Problem with latest version 0.11.0 on my psp slim

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's PSP (PlayStation Portable) port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

z4lk

Problem with latest version 0.11.0 on my psp slim

Post by z4lk »

Thanks for a new version of scummvm.

My problem tho, is that it seems to run much slower than the previus version when i run monkey island 3 it runs way worse than in 0.10.0
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Maybe you previously used a non-official version of ScummVM which somebody modded to change the clock speed of your PSP to 333 MHz instead of the standard 222 MHz?
z4lk

Post by z4lk »

nope, i had the original 0.10.0 downloaded from the site.
sfaok

Post by sfaok »

I know the PSP maintainer has previously indicated a desire to leave the emulator working at 222mhz and aim for optimizing games with that speed in mind, which in the past I would have agreed with. Howeever, since newer firmwares have allowed game developers to use the full power of the psp (god of war springs to mind) and that the official sony PS1 emualator functions at 333mhz, I think these days restricting yourself to a now seemingly outdated cpu limit which Sony imposed for the sake of battery conservation would be counter-productive.

it would be a shame if the full potential of the psp wasn't fully realised and I believe given the newer more economical slim batteries and the more powerful batteries available for the original PSP, a function to allow 333mhz on a game to game basis would be of great benefit to the end user. I'm sure given the choice most users would sacrifice an hour or two in game time for a smoother gameplay experience.

Once again, thanks for yet another build of my favourite psp app, looking forward to giving some of the new games a whirl especially Lure of the Temptress as it was a game I missed out on at the time.
joostp
ScummVM Developer

Post by joostp »

Due to popular demand I did actually build a 333mhz version as well this time around, but haven't yet uploaded it somewhere.

Anyway, it's unfortunate that COMI is playing slower on 0.11.0 than 0.10.0.
Seeing as the PSP backend was hardly touched since the previous release, this most likely is due to some SCUMM engine change.

One of these days, someone should sit down and do some profiling runs of COMI (on both PC and PSP).
z4lk

Post by z4lk »

ah, nice. cant wait for the 333mhz upload :)

Also i found that if i change the skin, its not possibel to change it back (the modern skin is not in the list) is there a way to change it back? other than reinstall it again that is.
jak66

Post by jak66 »

Is ScummVM the only thing thats changed, or have you also updated your firmware?
Thanks to Sony's 'optimizations' to the memory stick driver, many users who updated to 3.80 M33 have reported slowdowns in memory stick read/write times when compared to 3.71 M33 and lower.
I'm not sure if this could be the problem or not though, but thought it would be worth mentioning.
Last edited by jak66 on Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
z4lk

Post by z4lk »

yea, i did update to m33 3.80, tho i went back to the old version scummvm 0.10.0 and it still works the same so i dont think that is the problem.
orderoftheflame

Post by orderoftheflame »

z4lk wrote:ah, nice. cant wait for the 333mhz upload :)

Also i found that if i change the skin, its not possibel to change it back (the modern skin is not in the list) is there a way to change it back? other than reinstall it again that is.
I know you've quite probably fixed this by now, as this threads a couple of months old, but I found i had the same problem today. Deleting the scummvm.ini file from the root of your memory stick will reset ScummVM back to the modern skin. You'll have to re-add all your games unfortunately though.

Post by Avatar76 »

joostp wrote:Due to popular demand I did actually build a 333mhz version as well this time around, but haven't yet uploaded it somewhere.
joost any chance of that psp 333mhz version?