New version - OS5

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Palm port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Chrilith
ScummVM Porter

New version - OS5

Post by Chrilith »

Just uploaded a new test version (site doesn't reflect the change yet)

- GUI in any mode
- Fixed navigator control (?)
- NVFS support to fopen

let me know if this version works better
kertong

Post by kertong »

It doesn't work at all for me.

I have a Sprint Treo 650.

in /PALM/Launcher/ I have the new ScummVM-Frontend.prc and skin.pdb files provided in the arm.zip.

In /PALM/Programs/ScummVM/Mods/ , I have the scumm.engine file that was provided in arm.zip.

Upon launching scummVM and clicking "Scumm Games" (or any other button, like beneath a steel sky, etc), it says: "scummVM engine file was not found! please check that all required files are installed on yoru card, and you have enough free storage memory".

Eh? I miss scumm :(
Chrilith
ScummVM Porter

Post by Chrilith »

perhaps I'm not always using the correct card in direct mode. Try to install frontend and skin via hotsync then you will be able to select the correct card.
tebra

Post by tebra »

OK, this version works on my T|T3.
The sound is very good with DOTT.
The problem is that the picture is very small (scumm starter interface and during game). It's impossible to read text
Chrilith
ScummVM Porter

Post by Chrilith »

did you try to swtich to wide mode ? (reported to crash on T3... :( )
kertong

Post by kertong »

Hey Chrilith -

Thanks for your help! I've installed scummvm-frontend and skins.pdb through hotsync. Now, the skin loads (before I got the bare button menu), and I've manually entered in monkey island 1, but it still can't find the scumm.engine file - even though I put a copy on the internal card, and another copy in /PALM/Programs/ScummVM/Mods/ :(
Chrilith
ScummVM Porter

Post by Chrilith »

click the small card (top right) and check that the carrect card is selected.
kertong

Post by kertong »

Chrilith wrote:click the small card (top right) and check that the carrect card is selected.
Ah, I tried that, but then it says: "Importing Databases...", then quits and leaves me back at the palm launcher. Hmmmm.
Chrilith
ScummVM Porter

Post by Chrilith »

If you use the frontend to launch a game perhaps you did a mistake in the configuration. Try to run in direct mode (no game selected and start)
kertong

Post by kertong »

Chrilith wrote:If you use the frontend to launch a game perhaps you did a mistake in the configuration. Try to run in direct mode (no game selected and start)
direct mode started. :) awesome! thanks chrilith. this arm test version is great - lot of quirks (that have already been mentioned), but its great that I can hear music/sound and still play at full speed.

Cheers :)
markcov

Post by markcov »

kertong - have the same problem. go to the \Palm\programs\ScummVM and you'll find a scummvm.log file. I'll bet it says something like

Looking for monkey2
Trying to start game 'Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's revenge'
WARNING: Failed to instantiate engine for target monkey2!

Chrilith - my old configuration must not work with 0.8.0. The direct mode worked fine for me, I'll delete the ini and start over.

Quick notes:
- Wide screen works fine on my TT5. Monkey2 didn't appreciate the flip from normal to wide during the "copy protection" section, had to soft reset.
- 5 way works well
- Esc key (2nd button) works
- Auto Power off works
- Version says 0.9.0cvs (isn't it supposed to be 0.8.0 of the engine?)

Excellent work! Thank you!

markcov
glokidd

Post by glokidd »

Hi chrilith, I just got done testing on my e2, Once again i love the speed.

Now im starting to think im doing something wrong in my upgrading

basically all the audio in any game (cd audio or monster.sou source)i play is extremely buzzy (to the point that i worry for my speaker)and 'skips' a little
And im still experiencing fatal exeptions on quitting monkey cd and every second time i start zaktowns during the main title screen

To upgrade this time i first opened up my 7.0 versions direct mode and removed all configurations from the d. mode launcher, and deleted ScummVM with the built in the PalmOS delete manager. I then deleted all mods from my /PALM/Programs/ScummVM/Mods folder and added the new scumm.engine file. I deleted all audio from my ScummVM\audio folder and put the game tracks in their respective folders(named track1.mp3 etc.). Then i installed the new frontend and skin and tried it out

Basically what im wondering if theres something that im doing(or not doing)
that is causing the audio 'buzzy'-ness and the fatal exception errors?

Thanks again, Chrilith
Hope this info helps

GloKidd (Grant Yeager)
trekkie22

Post by trekkie22 »

Hi!

The problem I mentioned here is always present. If I try to use a .mp3 compressed monster.so3 for DOTT, my Treo resets after a few seconds...

Without speech DOTT runs perfectly.

I also tried MI and MI2, without problems till now. If I find some, i'll report them here.
tebra

Post by tebra »

Chrilith wrote:did you try to swtich to wide mode ? (reported to crash on T3... :( )
It don't crash because I can't minimize the keyboard zone of the screen on my T3. Portrai and landscape mode have the same 320x320 deffiinition
goetz

Re: New version - OS5

Post by goetz »

Chrilith wrote: let me know if this version works better
This version works nicely on my Tungsten C. For your reference, I can start the following games:

DOTT, Indy3, Atlantis, Fatedemo, Loom, Maniac, Monkey, Monkey-Demo, Monkey2, Monkey2-Demo, Passport , Sam+Max, Zak

All with nice sound (speech not tested) and all seem fully playable to me. Good job! :)

However, when I accidentally hit the wrong key (# if I remember right) I got a hard reset. Don't know what it is supposed to do, but I will avoid this key in the future. :(