ScummVM DS 0.11.0 beta1 released for testing! [obsolete]

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Nintendo DS port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

tomten

Post by tomten »

Shtroodle wrote:I'd like to ask if anyone tried to run Amiga version of Waxworks on this build. I know agentq doesn't mention it's supported but I was just curious.
Hm, could you explain why in the world Waxworks would work on this build? I can think of at least 2 compelling reasons why it wouldn't, but I won't force them on you.
Shtroodle

Post by Shtroodle »

tomten wrote:
Shtroodle wrote:I'd like to ask if anyone tried to run Amiga version of Waxworks on this build. I know agentq doesn't mention it's supported but I was just curious.
Hm, could you explain why in the world Waxworks would work on this build? I can think of at least 2 compelling reasons why it wouldn't, but I won't force them on you.
Quoting from ScummVM website:

"It is time to announce our next Big Testing SeasonTM. This means that pretty soon you, our fellow users, will see the new and shiny ScummVM version.
We have extended the set of our supported games by 8 new (or old :) ) games. The list includes: I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream, Lure of the Temptress, Elvira - Mistress of the Dark, Elvira II - The Jaws of Cerberus, Waxworks (Amiga version only), and early Sierra preAGI games Mickey's Space Adventure, Troll's Tale, and Winnie the Pooh in the Hundred Acre Wood."

Now I know this doesn't actually indicate that the new DS build is capable of running these games, but many older ones that were added to the previous builds had no problems whatsoever.

Another quite important thing is the fact that Elvira, Elvira 2 and Waxworks from Horrorsoft use the same AGOS engine.

I apologize if my question sounded out of place, but this wasn't my intention.

Could you tell me about these two reasons you mentioned earlier?
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

Please, if you have the game, try it. It way well work. Use the same build that plays Simon the Sorcerer.
Roman

Post by Roman »

I don't know if it has been said already, but Future Wars doesn't seem to work with this build. Tried the English and German DOS and the English Amiga version. All of them start and end with a blackscreen. No error messages in the console.
Tramboi

Post by Tramboi »

Yep it has been noticed, it is probably the same bug than with Gobliiins. Let's wait for the next beta! :)
johnzo

Post by johnzo »

This is my first foray into scummvm and I have to say, it's awesome!!

I downloaded the new beta and I played through Sam and Max for about an hour with no problems. I also booted up Loom (CD version) for a couple minutes, and Beneath a Steel sky (sound was a bit distorted at high volume points during the intro) and both seemed to run without errors.

I haven't tried the new scaler feature (CPU scaler checkbox?), since the above games are talkies, but I can try it out on monkey 1 later.

Great work!
tomten

Post by tomten »

Shtroodle wrote:We have extended the set of our supported games (...). The list includes: (...) Waxworks (Amiga version only)
Sorry, I missed that announcement and checked the compatibility rating for Waxworks instead, which is only 10% in the main branch (Elvira 1 is 90%!). I also thought this was a "bastard" version of the AGOS engine used without permission. But I see now that the (main branch) details say "game is playable". I also thought support had to be added for each game explicitly when making the NDS version, but that doesn't appear to be so?

EDIT: Just tested Waxworks (floppy version, extracted from the 10 disks), it works like a charm. That means all three Elvira-y games work fine.