Keyboard and mouse input - suggestions and problems #2

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's iPhone port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

baklava

Post by baklava »

Is it even possible to recreate the scrolling functionality of the iPhone using the scummVM skinning system? I don't know if you already have tested an iPhone or iPod Touch, but scrolling is done in a much more intuitive way than with regular scrollbars.
Coding wouldn't be of a problem, my only problem currently is time. :wink: I'll see what I can do in the next few weeks.
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

baklava wrote:Is it even possible to recreate the scrolling functionality of the iPhone using the scummVM skinning system? I don't know if you already have tested an iPhone or iPod Touch, but scrolling is done in a much more intuitive way than with regular scrollbars.
Coding wouldn't be of a problem, my only problem currently is time. :wink: I'll see what I can do in the next few weeks.
The whole touch-and-drag scrolling would be tricky, and would require some custom code.

Since this would only be for a couple of places (file selection dialog and game selection dialog), I'm not sure it's worth it (at least for now).

A custom skin with some big scrolling buttons would be nice though!
TomFrost

Post by TomFrost »

Vinterstum wrote:New stuff this version:
* Sound support! (For compressed audio: Ogg only, no MP3 yet)
* MPEG2 support (for the Broken Sword intros. They play, but are very slow for now)
* rotane's excellent new icons :)
I've been refreshing this thread like a crazy man, praying for these lines to appear! You've made my day! :D
Vinterstum wrote:
featurex wrote:@ Vinterstum's

Anything new from adding scummvm to the installer?
Not yet. Sent a PM to the guy on irc, but I think we're on very different timezones.
You actually don't need anyone's help for this -- starting with version 3 of Installer.app, it became possible to enter in your own sources. So you could run your OWN repository (which consists of a simple XML file on a webserver), people could type in the URL of that XML file into their iPhones/Pods, and you're all set! Every time you update the version, you make the appropriate change in the XML file, point it to the new version of the program, and everyone's device gets the change.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to list your app with one of the mainstream repositories like Ste or Conceited once you're ready for a full release, but while we're testing like this, setting up your own little repository might be the best option :)

Edit: I'm running the new version right now, and it's absolutely fantastic! Your speed with this completely blows me away. Excellent work :) This is blowing all other game options for iPhone/Pod out of the water!

Some things I've noticed, for future thought:
  • Mouse pointer's upper-left corner is being placed where the touch is, instead of its center. The actual "click" seems to be going in the right place, though :)
  • Some incompatibility: CD version of MI1 goes to the LucasArts logo at the beginning and stops animating, while the music keeps going. You never see the game's title screen. ESC takes you past that, however. VGA Loom goes immediately to a black screen and doesn't leave without ESC. Then it shows a starry sky and doesn't proceed without ESC. The EGA versions of these games (and VGA version of MI1) don't have this issue.
  • VGA version of Loom (the one with the single 50+meg MP3 file) has no sound. Edit: I didn't even realize you already said that wouldn't work -- apologies ;-)
  • An under-the-finger magnification would be amazing :)
Thank you thank you thank you for the incredible release! :)
Last edited by TomFrost on Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TomFrost

Post by TomFrost »

SpARC wrote:Tomorrow I will try ger Full Throttle, but don't you need right mouse button for it?
Right mouse button is implemented :) Put your finger down where you want to right-click, and tap another finger. It's like ESC, except with a single tap. You can use this in Sam & Max to change the current action as well :)
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Split these posts from the big iPhone thread too

Unfortunately, it's not possible to merge different threads in phpBB, so I'm locking this one - please continue relevant discussion in this thread:
http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=4743

Sorry for the inconvenience