GTA hack opens possibility for ScummVM on 2.5/2.6?

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's PSP (PlayStation Portable) port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

morphose

Post by morphose »

joostp wrote: Right now it's not worth the trouble and inconvenience of using a really buggy version of the port IMHO
eh well ...some of us start drooling just by seeing guybrush on a portable device so :)
Allandor

Post by Allandor »

Nemesis-Berlin wrote:The Old Beta1 Version of Scummvm works with the GTA Eloader on FW 2.60
mhh... not on mine, maybe because of the german gta?

I've testet the old beta, 0.8 and 0.8.1 of scummvm but the only thing I get is a black screen :(

so I think we must wait and hope a little bit longer :(
db92

Post by db92 »

no need for such worries any more i hope, ive heard rumours of sony's upcoming firmware version (3.0) fully supporting homebrew. i dno about its validity however... :D id post a link to the report here but i dont remember if that's allowed, i haven't been here in a while..
kraft

Post by kraft »

im 90% sure it was a rumour
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

I can't imagine Sony ever doing that - its just not in their nature. See how they handled the whole audio cd rootkit thing?
kraft

Post by kraft »

yeah it was a rumour...
sony have only been updating FW cause of homebrew..on 1.5 homebrew you can get ISOs so you can download psp games so sony would not allow homebrew cause it would allow more people to download their games
joostp
ScummVM Developer

Post by joostp »

kraft wrote:yeah it was a rumour...
sony have only been updating FW cause of homebrew..on 1.5 homebrew you can get ISOs so you can download psp games so sony would not allow homebrew cause it would allow more people to download their games
Not necessarily.
They could allow running homebrew from a restricted environment that would pretty much make it impossible to run ISOs (just as you currently can't from usermode in 2.00 and upwards).
It's just that there's nothing to be gained for them allowing homebrew to run. In fact, quite the opposite, as they make their money on software (games) sales and not hardware.
kraft

Post by kraft »

do ISOs need full access to kernal mode to run? cause since they upgraded to FW 2.0 its only allowed partial kernal access
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

joostp wrote: It's just that there's nothing to be gained for them allowing homebrew to run. In fact, quite the opposite, as they make their money on software (games) sales and not hardware.
You could argue though that there are hardly any decent games for the PSP, therefore Sony must still be taking a hit in the pocket because of this. I'm still deciding which handheld route to go ..... NDS, PSP or GP2X. One day I'll decide on one or the other, probably when the DS Lite is released.

Jimbob
kraft

Post by kraft »

yeah there arnt many good games for psp thats why sony announced that theyre gona be brining ltos of games from the ps2 over to the psp..i dont see how theyre gona do this when the umds only hold 1.8gb
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

kraft wrote:yeah there arnt many good games for psp thats why sony announced that theyre gona be brining ltos of games from the ps2 over to the psp..i dont see how theyre gona do this when the umds only hold 1.8gb
I see they are being very creative taking this route ;-)
db92

Post by db92 »

well i at least hope there's a bug in the future versions for downgrading capability :D :shock: 8)
blocq

Post by blocq »

kraft wrote:do ISOs need full access to kernal mode to run? cause since they upgraded to FW 2.0 its only allowed partial kernal access
yes! devhook, umdemulator etc.. all need full access to the kernel mode..
in FW2.0 the most is in usermode..