Broken Sword 2 - Speech2.clu - Help Please ?

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

wo33er

Broken Sword 2 - Speech2.clu - Help Please ?

Post by wo33er »

First off hello :D, first post in the forums and id like to say great program, i decided i would try the broken sword series (after being a fan of monkey island and sam & max). Great so far, #1 ran perfectly and #2 has worked great up untill now :(.

Im currently at Act 7 on "The Beach" where i am looking for the three stones. The speech sound (and possible SFX) have completed stopped, iv tried playing for a while without them but the great voice acting is such a great feature not to be missed :(.

I have it set up with speech1.clu and speech2.clu in the main broken sword 2 folder, i assume the problem is with speech2.clu (and therefore the CD2) as it cropped up around half way.. which i assume would be the CD change point usually.

Hope someone can help me, dont want to miss out on such a great overall experiance.

Thanking you in advance - Wo33eR :D
Jimbob

Re: Broken Sword 2 - Speech2.clu - Help Please ?

Post by Jimbob »

wo33er wrote: I have it set up with speech1.clu and speech2.clu in the main broken sword 2 folder, i assume the problem is with speech2.clu (and therefore the CD2) as it cropped up around half way.. which i assume would be the CD change point usually.
This is probably a silly suggestion but have you tried copying the speech2.clu file from the original CD again? The file may have been corrupted or something when you originally copied it off the CD.

Jimbob
wo33er

Post by wo33er »

No thats not a silly idea at all but unfortunatly didnt help :(. Tried it a few times and just tried it once more now.. nothing.

Iv even tried putting the sound2.clu in all sub folders and even having it named as sound1.clu and sound.clu.. tried as many combinations as i can think of.
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

wo33er wrote:No thats not a silly idea at all but unfortunatly didnt help :(. Tried it a few times and just tried it once more now.. nothing.

Iv even tried putting the sound2.clu in all sub folders and even having it named as sound1.clu and sound.clu.. tried as many combinations as i can think of.
Well it was worth a go. It may of course be a bug, I don't think I've got this far in BS2 yet ... it's been a long time since I played it so I've forgotten the story line and where I got to (DOH!).

Jimbob
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

I'm almost certain that CD 2 begins with the jungle, so if you had speech there it should have found the speech2.clu file correctly. I have no idea why the speech would stop working in the Caribbean, and the sound effects for an area are stored in the same file as the graphics etc. so they should always work.

I assume you are still getting speech earlier in the game. Otherwise, it would be tempting to think that the error is with sound itself and/or the speakers, not with BS2 and the Caribbean area.
wo33er

Post by wo33er »

Sorry i explained a little wrong in my first post, im currently at the Beach but thats because i wanted to try to play without sound.. spoiling the game, the sound did stop at the jungle. The sound worked perfect beforehand and even when i right click (look at) old items in my inventory i hear speech to describe them :(.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

wo33er wrote:Sorry i explained a little wrong in my first post, im currently at the Beach but thats because i wanted to try to play without sound.. spoiling the game, the sound did stop at the jungle. The sound worked perfect beforehand and even when i right click (look at) old items in my inventory i hear speech to describe them :(.
You hear speech when examining objects in your inventory, but not for anything else in the jungle? The only way I can think of to reproduce that is if the speech file from the first CD is named "speech.clu" (instead of speech1.clu) and "speech2.clu" can't be found.

If you start ScummVM from a command shell, and set the debug level to at least 2, i.e. you use the "-d 2" command-line option like "scummvm -d 2 sword2", it should print a message whenever it cannot find a file it's looking for. Since ScummVM will look for both "speech.clu" and "speech2.clu", and compressed version of them, there will always be a few such warnings, but if the file cannot be found at all you would this whenever you try to examine something:

Code: Select all

File speech2.cl3 not found
File speech.cl3 not found
File speech2.clg not found
File speech.clg not found
File speech2.clf not found
File speech.clf not found
File speech2.clu not found
File speech.clu not found
If that's what you see, the file is either somewhere wheer ScummVM can't find it, or the file is misnamed. (E.g. it could be named "speech 2.clu" or "speech2,clu" or something like that.)

