Several troubles with scummvm (simon series, indy3,...)

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's PocketPC/HandheldPC port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

leprov

Several troubles with scummvm (simon series, indy3,...)

Post by leprov »

Hi everyone.

First, I really want to congratulate you for your work. As an embedded programmer, i really see the quality of your work and wanna thank everyone in scummvm team....(complaints are so often the only way people post that I wanna say it).

Now, I would have a little question. On my ppc (Acer n321, VGA screen 640*480, 400Mhz processor), some games don't work (or don't work properly) and I would know if there are some known issues in those behaviours, or if I do some things wrong...
So, I hope my awkward english is merely understandable (and that my problems will be clear).

So first, indy3 (fm towns version) had an unofficial french patch, and when I try to run this version, scummvm automatically shuts down. Is there a way the patch makes the game fail to load cause of some CRC32 or kinda thing like that? (this works on standard scummvm version)
second, simon games run pretty slow...since full throttle runs full speed with super2xSai, simon 1 (or 2) are so slow that it is absolutely unplayable in 2x. Is this due do a bad setting on my device? some optimisations of drawing routines in simon engine that aren't the best way for 2x scaling? if I run in 1x this runs perfectly, but on ¼ of the screen, this is tedious….

Thanks for your future answers.
knakos
ScummVM Porter

Re: Several troubles with scummvm (simon series, indy3,...)

Post by knakos »

Hi,
leprov wrote: So first, indy3 (fm towns version) had an unofficial french patch, and when I try to run this version, scummvm automatically shuts down.
If the game runs ok on desktop-scummvm, then setting debuglevel=1 and inspecting the scummvm stdout/err files could probably give you a clue on what goes wrong (the process is outlined in the readme).
leprov wrote:second, simon games run pretty slow [......] some optimisations of drawing routines in simon engine that aren't the best way for 2x scaling?
Yes, it's true that agos engine games seem to be running slow in comparison with games on other engines. I've not had the chance yet to take the time and pinpoint the reason. It could be the sound generation/replay, it certainly isn't the blit routines or it could be that only fullscreen updates are done by agos.

Kostas
leprov

Post by leprov »

Hi,

thanks for you so fast answer. I'll do it for indy3 (if i have time to) and come back to you (if it can helps of course).

About the slowdown in agos engine, if i disable sound the problem is still there (and i use uncompressed sounds too), so i assumed that wasn't because of it (but i didn't look at the code to see what could happen). If I look at the code before you correct it (I will probably do, i'm curious :)) i'll tell it