Keyboard and mouse input - suggestions and problems #2

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's iPhone port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

sinaloe

Keyboard and mouse input - suggestions and problems #2

Post by sinaloe »

I have downloaded your new version (Nov 10 2007 11:11:28 AM) but the clicking does not work at all for my 1.0.2 iphone. :-(
Last edited by sinaloe on Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mondocondo

Post by mondocondo »

I had an idea for the whole F5 save menu, you could hold finger on screen and double tap with the other (like the right click)
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

sinaloe wrote:I have downloaded your new version (Nov 10 2007 11:11:28 AM) but the clicking does not work at all for my 1.0.2 iphone. :-(
Hmm, weird. Unfortunately I don't have access to an ipod/iphone with the 1.0.2 firmware, so it's hard to figure out what the problem is.

Next build I put out, I'll add some more debugging console output for input events (which means you can start scummvm via SSH instead of via the Springboard, and see what's happening).
alden wrote:save game support would be kick ass, is it hard to programm?
Simply opening the menu isn't hard, that's just a matter of deciding on what input method to use (hold one finger and double-tap with another as mondocondo suggested, or shaking the whole device to trigger it via the accelerometer, or using some mouse gesturing stuff). Double-tap with the second finger would probably be the simplest. I'll see about implementing that tomorrow.

The stickiest part that remains is the keyboard input, but that's not strictly required for that many games (getting past the copy protection of MI is the biggest blocker due to that, I guess).
mondocondo

Post by mondocondo »

on the text input, could you do it so that when a input is required it automatically triggers the keyboard?
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

mondocondo wrote:on the text input, could you do it so that when a input is required it automatically triggers the keyboard?
Hopefully I can use the inbuilt iPhone soft keyboard, but I haven't looked at that part at all yet. In either case it'll probably require some sort of activation (mouse gesture) to pull up though, our game engines don't have any way of telling the backends that keyboard input is desired.
mondocondo

Post by mondocondo »

in safari, the keyboard comes up when you click an input field, maybe you could set it up like that.
also ealier i tried inherit the earth on my ipod worked fine, but when i click the diskette in the bottom right hand corner to bring up the menu my ipod crashed.
eddyvh

Post by eddyvh »

one question:
in monkey 1 .. is´nt there f5 used for save menu? there it isnt working..
sinaloe

Post by sinaloe »

@eddyvh Yes, it is F5. It works for me with monkey island 1 :-)
Klaus

Post by Klaus »

Nice! Though, for me F5 is more like "hold one finger down and swipe it up".

Now if you get sound running this is THE iphone killer app!

Thanks!
Copse

Post by Copse »

Great work Vinterstum!

Everyting works great for me, except the mouse/finger crosshair is little of, slightly below and little to the right of my fingertip. Using your latest version. If you can fix this it would be great :)

Thanks again!
tomat3

Post by tomat3 »

seems like i am too dumb, but i cant get MI1 to open the f5 dialogue...

put one finger in the screen, add the 2nd and move that 2nd fast upwards?!
mondocondo

Post by mondocondo »

slide your finger down not up
rotane

Post by rotane »

featurex wrote:
rotane wrote:Scrolling is kinda difficult, but it is possible to do. You have to hit the bar to the right with the tip of your finger - but take into account that the mouse pointer is slightly off (a bit too much to the lower right).
Maybe i'm doing something wrong - double tap then scroll or tap, hold and tap with oder finger???

thx for the help sofar :)
No, scrolling this way doesn't work (as far as I can tell), just tap the empty part of the scrollbar - not the slider itself. Or try to hit the down-arrow a few times (but this one really is hard to hit).
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

Scrolling is a bit tricky, yeah.

Basically, we can't do click-and-hold (which you'd need to actually drag the scrollbar down). If we had, every time you press the touchscreen it would register as a click (in other words, you could never move the mouse without clicking).

Oh, and for a quick update:

Still working on sound, gonna take a bit longer than I thought. Also, hoping to get ScummVM added to Installer.app tomorrow.
Last edited by Vinterstum on Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yixian

Post by Yixian »

Why not scroll using two fingers on the screen? Like two fingers on a MB/P keyboard scrolls in the direction you drag them?

And maybe use double tap for something useful? Zoom or alt click or something?