Keyboard and mouse input - suggestions and problems

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's iPhone port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Don Leut

Post by Don Leut »

The current Version has no crosshair in MI1 and Simon the soccerer. By the way: StS is running quite slow.
sandman4sure

Post by sandman4sure »

Don Leut wrote:The current Version has no crosshair in MI1 and Simon the soccerer. By the way: StS is running quite slow.
I have a crosshair in MI1

It's the cd version (english) and the latest scummvm
sinaloe

Post by sinaloe »

In Day of the Tantacle and in Monkey Island 1 I realized something strange: If I ESC to often the cursor hangs and does not follow my finger anymore. And in that case the menu does not work the right way. If I do the tap and swipe it does not react but some time later it came up after a single tap.
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

sinaloe wrote:In Day of the Tantacle and in Monkey Island 1 I realized something strange: If I ESC to often the cursor hangs and does not follow my finger anymore. And in that case the menu does not work the right way. If I do the tap and swipe it does not react but some time later it came up after a single tap.
Yeah, once in while scummvm doesn't register that you've lifted both fingers, so you're basically "stuck" with scummvm thinking you're holding down one finger when you aren't, and visa versa. Not sure what's causing it yet.
fox1401

Post by fox1401 »

It could be great if the cursor is placed just above where I tap on the screen, since very often the item descriptions are blocked by my finger so I can't really see what I'm tapping on or if I've actually chosen an item.
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

Oh, if there are any other keys that need to be remapped, let me know :)
rotane

Post by rotane »

Woah man, you're a machine! 8)

And, it's working great! I only had to restart the iPhone before I could use it (ScummVM would get stuck on the loading screen and eventually quit to SpringBoard) - I didn't have to do this with previous versions. But I guess it's because of the keyboard feature.

Anyway, I quickly tested Monkey Island 2 (DOS/German), and keyboard input works! (Now you can remove the "click + swipe up" workaround again that gives you a "1" :wink:)

The remapped keys (F1-F10) work good too, as tested in LOOM (F5 for menu and F9 for displaying/hiding text).
markush8

Post by markush8 »

Though in the meantime I love the "click and swipe & click & doubleclick " feature. keep it!
rotane

Post by rotane »

markush8 wrote:Though in the meantime I love the "click and swipe & click & doubleclick " feature. keep it!
Sure, those 2 have to be kept!

I was simply referring to the workaround to enter "anything" for the copy protection of Monkey Island 2.

Click + swipe up would give you a "1"
this one can be dropped.

Click + swipe down for the menu (same as F5)
and
Click + doubleclick for rightclick
should be kept. :)
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Split these posts from the big iPhone thread into this one, please continue the discussion concerning keyboard/mouse input functionality and issues in this thread
tx0min

Post by tx0min »

what about a zoom-in/zoom-out feature? pinch-in/out will be great, like in photos or safari.

Also, I think a workaround to input a dot in lanscape mode is needed, in order to skip dialogues in lucasarts games. I know i can do it in portrait with the keyboard but it's a little annoying. Maybe a two-finger single click would do the thing.
TomGaines

Post by TomGaines »

Hi,
first I like to say: Keep up the great work! This project has been the final push for me to buy the iPod touch.

I really seem to have a problem with the two-finger combinations. I only get them to work some of the time.
For getting to the save menu I now use the keyboard.
What I would propose for the right-mouse click:
The possibility to switch on an icon in one of the corners of the screen. If that is pushed, either you switch between "left-click" and "right-click" mode for a single tab, or it results in a right-click on the current cursor position.

I do not know if something like this would even be possible.

Or does anybody have a hint about how to do those two-finger combinations. Maybe there some kind of trick to it.

For ESC: Is there a key on the keyboard for this?
SpARC

Post by SpARC »

Keyboard? Don't know..

Drag one finger and doubletap with the other.
ifletcher

Post by ifletcher »

hm, is there a way to show specific controls for specific games on the screen? if yes, you should really do that work and implement controls like that (picture above) for games which needs them, that's just an example for Full Throttle, where you have on the right buttons to drive left and right and the hit button at the left side, i think that would work pretty well and if it could be displayed automatically it would be incredible, and easy to use! it also makes the keyboard useless!

you could also add some specific controls for games like buttons for inventory in the dig f.e.!

just my idea, how to make it as cool as possible!
burgerkiller

Clickpoint offset

Post by burgerkiller »

fox1401 wrote:It could be great if the cursor is placed just above where I tap on the screen, since very often the item descriptions are blocked by my finger so I can't really see what I'm tapping on or if I've actually chosen an item.
Hi, first of all - this is some great piece of software for the iphone! The MI fever hit me again...

What I would suggest, however, is to correct the mouse cursor a little bit. It seems to me that there is a small offset to the right and down of the cursor point compared to the tap position.

Nice work, thanks!