iPhone port changelog

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's iPhone port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

iPhone port changelog

Post by Vinterstum »

I resumed work on my own port a couple of days ago, just for fun.

So: To help the wait until ruudboy releases his stuff, you can try a prototype of mine :).

http://worldsmainorganization.org/scumm ... =iphone%2F

Both a binary and the source it was built from (patch against current ScummVM subversion trunk) is there. I'll also upload the patch to the patch tracker tomorrow, I think.

Note that I've only ever run this binary on my own iPod Touch, so I've no idea if it'll work for anyone else :)

How to install:
* Jailbreak your iPhone/iPod Touch (plenty of instructions elsewhere)
* Unzip the zip file, and upload ScummVM.app to /Applications
* Reboot your device
* Tap the ScummVM icon.

What works:
* Landscape mode screen, scaling all resolutions to fit the screen, with aspect ratio correction.
* Tap the screen to left-click (quickly hit the screen and release again)
* Hold one finger on the screen, and tap another to right-click.

What doesn't work:
* Sound
* Mpeg2 video
* Any sort of keyboard input, including the F5 save dialog, etc, etc.
* The current screen updating code is of the quick'n'dirty variety and is supremely inefficient. 640x480 resolution games do run slowly.
* The mouse input stuff doesn't take the aspect ratio correction into account, so accuracy is slightly off (not that you really notice given how inaccurate a finger tap is in the first place :) ).
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

I just uploaded a new build (same place, same filenames).

* Fixed the input handling up a bit
* Mouse cursors show more or less correctly now (some garbage left)
* Right-clicking by hitting the screen with a second finger, now triggers the hit at the position of your first finger :P
* Most importantly: You can double-tap to trigger an ESC keypress (lets you skip the intros and such).
baklava wrote:I have another suggestion for the keyboard part. You could check the acceleration sensor to see if the iphone is being rattled. That you could treat as F5 or something...
Yeah I've considered playing with that thing a bit :). Worth looking into at some point, at least. Maybe a quick shake up and down, something that wouldn't happen during normal operation.
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

New version uploaded:

http://worldsmainorganization.org/scumm ... dir=iphone

Changes:
* Removed double-tap as escape. It was conflicting with stuff in the launcher, and in a few games.
* Instead: Hold one finger, and doubletap another for ESC.
* Most importantly: Hold one finger and swipe another one upwards, for the save menu (at least in games where F5 is used for it). Saving and loading in general works fine now.

Hansi wrote:Just a thought but where is the prefrence file located? I can't seem to find it. Thought it would be a good idea to change the game paths in that instead of having to browse the menus because that's working very badly for me.
Should be easier now that you can double-tap for double-click again. But just in case, it's in /var/root/.scummvmrc
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

TomFrost wrote: It's all I can do to stop myself from playing them until the iPhone version of ScummVM gets sound!

Why, then you're only a quick download away :P

http://www.worldsmainorganization.org/s ... 071113.zip

New stuff this version:
* Sound support! (For compressed audio: Ogg only, no MP3 yet)
* MPEG2 support (for the Broken Sword intros. They play, but are very slow for now)
* rotane's excellent new icons :)
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

New snapshot :)

http://worldsmainorganization.org/scumm ... 071114.zip

Changelog:
* The hangs in COMI and Sam'n'Max should now be fixed (though COMI still won't work past the intro).
* BASS should now work
* Added hold-one-finger-and-swipe-the-other-from-bottom-to-top as a shortcut for typing '1' (as a temporary workaround until keyboard support gets in).

No repository yet I'm afraid. I took a look at their sample files, but they needed PHP5 which my webhost doesn't provide, and I didn't have the time to fix 'em up properly.
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

New version!

Finally got a repository together (thanks to TomFrost for the XML template and running his in the meantime :) )

Add this as a source in Installer.app: http://urbanfanatics.com/scummvm.xml
(yes, new domain, old one was a bit too error prone when typing in :P ).

Changes:
* Portrait mode (not very useful yet, but eventually the keyboard will appear under the game view in this mode). Just hold the iPhone the "normal" way to activate.
* Dirty-rects handling (basically: only updating the parts of the screen we need to. What this means for you: ScummVM will be running more effectively).
* Fixed the whole-screen-off-by-one-pixel bug.
* Fixed the mouse pointer being offset a bit.
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

Yet another version out :).

Repository: http://urbanfanatics.com/scummvm.xml
Direct download: http://urbanfanatics.com/scummvm/scummv ... apshot.zip

Changelist:

* Keyboard support is in. Just the "regular" iPhone keyboard for now. I've remapped the keys that are below the 1-0 keys, to be F1-10.
* Fixed an issue where some engines wouldn't recognize mouseclicks in some situations (meant you couldn't use the menu in Kyrandia 1. -May- be the issue in Gobliins as well, but I don't have a copy of that so I can't test).
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

split these posts away from the iPhone big thread
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

New version with a couple of things:

* Fixed a silly palette issue that was causing things like Guybrush appearing as a black blob in COMI, the menu being black in Indy4, and various things not fading in properly.
* Removed the swipe-up-for-1 workaround, and replaced it with a toggle for a click-and-hold-mousebutton mode. When this is enabled, you do an actual mouseclick as soon as you hit the screen and start moving your finger around (and release it when you lift your finger), instead of only clicking when you specifically do a quick tap.

This should make COMI actually playable, hopefully.
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

New version uploaded.

Only change, pretty much: MP3 support. I haven't gotten libMAD to compile with the optimized ARM routines yet so I dunno how efficient it'll be, but at least it's there :P.
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

Another update:

Optimized some screen handling stuff, which mainly affects the AGOS engine (Simon the Sorcerer should run a lot better now).
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

New update (20071123_2046).

* Fixed a screen drawing bug that caused occasional crashes, especially in COMI.
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

Another minor update (20071124_0021):

* Broke portrait mode a bit in the last update. Fixed.
* Did some minor display and mouse cursor optimizations (your framerate won't drop when you move the "mouse" around a lot anymore).
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

New update: 20071124_2250

* A mouse-moved event is now always sent before a click-event is sent, which should fix the problems with clicking on things in Broken Sword
* Added a workaround which should take care of the issue where the cursor would get "stuck" as if you were always holding one finger down.
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

New update: 20071125_1039

* When you hit the button, or receive a call, ScummVM won't exit anymore. Instead it'll go into a suspend mode where it spends most of its time sleeping, until you resume the app by launching it again.