Problems with Monkey Island 1 and 2 Sound.

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

philliyxx

Problems with Monkey Island 1 and 2 Sound.

Post by philliyxx »

You guys are probably tired of these topics because I read a few and none answered my question; so here goes.

I have the Monkey Island Madness Cd and My OS is Windows 2000. Both games M.I. 1 and 2 don't have sound effects or music. If I switch the option to adlib I can get sound effects but still no music on either game. I have computer speakers and a Cd player...

What is causing the background music to not play?
Biohazard

Post by Biohazard »

edit
Last edited by Biohazard on Wed Dec 14, 2005 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
philliyxx

Post by philliyxx »

What exe?
Ender
Retired

Post by Ender »

Erm, since this is the ScummVM forum, why not tell the guy to try ScummVM instead? :)

Anyway, I suggest you visit http://www.scummvm.org/, download the Windows Installer, and read the readme.txt file in the ScummVM folder.
Biohazard wrote:hey dude,
after installing, right click the exe and choose "run with vdms". works great for all old games on my win2k pro
pi

Post by pi »

Yeah, that's really an odd question to ask here, the response even more so. It's kinda like going to the car mechanic to have "that odd sound" checked, and he tells you to reattach your lose bumper with a chewing gum :|

No offense, though. It's always okay to ask. And VDMSound comes in really handy if you're trying to play old games on Win2k/XP

Regards,
pi~
Last edited by pi on Wed Dec 14, 2005 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Biohazard

Post by Biohazard »

@ender: i thought it wasnt a problem, because vmds and scumm are both freeware, so non-profit ! so wheres the problem ?! scummvm works really great on ppc and so on, but on windows based desktop pc vdms is easier to run.

i only wanted to help him.......

EDIT

Biohazard
Ender
Retired

Post by Ender »

Well, it's just a simple matter of the fact that we (being ScummVM) devs would prefer users to use ScummVM. Which has many bugfixes, scalers and other improvements over running the original engine.

We have nothing against anyone suggesting alternate software, but ScummVM is by far the best, fastest and easiest option for any kind of SCUMM games.
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

I think, if someone asks for help in a ScummVM forum, he is about to actually use ScummVM.
With the example of the car mechanics, anything else would be like asking the car mechanic to sell one some fresh fruit.

Concerning the problem, it's very strange as in Monkey2 Adlib sfx are basically the same as the music tracks, technically speaking. Usually they should play both or neither.
Or do you only hear sampled sfx, for example you can hear the spiting sound, but not the sound of picking up the shovel? If that's the case, the adlib tracks aren't played for some reason.

On Monkey1, if played with CD audio, you should check if it plays CD audio at all.
Though it is recommended to use compressed audio anyways, as it is more handy and a lot faster than the CD access times (spinning down to 1x speed, every time a track is played).
philliyxx

Post by philliyxx »

LogicDeLuxe wrote:I think, if someone asks for help in a ScummVM forum, he is about to actually use ScummVM.
With the example of the car mechanics, anything else would be like asking the car mechanic to sell one some fresh fruit.

Concerning the problem, it's very strange as in Monkey2 Adlib sfx are basically the same as the music tracks, technically speaking. Usually they should play both or neither.
Or do you only hear sampled sfx, for example you can hear the spiting sound, but not the sound of picking up the shovel? If that's the case, the adlib tracks aren't played for some reason.

On Monkey1, if played with CD audio, you should check if it plays CD audio at all.
Though it is recommended to use compressed audio anyways, as it is more handy and a lot faster than the CD access times (spinning down to 1x speed, every time a track is played).
How Do I check if it uses cd audio?
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

philliyxx wrote:How Do I check if it uses cd audio?
You don't. Monkey 1 uses cd audio, Monkey 2 does not.
You should follow the readme instructions on compressing the audio tracks, one of either 7.7.0, 7.7.1 or 7.7.2.
If you need a ripping tool, I recommend this: http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/
It has good error protection and works with any command line encoder, like lame.exe.