ScummVM 0.11.0 Pre-Release Snapshot Build

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's PocketPC/HandheldPC port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

knakos
ScummVM Porter

ScummVM 0.11.0 Pre-Release Snapshot Build

Post by knakos »

Santa has a gift for you under the virtual Xmas tree this year. Go ahead and unwrap it.

This is mainly a test release to allow you to playtest the two new engines that have been added in ScummVM for the games: Lure of the Temptress (one of my all-time favorite adventures) and I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream. If you haven't noticed it by the way, Lure of the Temptress has been freewared by Tony and the guys in Revolution and they have kindly allowed us to distribute it from our website as well. You will also need to separately download the engine data.

No bug fixes have been performed for the tracker items still open, except from some under-the-hood stuff. They will be addressed in time for the next release.

In particular though, the 'Free Look' action has been improved for the PocketPC users (devices with a stylus). The changes have been performed to allow playing lure in a more fluent fashion. It is strongly recommended to only play Lure of the Temptress with the "Free Look" action enabled on PocketPC devices. The improved free look action also works in all other games except lure. The new behavior is this, when turning on free look: not only you can hover the mouse over the screen without registering a click (previous behavior) but if you tap again near the last mouse position you will register a left click. To enter a right click, simply point the stylus somewhere and press the 'Right Click' action. One quick rule to remember the behavior is that a left click equals to 2 taps in close proximity. I hope you'll get the hang of it :)

Also for lure, the default menu behavior is changed somewhat, by printing all the popup menu items at once (not requiring scrolling). This has not been fully tested so we encourage bug reports when/if at some point the menus get too large to fit the screen.

Once more, head on to the bug tracker to report any problems.

Kostas
Last edited by knakos on Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Adventureguy

Post by Adventureguy »

Yay! Thanks Santa, err, knakos! That's the best present I got this Xmas (well, not really, but it's great, anyways). Can't wait to test my games it over the holidays. Happy Holidays, everyone!
DrMcCoy
ScummVM Developer

Post by DrMcCoy »

A greek bearing gifts? I'd be beware... :shock:

;)
knakos
ScummVM Porter

Post by knakos »

ho ho ho :twisted:
TeknoJuce

Post by TeknoJuce »

Works great so far! great work on the port! no problems as of yet...
NLS

Post by NLS »

Thanks Kosta!

Please guys consider updating the MAIN download page, remove the old obsolete WinCE "daily build" link (buhahahaha) and have this file there!

I missed it and by chance found it by reading the forum (I don't read the forum all the time)! But here at work that I read about it, I have no way to send the file to my PDA and check it out and have to wait for this evening. :(

(ps. still waiting for a real update from you to that OTHER project... ahem)
NLS

Post by NLS »

Kosta, missed my last pm above, I think.

Anyway, this build doesn't work with my device at all in normal mode. Freezes at the "busy" icon.

FSC Loox 720, PPC2003SE, 128MB RAM, VGA

I dropped the files over my (before the new build working) SCUMMVM folder.

I tried in a "safe mode" (device almost factory) and after some a bit long delay, seems to work... so something confuses it that didn't confuse the previous version. Any idea?

Edit: After some more testing, seems even then the new version does not work. If I select a game (that worked before), it drops me to "desktop".

Edit 2: Well, three games worked so far. Day of the Tentacle (Floppy/DOS/Eng), FotAQ (Floppy/DOS/Eng), Gobliiins (CD), but NOT BaSS (v0.0348 floppy).
Lostech

Post by Lostech »

I can confirm this happens also on a Loox N560 with WM5. The old version 0.10.0 (Jun 17) does run, but not this newer snapshot version.
spookypeanut
ScummVM Developer

Post by spookypeanut »

That's interesting: I'm running it fine on a Loox N560... can you list which games don't work for you, so i can test them specifically?
NLS

Post by NLS »

try the one I mentioned at first...
Lostech

Post by Lostech »

For example DOTT crashed and The Dig.
All other applications had been closed before I started ScummVM so it should have enough memory.
I´m running the Loox also still on the originally WM5 firmware and not on the inofficial WM6 firmware.
NLS

Post by NLS »

and I am running on a PPC2003SE device with plenty of RAM (128 of which about 50 available)...
knakos
ScummVM Porter

Post by knakos »

As I have remarked here I expect to see memory issues cropping up in the upcoming release due to the ever increasing size of the scummvm executable. 2003SE or 2002 users can try increasing the available RAM and reducing the storage to help the situation. WM5+6 users cannot do much but just close (terminate) as many applications as they can. We may also be having some intrinsic OS problem with process & heap memory space in windows ce which I'm not aware of; I will look into this.

Unfortunately, this increasing requirement for RAM can only be dealt with efficiently at the architectural level. The hard part has already been done, namely the build system has been changed over to support building plugins. What remains is a rather sensitive change in the guts of scummvm which has been initially discussed and will be realized after the release.

Cheers,
Kostas