Howto install ScummVM on a locked german tmobile iphone?

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's iPhone port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

crazy_achmed

Howto install ScummVM on a locked german tmobile iphone?

Post by crazy_achmed »

Hi, iam a totaly noob getting its iphone yesterday. It is locked and only usable to my tmobile phone account (here in germany the only company who may sell this phone) wich i want to keep.
And now i want to install scummvm on it but i have no idea how to start. I think first i should do something to make my iphone able to install such unnative software? I read something about jailbreak, is this what i have to do first?
And how do i do this? Or is there maybe a howto availabe wich explains the whole process in every detail?
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

This isn't really the place to ask. Googling for "iphone" and "jailbreak" should give you what you need easily enough.
crazy_achmed

Post by crazy_achmed »

Ok, but i thought that a "Iphone Port" board would be the right place to talk about getting these Port to work, especialy if it only work when doing things for wich the device is not made for.
But i searched the web a little bit and i think that these whole jailbreak process (wich includes a firmeware downgrade and the danger to loose all pesonal settings) is to dangerous for me, so i have to abandon i think, at least until the february 2008 when a software developement kit will be released directly from apple to allow people to create own software, maybe the scummvm iphone port will be recreated with this tool.
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

crazy_achmed wrote:Ok, but i thought that a "Iphone Port" board would be the right place to talk about getting these Port to work, especialy if it only work when doing things for wich the device is not made for.
It's about the same thing as asking how to install Windows on the more general forums :P.
crazy_achmed wrote:But i searched the web a little bit and i think that these whole jailbreak process (wich includes a firmeware downgrade and the danger to loose all pesonal settings) is to dangerous for me, so i have to abandon i think, at least until the february 2008 when a software developement kit will be released directly from apple to allow people to create own software, maybe the scummvm iphone port will be recreated with this tool.
I haven't heard of anyone managing to brick (ruin) their iPhone/iPod Touch with this procedure, but there's never any guarantees with this kind of stuff.

And since we know absolutely nothing about the Apple SDK or how they plan to allow 3rd party software, don't assume much in that area.
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

Vinterstum wrote:And since we know absolutely nothing about the Apple SDK or how they plan to allow 3rd party software, don't assume much in that area.
Didn't they send out an e-mail a couple of months ago?
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

clone2727 wrote:Didn't they send out an e-mail a couple of months ago?
Nope. They posted a brief note in their news section saying they're releasing an SDK early next year, but that was pretty much it.
crazy_achmed

Post by crazy_achmed »

I mean i would LOVE to see such a scummvm icon on my iphone display next to the others but iam afraid doing something wrong. i read that there where cases of jailbreaked iphones stopped working after a new firmware release. And i did not want to lose my personal settings (wich i did not know how to save) or get higher bills for downgrading (wich happened especialy here in germany for owners wich donwgraded to firmware 1.1.1)