How to click hard-to-click things! :)

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's iPhone port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

TomFrost

How to click hard-to-click things! :)

Post by TomFrost »

I've been doing this for awhile to play Monkey Island, and it occurred to me that not everyone may have stumbled onto this.

To perform actions on small objects that are hard to tap with no magnification, and especially to choose the appropriate dialog responses when talking to someone, use a right-click.

For example, when choosing a response to an insult in Monkey Island, it's incredibly important that you choose the correct one. So place your left finger anywhere on screen, drag it into the responses, and keep moving until the response you want is highlighted. Then hold your finger there and tap another finger on the screen to right-click it. You'll hit the response you intended to hit every time.

In most games, right-click functions similarly to left-click. Doing this with various objects on screen will perform a pre-chosen default action on them, which is convenient as well -- like with ringing the bell in the shopkeeper's store in MI1, for example. Trying to left-click that could take 10 minutes to get right! :)

Enjoy!
Last edited by TomFrost on Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sandman4sure

Post by sandman4sure »

So if I put left finger on a door and the default is 'open' it will trigger this with the right-click (tapping right finger)?

If so, that is great!!! Thanks for the hint!
TomFrost

Post by TomFrost »

sandman4sure wrote:So if I put left finger on a door and the default is 'open' it will trigger this with the right-click (tapping right finger)?

If so, that is great!!! Thanks for the hint!
Exactly! No needing to tap 8 times until you finally hit that little group of pixels where the door is-- Just side a finger until the screen says "Door", leave your finger there, and tap another :)
sandman4sure

Post by sandman4sure »

Well, I'm playing MI now with the right-click, and it works GREAT! Thanks again, I finally can ring the little bell :)
PeterCats

Also you can use the keyboard for anything in MI

Post by PeterCats »

SOMI is particularly fiddly with all of it's extra actions and loads of dialogue.(also all the inventory items are words and not icons.)

But fortunately you can use the keyboard for controlling much of the game.

For example when engaged in dialogue a keystroke of number 1 through to number x (usually 4) will allow you to choose the required response. (The upper most response being number 1)

The actions also have keyboard short cuts:
O : Open
C : Close
S : Push
Y : Pull

W : Walk to
P : Pick up
T : Talk to
G : Give

U : Use
L : Look at
N : Turn on
F : Turn off

When working with items (such as combining items or selecting an item to view. e.g. the map)
You can simply refer to the item by its relative position in the list.
E.g. If you want to Use the Map (where your inventory is scrolled in such a way that the map is the 2nd item in the list.)
The keystroke combination would be to press U then the number 2.

It's fiddly.. but appreciated when you need a level of exactness that the screen isn't providing.