ScummVM logo Forum Index - ScummVM website - Contact us - Buy Supported Games: GOG.com Rules - Search - Register - Login curved edge
Folder Forum Index > Help and Support > Installing Secret of MI (pc floppy version)
Installing Secret of MI (pc floppy version)
  Author    Thread Reply to topic
Helen1

Installing Secret of MI (pc floppy version) 

Hi!

Well I though I'd dig out my old copy of Monkey Island and wallow in some nostalgia. However, I'm having some problems even installing the game!

I have the pc version (3 floppy discs) and I'm trying to install it onto my laptop (windows xp). In the absence of a floppy drive I've copied the files from the 3 floppies onto my usb jump drive [_install, install, LHA, LHA312, MD1.LZH, MD2.LZH and MD3.LZH] and tried running the install.exe from there...at which point it asked to insert disc 2 and then had a hissy fit, beeped at me and closed the dos window!

I've had a look at the FAQ on the site and what files I need, but from what I can gather those are files post-installation?

Could anyone point me in the right direction?

edit: secret not escape

Last edited by Helen1 on Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:51 pm 
Jimbob

Re: Installing Escape from MI (pc floppy version) 

quote:
Originally posted by Helen1
Hi!

Well I though I'd dig out my old copy of Monkey Island and wallow in some nostalgia. However, I'm having some problems even installing the game!

I have the pc version (3 floppy discs) and I'm trying to install it onto my laptop (windows xp). In the absence of a floppy drive I've copied the files from the 3 floppies onto my usb jump drive [_install, install, LHA, LHA312, MD1.LZH, MD2.LZH and MD3.LZH] and tried running the install.exe from there...at which point it asked to insert disc 2 and then had a hissy fit, beeped at me and closed the dos window!

I've had a look at the FAQ on the site and what files I need, but from what I can gather those are files post-installation?

Could anyone point me in the right direction?

I'm taking a bit of a guess saying this but I think you should be able to use LHA on the 3 .LZH files to extract whatever is stored in them. You'll probably have to open a console and cd into the directory on the USB key, it'll be something like
code:
lha x <filename>

to decompress the files. Hopefully after they've been extracted you should be able to add the game to ScummVM and start playing.

One quick question, I take it you mean Secret of Monkey Island not Escape from Monkey Island that's in the title of the post?

Jimbob
Post Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:24 pm 
LogicDeLuxe

Escape from Monkey Island would require several hundreds of floppy disks.
Why not just stick to the CDs instead?

Post Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:29 pm 
Helen1

Sorry for the confusion, I meant Secret of Monkey Island. I have the box for escape from monkey island on my desk aswell so I wasn't thinking!

I tried running the LHA213-thing. It extracted 'history.eng, a un-openable help file and a work document with a list of lots of commands. How would I go about using the LHA thing on the files on the discs? :S I'm not really sure on how to run dos on windows xp.

Post Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:34 pm 
Jimbob

quote:
Originally posted by Helen1
Sorry for the confusion, I meant Secret of Monkey Island. I have the box for escape from monkey island on my desk aswell so I wasn't thinking!

I tried running the LHA213-thing. It extracted 'history.eng, a un-openable help file and a work document with a list of lots of commands. How would I go about using the LHA thing on the files on the discs? :S I'm not really sure on how to run dos on windows xp.

Using the Start Menu in the Accessories sub-menu is a way to start a Command Prompt, use this (not explained very well!!). Then try to use
code:
lha x

or, possibly
code:
lha -x

on each of the .LZH files.

Jimbob
Post Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:39 pm 
LogicDeLuxe

Why use LHA at all? Why don't you just use the uncompressed original floppies?

Post Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:55 pm 
Helen1

Ah-ha, there we go.

Running LHA from the command prompt window did the trick. Thanks a lot for the help, now I better quit monkeying around and get started (...sorry that was really poor :p)

edit: As for using uncompressed floppies, I just copied the files directly from the floppies - Didn't expect to need to do anything than run the installer. Smile Oh well, its working now.

Last edited by Helen1 on Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:59 pm 
Jimbob

quote:
Originally posted by LogicDeLuxe
Why use LHA at all? Why don't you just use the uncompressed original floppies?

Because the .LZH files are compressed and I guess they need decompressing.

Jimbob
Post Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:59 pm 
Reply to topic