The Waxworks is open (DOS version too)

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Kirben

The Waxworks is open (DOS version too)

Post by Kirben »

ScummVM offers support for the Amiga version of Waxworks, produced by HorrorSoft.

The game could use more testing, to see if it is completable, and in order to find more bugs.

A recent daily build of ScummVM is required. Please check the known issues, before reporting any issues, and submit any bugs into the bug tracker.

Unfortunately there aren't any playable demos available.
Last edited by Kirben on Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
Kirben

Post by Kirben »

The DOS version of Waxworks should hopefully be completable too, with the next daily snapshots of ScummVM SVN.

Unfortunately the music is currently disabled, since it is too unstable when changing locations.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Great news :) Well done
Kirben

Post by Kirben »

No fans of the Waxworks out there? it would be very helpful if someone could play through the game under ScummVM.
Reckless

Post by Reckless »

I was going to say that it'd be one of those "hard to find titles" but there's actually one on eBay at the mo!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/WAXWORKS-ACCOLADE ... 638Q2em122

or indeed *if* they're still operating/shipping you can get it as part of the Elvira's Horror Pack for £15 (UK delivered) from the AdventureSoft website!

Doesn't look like my thing but kudos for supporting yet another title! Now if I could only find a copy of 'Touché: The Adventures of the Fifth Musketeer' :x
Ceri Cat

Post by Ceri Cat »

I'll have to give Waxworks a shot again. Had trouble with it and Touché (floppy) under DosBox when I tried them a while ago.

Reckless you missed out, I snagged a CD version of Touché a few weeks ago on EBay to replace my disk set. Nice to get good condition originals when you can, it's just a shame they don't turn up more often.
EugeneE

Post by EugeneE »

Well, I just bought the Elvira collection from Adventuresoft (still amazing that they sell these games almost 20 yrs later) which comes with the Dos versions of Elvira, Elvira 2 and Waxworks about 2 weeks ago.

The game finally came today.

Newer games are expensive, so I'm starting to buy older games again but I still love older games.
tikitang

Post by tikitang »

So, I've just started playing the DOS version of Waxworks on the latest version of SCUMMVM on Mac OSX.

Has there been any progress on a possibility of getting the music to work? It's a little "dead" not having that lovely Egyptian theme strumming in the background as I explore the gloomy interior of a pyramid.

But I suppose it's more realistic this way!
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

tikitang wrote:So, I've just started playing the DOS version of Waxworks on the latest version of SCUMMVM on Mac OSX.

Has there been any progress on a possibility of getting the music to work? It's a little "dead" not having that lovely Egyptian theme strumming in the background as I explore the gloomy interior of a pyramid.

But I suppose it's more realistic this way!
There is a GSoC task about this:
http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/OpenT ... IDI_parser
Kirben

Post by Kirben »

tikitang wrote:Has there been any progress on a possibility of getting the music to work? It's a little "dead" not having that lovely Egyptian theme strumming in the background as I explore the gloomy interior of a pyramid.
No, unfortunately an external sound library (from Accolade) was used for music in the PC version. The exact structure of the music format is unknown, and no specifications are available online either.

If the music code is currently enabled for the PC version, the game frequently crashes when changing scenes, due to invalid data been passed along.
tikitang

Post by tikitang »

How frustrating.

So what's the difference between SCUMMVM's issues with Waxworks, and when the game is run in DOSBox (and the music works)? Is it subject to the same crashing problem there too?
Kirben

Post by Kirben »

tikitang wrote:So what's the difference between SCUMMVM's issues with Waxworks, and when the game is run in DOSBox (and the music works)? Is it subject to the same crashing problem there too?
No, Waxworks under DOSBox uses the original game engine, while Waxworks under ScummVM uses a re-written game engine (with incomplete music support).

Each game engine is re-created in ScummVM, while DOSBox emulates the actual computer hardware.
tikitang

Post by tikitang »

Thank you for that explanation. It's a bit of a shame, though. I hope some day you can crack the problem!
tikitang

Post by tikitang »

Well, I'm trying to play through the London (Jack the Ripper) section, but it keeps crashing to desktop. :?

Any ideas?
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

tikitang wrote:Well, I'm trying to play through the London (Jack the Ripper) section, but it keeps crashing to desktop. :?

Any ideas?
Yeah, FAQ #5.6.

Eugene