ScummVM logo Forum Index - ScummVM website - Contact us - Buy Supported Games: GOG.com Rules - Search - Register - Login curved edge
Folder Forum Index > PlayStation 2 Port > the point is .. ??
the point is .. ??
  Author    Thread Reply to topic
brat_1
Banned

the point is .. ?? 

What's the point of running scummvm on ps2 ?? Does one get better graphics for instance ??

Post Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:16 am 
brat_1
Banned

btw, not trying to be a jerk about this, just really interested that's all, cause i love scummvm .. plz fill me in .

Post Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:22 am 
Dal

ScummVM allows you to play games that support the Scumm engine (and some more) See compatibility for further details. The scummVM engine has been developed for many platforms (PC, Mac, Amiga, Atari, PS2 etc etc). The compatibility with other platforms should be seen as purely compatibility and nothing more. You will not get any better graphics from one platform to another as graphics are determined by the game itself. You may however notice performance differences between platforms.

The point is you can now play some old adventure games (like Monkey Island or Leisure suit Larry) on systems for which they were not designed to run.

Post Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:44 am 
Angel_Azrael

I always prefer playing videogames on a console. It's way better more confortable and enjoyable than in front a PC, imagine playing Monkey Island 2 or Loom with a big TV and surround sound... Cool

The only games I played on PC were the adventure games from LucasArts, Sierra, Westwood, etc... (back in the 90's) the series Wolfenstein, Doom and Quake (also in the 90's) and some emulated games from console and arcade systems. That's all!

Even if I would have the ultimate PC, I always will prefer my consoles like PS1, PS2, XBOX360... and my future game consoles Laughing

ScummVM was a surprise for me, I never imagined playing my old favorite games in my PS2. This "emulator" is fantastic, it plays the games exactly like it should be. I hope this fantastic project never end in PS2 and other systems.

Bye! Wink

Last edited by Angel_Azrael on Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:31 am; edited 1 time in total

Post Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:12 pm 
brat_1
Banned

yeah 

yeah that's a very good point !

Post Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:08 am 
sev
ScummVM Lead

quote:
Originally posted by Angel_Azrael
I hope this fantastic project never end in PS2 and other systems

Unfortunately we are already looking for PS2 port maintainer, as our current one does not have any time for the port. That is, pretty soon there will be ScummVM 0.11.0, but no PS2 port will be built.

If you know some PS2 dev or a dev with PS2 and interest in ScummVM development, please, tell us.

Eugene
Post Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:35 am 
fingolfin
Retired

And also tell *him* to start working on ScummVM Wink

Post Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:53 am 
Angel_Azrael

I wish I could know something about PS2 Dev... only C++. I have no idea how to port the code to PS2. Sorry guys, I really sorry. Crying or Very sad

If I could, I would be porting this right now... Smile

Post Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:16 pm 
theli

i wonder - what is the state of PS2 port and what needs to be done?

Post Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:47 pm 
md5
ScummVM Developer

quote:
Originally posted by theli
i wonder - what is the state of PS2 port and what needs to be done?

Recently, a new PS2 port maintainer, Max Lingua, has joined the ScummVM team. He is working on a PS2 port for the 0.11.1 version of ScummVM. You can find more information in the scummvm-devel mailing lists here:
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_name=JVP6QH%24B5F6FEBB675F2207D4DDD6D79486C268%40libero.it&forum_name=scummvm-devel
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_name=JVUUJU%24D94373E90C72596D4D58AE99BF84BB34%40libero.it&forum_name=scummvm-devel
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_name=JW7DCC%24D5B1082FE8714B2E3E2A63468B0A8C2F%40libero.it&forum_name=scummvm-devel
Post Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:01 pm 
Reply to topic