Stereo and 22 khz audio available?

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Symbian (mobile phones, etc) ports

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Maveric

Stereo and 22 khz audio available?

Post by Maveric »

Hi!

Do you now have stereo and 22khz support in your latest build? Or will you be making such a version soon?

Except for better audio quality, will it increase performance on stereo phones?
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

Stereo can be turned on through a setting in the sdl.ini file, I will try to make some instructions when I find a minute over. As for sampling rate, this is true too, but the difference between 22 khz and 16 khz is not that great (not in the phone anyway).
Maveric

Post by Maveric »

Why have you disabled the "joystick-button" in your later version of ScummVM? It was nice to be able to use it. Now I can't assign it to anything.

Also, the configurations I do in ScummVM, including finding games is not saved when I exit the program. I have to do it all again everytime I start.

I have to assign the buttons everytime to the ones I want to use :(
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

1. The joystick button has not been disabled, now its used as a action key so you can assign the number keys to more things. The reason for this is as other key combinations was harder to press dependning on the model of phone.
2. With the later versions the installation directory has changed from EScummVM to ScummVM and also the documents folder. So you will need to uninstall and then reinstall to get all things right. Backup the .ini file if you want to keep the settings. If the documents\scummvm folder has n't been created no settings will be saved. So check if you have the documents\scummvm folder.
Maveric

Post by Maveric »

Thanks, it worked!

But what about the stereo configuration? Do you have instructions on how to do it available now?
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

Abit busy at the moment, but lets see what I can come up with. As for 22 or 16 khz sound, it is not that big differrence, in the old games the samples was only 11 khz any way so. But stereo makes a difference :-) Most of all getting rid of that downmix to mono.
Maveric

Post by Maveric »

*Waiting patiently for your instructions for stereo* :) I hope it will give the games an even better sound experience (using headphones). But most of all; even better performance. Will it be a notable difference you think?

Then, the only problem left (in some games) is the rather slow mouse speed. I hope that is improveable.

I thought the talkie version of Indy 4 was incompatible with this symbian port(?) Is it? I haven't tried the talkie version yet, but I have looked at the demo clip (no gameplay though(?), and it worked great! Great audio!
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

There should n't be any problems with Indy4 as far as I know, just memory that might be an issue for some devices.
Maveric

Post by Maveric »

What about my other questions?

Where exactly will you post instructions on how to change to stereo?
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

The WIKI would be a good place I guess.
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

I am right now building new cvs versions, with a small query to use stereo or not. Of course.. if you answer YES on phones not supporting stereo, nothing will be heard.
Maveric

Post by Maveric »

Ok, that sounds good. So I will get a question when running ScummVM if I want to use stereo or not? Or will there be an option in the configuration menu?
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

You will get the question when running scummvm and the option has not been set. If you want to change it afterwards the setting is in the sdl.ini text file. Transfer it to your pc and edit it there.
Maveric

Post by Maveric »

Ok. Tell us when you have finished it.

Thank you!
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

Well you can test it on anotherguest.b0.se/cvsbuilds (It has been there for the last couple of days). The V1 installer is abit wrong (installing in ScummVMS60 instead of ScummVM) but otherwise it should be ok.