Come to think of it, ScummVM will look for compressed versions of speech.clu before looking for speech.clu, e.g. if you have a speech.cl3 and a speech2.clu you would probably have the problem you describe as well. But that doesn't seem very likely...
wo33er

Post by wo33er »

File speech1.cl3 not found
File speech1.clg not found
File speech1.clf not found
File speech1.clu not found

This is what i got in console when doing that, dont know if that helps, iv deleted any file named "speech" that isnt speech1.clu and speech2.clu... Iv also checked over and over that there definatly spelt perfectly. Any help ?

EDIT*
Clicking on all items in my Inv works without error, with speech
EDIT*
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

wo33er wrote:File speech1.cl3 not found
File speech1.clg not found
File speech1.clf not found
File speech1.clu not found
Odd. It should be looking for speech2 in the jungle, not speech1. And, judging from what you said earlier, it ought to have found speech1, too.

My Broken Sword 2 folder contains the following files:

carib1.clu
carib2.clu
carib3.clu
cd.inf
cluster.tab
credits.bmp
credits.clu
docks.clu
font.clu
general.clu
jungle.clu
music1.clu
music2.clu
paris.clu
players.clu
pyramid1.clu
pyramid2.clu
quaramon.clu
resource.inf
resource.tab
scripts.clu
speech1.clu
speech2.clu
startup.inf
text.clu
warehous.clu

And, of course, a "video" folder with all the cutscenes. The music files are about 141 MB each. The speech files are about 169 MB and 201 MB respectively.
frank_m24

Post by frank_m24 »

Hello,

which OS do you use? Linux? Maybe the filenames are case sensitive. I'm not sure, if the name is correct if they are copied from CD. If I remember rigth, I had to rename them. I think, the whole file names to lower case.

best regards

Frank
wo33er

Post by wo33er »

I had a hell of alot of files in my folder than the ones listed due to copying over every file on both CD's into one folder :P. I have now deleted everything apart from what you have named and unfortunatly no difference.

I am also running on Windows XP.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

wo33er wrote:I had a hell of alot of files in my folder than the ones listed due to copying over every file on both CD's into one folder :P. I have now deleted everything apart from what you have named and unfortunatly no difference.

I am also running on Windows XP.
And all files are where ScummVM can find them? As you can see, I placed all the files (except the cutscenes) in the same folder. To elaborate a bit, ScummVM will look primarily in the folder you pointed it to when you added the game. In addition, depending on the game it may look in a few folders inside that one. In the case of Broken Sword 2, it will look in any folder named "clusters", "sword2" or "video".

Again, the debug messages described earlier in the thread will indicate when it fails to open a file. While some failures are completely normal, it shouldn't fail on all the forms of the speech file name.

One more wild theory: Is your speech2.clu really copied from the second CD, or did you accidentally copy the one from the first CD twice? As I said before, the files have different sizes (at least in the English version), so it should be easy to tell them apart that way.

If that still doesn't help, the only thing I can think of are if you don't have permission to read the file, but that seems unlikely. I don't know how file permissions work under Windows XP anyway.
wo33er

Post by wo33er »

Speech1.clu : 172,129 kb
Speech2.clu : 205,807 kb

The game runs all files from the one directory and scumm points to that one directory. As for permissions id be clueless as to why it would not have permission to read it.

Truely Clueless
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

wo33er wrote:The game runs all files from the one directory and scumm points to that one directory. As for permissions id be clueless as to why it would not have permission to read it.
I'm running out of likely ideas. The only ones I have left are unlikely or downright insulting.

You have double-checked, I trust, that the folder you're looking at is the one ScummVM is playing it from? It would be rather ironic if you had one complete set of data files, but were accidentally pointing ScummVM towards an incomplete one...

See what I mean about me only having insulting ideas left? :)
wo33er

Post by wo33er »

Haha :P, yeah its definatly pointing at the right one :D. You have been really helpfull trying to get the game working for me though so thanks for that :).

Is there any chance that the new version breaks compatablity for the game from the old versions and noone checked to make sure CD2 worked ?.. or is the code untouched in that area to make a difference?

Thanks for all the help :P.