Fate of Atlantis and the Island of Thera

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's PocketPC/HandheldPC port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

LaSombra

Fate of Atlantis and the Island of Thera

Post by LaSombra »

Hi guys,

I'm using ScummVM 0.8.0 and, when I try to use the fish net, the bug basket or the balloon it crashes every single time :(
The crash files says:
"Exception Access Violation Flags 0000...0 Address 000fd288"
Parameter 0 0000...0
Parameter 1 1e47f1a6

Any ideas?

Thank you!
Cirion81

Post by Cirion81 »

Hi,

knowing the name of your device and the OS which is running on it would really help in identifying your problem.

BTW: a number of problems posted recently in this forum concided with using the PocketScumm built for PocketPC 2003 on a PocketPC 2002, so maybe you want to check if this is also the case for you

-Christian
LaSombra

Post by LaSombra »

I can't believe I forgot that!!
I'm using a Dell Axim X51v with Wm5.
Cirion81

Post by Cirion81 »

Well .... I have no idea!

I believe when PocketScumm crashes, a crash report is written (at least this happened with one of the 0.7.0 versions). You could search for that on your PDA - if I remember rigth this was written in the "My Device" folder, but I'm not 100% sure about that. Maybe there are some hints included what went wrong.

-Christian
LaSombra

Post by LaSombra »

No, no clue, just a memory dump
:(
Cirion81

Post by Cirion81 »

The memory dump could help one of the devolpers. Don't know if they contact you or if you have to contact them.
Maybe you could post this memory dump as a bug report alongside with the savegame leading to the crash. Then they have all the data you can provide and they can decide if this is a general bug or just a problem with your device.

-Christian
frank_m24

Post by frank_m24 »

Hello,

sure, the data files are not corrupt? Maybe you should copy them again to your mobile device or storage card.

Also you could try to play them with another version of ScummVM, maybe Win32, Linux or MacOS in order to verify the files are ok.

best regards

Frank
Cirion81

Post by Cirion81 »

sure, the data files are not corrupt?
Since AFAIK ScummVM calculates a MD5 of the game data to identify the game, the files should be correct, as long as the games is correctly identified.

-Christian
frank_m24

Post by frank_m24 »

Hello,

I'm not sure, if this MD5 is calculated over the whole files. Somewhere in the old forums was mentioned, that the MD5s are only calculated from the first MB of some files. I'm not sure, which files are used and which part of the files are used for the MD5s in ScummVM.

best regards

Frank
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

frank_m24 wrote: I'm not sure, if this MD5 is calculated over the whole files.
In scumm engine it is up to 1Megabyte of either index file or Mac bundle. For some other engines it may calculate md5 of all files, but in case of saga, it takes only first 5000 bytes of each file. I.e. ScummVM doesn't really check game data consistency. We just never collected that info, though it will be really helpful to have. It just will (a) take a lot of time (b) require some kind of DB or something, at least a way to manage tens of thousands of checksums easily.

Eugene
LaSombra

Post by LaSombra »

Hi Frank,

I'll try that in a few seconds.
frank_m24 wrote:Hello,

sure, the data files are not corrupt? Maybe you should copy them again to your mobile device or storage card.

Also you could try to play them with another version of ScummVM, maybe Win32, Linux or MacOS in order to verify the files are ok.

best regards

Frank
LaSombra

Post by LaSombra »

It worked perfectly on WinXP.
:(
Cirion81

Post by Cirion81 »

I sent you a PM with my email-adress, so if you like you can send me your savegame. I own the Fate Of Atlantis (English - CD-Version).

If you have the same version (or the savegames are compatible) I can run a check if I am able to pass the specified point in game without a crash on my iPAQ hx4700.

Might take a while, though, since I am off to my family now for christmas. So don't expect anything to hear from me until next wednesday.

-Christian
LaSombra

Post by LaSombra »

Just to let you guys know, I've got the same error again on the city where the submarine arrives (I forgot the name of the city).
And another information, I'm following the Wits Path.

Thank you!
Cirion81

Post by Cirion81 »

Hello LaSombra,

just tested myself - PocketSCUMM crashes also on my hx4700 with Win2003SE.

I took the liberty to post a bug report. Hope this is ok for you.

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.ph ... tid=418820

Greetings

-Christian