Dec 2007
Posts: 22
 

This is true.

However I do feel proper precision and calibration is better than having to compromise. I'm not a developer but I can't imagine it is that hard to do since the NDS version of ScummVM has it. Even if its just shifting around values (or a touch here to calibrate) would be more ideal would be fine for most people I'm sure.

Just that little extra to take this port from a 90% greatness to 95% (I'm leaving 5% out since I haven't played it enough due to calibration issues).

 Reply with quote  
Post Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:45 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message
blunden



Joined: 10 Jun 2008
Posts: 22
Location: Sweden
 

quote:
Originally posted by PlayingKarrde
This is true.

However I do feel proper precision and calibration is better than having to compromise. I'm not a developer but I can't imagine it is that hard to do since the NDS version of ScummVM has it. Even if its just shifting around values (or a touch here to calibrate) would be more ideal would be fine for most people I'm sure.

Just that little extra to take this port from a 90% greatness to 95% (I'm leaving 5% out since I haven't played it enough due to calibration issues).
Agreed.
 Reply with quote  
Post Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:32 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message
p-scummvm@technowizardry.



Joined: 22 Sep 2008
Posts: 2
I notice this too 

Just installed and I've already noticed this problem.

 Reply with quote  
Post Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:10 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message
  Display posts from previous:      
Reply to topic

Forum Jump:
 



Forum Rules:
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

 

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2006 phpBB Group
Forum design by ScummVM team, icons by raina
curved edge   curved edge