The Curse of Monkey Island

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's GP2X, GP2X Wiz and Caanoo ports

Moderator: ScummVM Team

BlackThunder

The Curse of Monkey Island

Post by BlackThunder »

Heya,

I just tried to play the game I said above. On your compatibility list it says 90%. Now I have two installation cd's so I may have done something wrong. I made separate folders for each cd and added each one to ScummVM. I probably should have placed it all together but I thought some files would override. Also, I am missing one file COMI.LA2. On the CD's the other COMI files exist and I copied them but where is the LA2 file that I am told to copy over?

The problem that is occuring is it is slow because the resolution hasn't been reduced. I can see this as the text at the bottom of the screen is distorted a lot.

Oh and I am running the SVN version.

Cheers

Jake
clem

Post by clem »

The ScummVM README has a full section dedicated to multi-CD games, CoMI is especially mentioned there too.

There should be a COMI.LA2 file, I don't know of any version of this game without that file.

Can't help you with the GP2X specific part of your post though.
BlackThunder

Post by BlackThunder »

DrMcCoy
ScummVM Developer

Post by DrMcCoy »

BlackThunder wrote:http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/1043/comi2fx6.jpg - CD 2

No COMI.LA2 in sight :(
Look again
BlackThunder

Post by BlackThunder »

Oh Dang!

Bloody hell.....Can't believe I missed it.

But what about the slowness?
DJWillis
ScummVM Porter

Post by DJWillis »

BlackThunder,

Below is a direct quote of the reply to the PM you sent me. I know some of the questions have already been answered in the thread but I can't be bothered to edit the reply and most of it is relevant ;).
Hi Jake,

What compatibility list are you looking at?

The GP2X port/backend in common with all the other non-PC ports has its own compatibility list that is supplemental to the main one.

http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/GP2X/ ... .0_Release

(Use the 0.10.0 list over the current SVN list as a lot has changed in current SVN of late).

For note: the COMI.LA2 is on the 2nd CD, I have just checked my various versions and it is there on all of them.

As you can tell from the compatibility list, COMI is unlikely to ever be fully supported on the GP2X due to the high graphical and processing requirements of the game.

The code I use to fit the graphics on the screen is crude at best (in simple terms every other pixel is removed to make the screen 'fit'). As you mention it is quite unpleasant to look at but it is the only real option I have to maintain the 40-50% of full speed. Cleaning up each frame would leave the game running at about 8% of full speed (i.e. not worth the effort).

COMI is apparently fully completeable on the GP2X (yes, people have been daft enough to play it all the way through) but I can’t see how it would be a very pleasant experience. If you’re desperate to try, the version used to complete COMI was 0.9.1.

I am always looking at ways to speed up games and the port in general so COMI performance will improve but it is never going to run at full speed on the GP2X. It is also not a game I regularly test (well I can’t test anything at the moment as I have no GP2X but that is not the point ;))

The focus for the GP2X port is not to get COMI working but rather to optimise and bug fix other games for the GP2X 1st (the ones that run at or near to 100% of full speed). There are a large number of fixes in the soon to be released 0.11.0 version (I should have another test release out today if I get time) but I doubt there will be much benefit for COMI in the release.

Regards,

John Willis